Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 07:33 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
No one wore their hair that way in the 1980s other than grannies with buns.

Of course, most ladies did wear buns in the 1880s.
They mean the undercut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 10:01 PM

39 posts, read 49,360 times
women shaving the sides of their heads only works if you are a "punk rocker"

if you are a high maintenance girly girl then its messed up

Old 07-03-2017, 10:04 PM

3,253 posts, read 2,338,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
What do you think of these styles? I personally don't like them but whatever. What is the style for women shaving the sides of their head called?
I don't like them either. To me it screams "I don't have a professional job and probably never will".

Old 07-03-2017, 10:30 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,879,306 times
This talk of man buns and white people with dreadlocks (a couple posts anyway) reminded me of this kid I saw the other day. Couldn't have been more than 13 sporting shoulder length really, really messy blonde dreads and an odd 5-inch lump of hair front and center over his forehead -- it was wrapped up with rubber bands. It looked like a floppy and diseased unicorn horn.

That wasn't a good look.

I had a partially shaved head way back in the 80s and the long floppy part hanging over one eye like the edgy kids did back then. Ha. I like the look still, but now I'm middle aged and my hair's not as thick as it once was. Would look ridiculous on me now.

Old 07-03-2017, 10:44 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,805 times
The worse was seen today at the market. the dumb bun, with those dangling loose hairs bouncing off the neck, along with Inca disc earings, assorted tatoos, and stars on the joints. WTF?, how do girls bring this man home to meet the parents? What happens when this guy is in his mid/late 30's, trying to be taken serious by employers?

The worst I have seen, is this mess of hair, followed by a chisled beard, on the wedding day, with tatoos peeking from under the formal attire. Poor wedding photo book.

Old 07-04-2017, 07:27 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,262,644 times
I like the shaved look on some women especially if they have a really pretty face and dress feminine. Length of sides makes a difference, too. Some keep it short others shaved down.

Old 07-04-2017, 07:37 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
I heard a comedian do a bit about man buns a while back--she said that on the one hand, a guy with a man bun looks like a douchebag, but on the other hand, he's probably pretty good in bed because he most likely does yoga and is thoughtful and enthusiastic about her pleasure. It's a catch-22 of sorts.

Old 07-04-2017, 10:14 AM

876 posts, read 813,512 times
Most of these trends have their origins in the entertainment industries. People see Jared Leto, Leonardo DiCaprio, or Jake Gyllenhaal with a man bun and think it will look good on them.

The don't stop and think that these types of guys, with their chiseled jaws, high cheekbones, and piercing eyes would look good no matter how they groom or don't groom themselves.

This is a celebrity worshiping culture. Some men and women follow trends that the stars set. Remember the Miami Vice era with the stubbly beard, sport jackets with the sleeves hiked up, no socks look? The man bun is just the latest iteration of the sheep following the herd.

Old 07-04-2017, 10:26 AM

662 posts, read 1,644,386 times
I'm not into looks or showing off at all. I'm 45 and recently got an undercut on both sides for practical reasons and wish I'd done it sooner! I have super thick and a lot of hair, so you can't tell unless I flip it way over on either side. My head feels lighter and my scalp can breathe. It's also one of the most versatile styles I've ever had: I can wear it in a low ponytail with sides not showing, a high ponytail if I don't care, parted down the middle or either side for a feminine look, or clipped back or far to the side for an edgier look. I didn't know it was called an undercut until my stylist told me. But I looove it!

As for the man bun, I've been an advocate since before they were in style, for practical reasons. If you're a dude with long hair, and don't want to wear a ponytail (which can cause breakage if done too often), a man bun is just another way to keep your hair up.

Who cares what it looks like or what people think - as long as you're comfortable with it and like it - that's my philosophy on hair.

Old 07-04-2017, 10:32 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,726,194 times
Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
What do you think of these styles? I personally don't like them but whatever. What is the style for women shaving the sides of their head called?
100% don't like the shaved hair look on women.

The man bun I can deal with... but it is not big turn on or off for me personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty