Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 09:05 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,624,543 times

Advertisements

Coconut Oil? I use it on my dry arms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 12:36 PM

81 posts, read 145,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vuluptos View Post
So you're telling me all those ads on TV about anti-aging products are just bogus? They're just ads trying to sell basic lotion calling it anti-aging?

I mean, I haven't done the fullest of research but what organic, natural alternatives can I use/do on a daily to weekly basis to help my situation?
The average consumer is terribly uninformed, even though all the right information can easily be accessed. I highly recommend Paula Begoun's book Don't Go the the Cosmetics Counter With Me. She debunks all the skincare myths out there. She really opened my eyes to the manipulative marketing tactics companies use to trick consumers into buying their products.

She touches upon the myth that "natural" products are good for you. Many "natural" ingredients are highly irritating and should never go near your skin. The ONLY "anti-aging" ingredients that are actually proven to work are sunscreen, retin-a, and vitamin C.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:58 PM

581 posts, read 456,211 times
Sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen. Broad spectrum, minimum of SPF 30 and bathe in it daily. I've been doing that my entire life, I'm 38 and have no wrinkles, not even a hint of crow's feet or eleven-lines.

Old 07-22-2017, 05:01 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
years ago the women would lay out in the sun.....try to get all tan,,,you could smell coppertone in many neighborhoods on a sunny day

years later they pay a price.....

lots of good advice hear,,,,, i remember reading the oil workers in the south outside had remarkable skin... and showed less signs of aging,,
mostly because they had oily residue on their face.....this is where petroleum jelly came from

Old 07-22-2017, 05:07 AM

775 posts, read 776,194 times
Tretinoin is wonderful but can only get it in the US by prescription. They sell it in Mexico OTC. Any other way to get it at a reasonable price? It is worth a trip to Mexico to get it there if one had the time.

Old 07-22-2017, 05:51 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpie99 View Post
The only proven anti-aging ingredients are sunscreen, retin-a, and vitamin C serum. The rest is marketing hype. Your first step should be daily sunscreen since sun damage is one of the major sources of external aging.
This. Sunscreen is THE most important, followed by retin-A and then vitamin C in my opinion. I use all three and have for many years and at 55 my skin looks pretty dang good.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 07-22-2017 at 06:52 AM..

Old 07-22-2017, 06:45 AM

1,122 posts, read 961,370 times
I have used Cetaphil Cleansing lotion for years on my face. I also use Intellishade® Original
anti-aging tinted moisturizer with sunscreen by a company called "Revision" which you can only get from Dermatologist. Unfortunately due to squinting I have lines under my eyes but have been using Clinique eye. I use Lancôme Advanced Génifique Youth Activating Serum which has made a huge difference for me.

Just a heads up - I just went on Amazon and it was selling Revision but beware - this is not original Revision but a fake. I also just read an article about the best skincare of 2017 and it stated - what is being sold on Amazon is definitely not original product. Someone is using same containers and filling with another item. I think I will approach Amazon about this. You really have to be careful.

Definitely avoid the sun and if you do gardening wear a hat. :-) I loved the beach in my youth (grew up only a mile from beach) as well as the sun but I quit probably in the late 70's...

Can I share a secret with you? Shaving your face is excellent for your skin as well. I buy these little razors and shave away. I actually learned about this after watching Caroline Manzo of the Housewives of New Jersey on Bravo. It exfoliates the skin. I will get a more updated photo but I was shocked. The razors I buy are by Shiseido. I'm telling you has made a huge difference and no my hair does not grow back all stubbly or black. Yes, I do have some spots from years ago on my chin of black hairs that grow out but I pluck with tweezers and I only have 4. Not a big deal. Boy I check on those daily and yank out. LOL Read online about shaving your face.... :-) I admit to being petrified to trying it but glad I did it! I use a great creme for shaving for women.

Last edited by CaliforniaGal; 07-22-2017 at 07:05 AM..

Old 07-22-2017, 09:09 AM

375 posts, read 319,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpie99 View Post
The only proven anti-aging ingredients are sunscreen, retin-a, and vitamin C serum. The rest is marketing hype. Your first step should be daily sunscreen since sun damage is one of the major sources of external aging.
Yep, was at my dermatologist this past week and was told the same thing!

Sunscreen is the very best thing you can do. Even if you aren't out in the sun a lot, it's the cumulative effect of the sun that ages you. Five minutes here, ten minutes there without sunscreen are just as damaging!

And don't forget your neck!

Old 07-22-2017, 05:56 PM

81 posts, read 145,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado Baby View Post
Tretinoin is wonderful but can only get it in the US by prescription. They sell it in Mexico OTC. Any other way to get it at a reasonable price? It is worth a trip to Mexico to get it there if one had the time.
An alternative would be Paula's Choice 1% Retinol. It is equivalent to 0.025% tretinoin. One bottle lasts at least several months and the retinol stays in your skin for several days, so daily application is unnecessary. It's $56 and currently free shipping. And no, I don't work for Paula's Choice. CLINICAL 1% Retinol Solution Treatment | Paula's Choice | Paula's Choice

Old 07-22-2017, 06:10 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,606,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vuluptos View Post
I'm only in my 20s but I'd love to use some kind of age reducing cream or lotion to better my skin.
What helped me the most in my 20s was to ditch the makeup, clean up my diet, get more sleep (8 hours), and drink more water.

As I recall, it took about 3 weeks, but everyone was asking me what I was doing. My skin went from patches of pimples with minor dark circles under my eyes to fresh and glowing. Disclaimer: I still had break outs into my late 40s. It was hormonal, but those times significantly decreased when I was exercising and taking care of myself.

And I can tell you now that I'm in my 50s that a lot of this is still true. Products can only do so much. You need to take care of your skin from within, first. Next is use a decent sunscreen and then moisturizers when needed.

I know this isn't quite what you asked, but makeup companies rake in big bucks trying to sell an image, and the truth is that the lifestyle changes I mentioned will do more good. Try it for 3 weeks if you doubt it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty