Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 09:01 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure how much compression my leggings have, they are not the athletic kind, but maybe even a small amount makes a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 09:02 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Because they are more like stockings than PANTS. And they are NOT pants, not by any stretch of imagination! (see the pun?)...but they aren't pants. They are leg coverings...that's all.
There are leggings that are considered pants! Not all of them are thin. Most leggings are made from spandex or cotton so they give and that is why they are comfortable. Jeans don't give.

Obviously they don't look good on everyone, but there are many different clothing items that look good on some and bad on others. Just depends on your body type. Another poster mentioned women who have large thighs shouldn't wear them, lol! I have large thighs from years of dancing. Dancers and gymnasts get large thighs, but I'm not large at all! I like wearing leggings under dresses in the winter or with a flowy shirt. Never thought I looked bad and I feel comfortable in them!

I think people should wear what they feel comfortable in and what they like!

Old 08-01-2017, 02:21 AM

2,129 posts, read 1,777,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
You must look good in them, then.

But there are some very large ladies, where I live, that wear leggings. Some of them have really large thighs. Shouldn't they be covering them up a bit more? Rather than wearing tight leggings, where everyone can see how large their thighs are?

Not meaning to be rude. But if I was very large, I'd be covering up a bit more.
Well I am a large small person. EG - I'm fat, but I'm short. And I wear leggings every chance I get. The only pants more comfortable are salwar (Indian women's slacks). My salwar NEVER bind or fall down.

In short (or tall) - you can cover up to your hearts content. I'll still be wearing leggings or salwar with nice flowy tunic tops, comfortable in all situations.

And yeah. I have ginormous thighs, and calves as well. That actually comes of having been a runner before I became disabled. They're just flabbier now where they used to be solid ropy muscle. Back in the day when I was still doing 2.5 miles in 15 mins, I had a guy tell me he couldn't "be with me" because of my big muscular legs. I asked him when I ever gave him the horribly mistaken impression I'd even CONSIDER his "being with me", LOL!

Old 08-01-2017, 03:43 AM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
I got some lightweight leggings, but they're just too hot here. I'm saving them for our move to the mainland, where I'll be able to wear things like sleeves and sweaters, too.

I'm apple shaped and have great legs, so leggings with a tunic look good.

Old 08-01-2017, 05:28 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,951,965 times
Quote:
They are not very flattering though, are they? Especially when 'larger' ladies wear them.
I only wear mine to go bicycling, work out at the gym, or doing laundry and other errands. Three instances when I couldn't give less of a rat's rear end what people think I look like.

And yeah, I have large thighs - from years of bike riding and gym workouts.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:31 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
I only wear mine to go bicycling, work out at the gym, or doing laundry and other errands. Three instances when I couldn't give less of a rat's rear end what people think I look like.

And yeah, I have large thighs - from years of bike riding and gym workouts.
It took me a while to come arpund to leggings this time around. They were a look when I was in elementary school, and high school. So I thought I was "too old" for a round 3.

I gave it go, since well of course they are comfy. And I have gradually started wearing them more. It works out to be 1-2 px a week. Basicslly when I am not wearing dresses.

My sister is picking on me for going full on casual to work sometimes. Her office is between business formal and casual. Mine is uktra casual - my casual is a lot fancier than my colleagues. I have been wearing some of the sporty leggings with mesh, sheer panels and cut outs to work. But if I am at work, the sheer panels need to be about the same height as a work appropriate outfit, and not too sheer. I.e. a mesh panel at the knee, calf or below mid thigh; not a fully sheer leg which would be obviously meant for workouts.

Since I am trying to fit in some after work workout classes, wearing the sports leggings are a time and space saver.

I wouldn't wear keggings to a wedding or formal party. But they work for casual and semi-casual ocassions paired with the right tops and shoes.

Old 08-01-2017, 11:33 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
I just wonder why conservatives get offended by leggings

Old 08-01-2017, 11:42 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
I prefer leggings and pants in general that are snug fitting and skim the leg. Pants that are billowing and loose have superfluous material and feel bulky/sloppy. At my age, what people think of how I look in my clothing of choice can blow it out their you know whats. Don't like it? Don't look at it - problem solved.

Old 08-01-2017, 11:45 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
They are not very flattering though, are they? Especially when 'larger' ladies wear them.
They are not very flattering though, especially when "smaller" females wear them and pretend they are
dressed up or dressed in business casual appropriate office attire........

Old 08-01-2017, 12:38 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,062,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jteskal View Post
I enjoy wearing them in the fall/winter with long sweater, jersey, etc. But I too have seen some very large women who did not need to wear them. I mean at work, extremely too tight, seeing every nook and cranny. It looks disgusting. No matter what size you are, where your size, it is more flattering and looks better.
Nah, they are still not for me. ^ And the bold bit above explains why. I haven't worn leggings since... I don't know... the 90's? I was a bit slimmer back then, and could get away with it!

If other people choose to wear them out of comfort though, it's up to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty