Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 06:06 AM

274 posts, read 237,642 times

Advertisements

I'm not overweight, but not every piece of clothing is flattering to my figure. When I ask my husband or someone else that question, I'm really asking "Is this outfit flattering on me?" If it makes me look heavier than I actually am, then I don't want to wear it. I want an honest answer because I don't have a good eye for what does and doesn't look good on myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 06:08 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,236,769 times
No need to ask, I can see myself in the mirror.

Old 08-01-2017, 06:53 AM

3,097 posts, read 2,002,297 times
Never asked as I have a full length mirror & can readily know what I look like.

And, no one's ever asked me if they looked fat in an outfit.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:37 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,627 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelia Shay View Post
I'm not overweight, but not every piece of clothing is flattering to my figure. When I ask my husband or someone else that question, I'm really asking "Is this outfit flattering on me?" If it makes me look heavier than I actually am, then I don't want to wear it. I want an honest answer because I don't have a good eye for what does and doesn't look good on myself.
That's where I am too. I'm not overweight at all, but not every outfit is flattering. So maybe you could change what you say, and ask "what do you think about this?"

My husband is good at that. He'll say oh are you wearing that? That's not my favorite outfit.

Ok. That's going to Goodwill by the end of the day. (Unless it's just a "taste" thing, he doesn't like that style. Otherwise, yeah.)

Old 08-01-2017, 07:56 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Lawyers say to never ask a question you don't already know the answer to! I think most women ask even though they know - maybe just fishing or hoping against hope.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:14 AM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times
My husband is not capable of discerning the nuances of women's clothing. If I asked him if an outfit looked too _______________, he would only tell me what he thought I wanted to hear. Not because he was afraid of my reaction, but because he really would not know.

For example, he is tall, so wears tall XL tee shirts. If they aren't tall, then he wears XXL. So, he has a certain brand tee shirt in which the XXL is way too big. I told him that they make him look like a formerly fat man who has lost 300# on that TV show for 600 pounders. Those people never seem to get any new clothes.
Anyway, my point is, he would never know how bad those huge tee shirts look unless I told him.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:23 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,608,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
No need to ask, I can see myself in the mirror.
This ^^^^

That's why I installed two full-length mirrors in this house: one of the inside of the bathroom door and one on the inside of the front closet door. I used to think it was vain but now I do a quick once over before I leave the house. I'm in the process of weeding out my closets and donating those sale clothes that just don't flatter my figure if I'm being honest with myself.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:40 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,968,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
Yeah, sounds like part of a joke. I have asked it a couple of times to my husband and I do expect an honest answer. Hubby is not one for flattery so he does give me his honest answer and I am not insulted by it. I really want to know the truth.

So my questions are:

1.) Have you ever asked this question?

2.) If you have, do you expect an honest answer?

3.) Do you really WANT an honest answer?

Cat

I have never asked that question. But I have asked if a piece of clothing looks good on me.

What is the point of asking if you don't want the truth?

Old 08-01-2017, 09:00 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,936,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
It would seem that one asking specifically about "fat" is already biasing any response.

Why fat? Why not attractive? Presentable? Businesslike?

But no. Here are more:

"Does this make me look desperate?"

"Is this too revealing?"

"Does it look like I'm trying too hard?"

"Do I look like a grandma?"
I completely agree. I would never ask anyone if I looked fat---way too subjective and I certainly don't want to invite my husband to critique me.

To the OP: My husband is a high level exec so I will ask him if I'm business appropriate. He's also really good in knowing which colors work with my skin tone and hair color.

He's also all about comfort. He firmly believes that when I'm not comfortable, I don't look confident. He will definitely point out that I look uncomfortable. He's right. You can look really good and be comfortable.

I definitely would NOT ask him if I looked fat, though. Just no.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:43 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
This goes along with asking perfect strangers if you think you look hot. If you're not ready for a "no you're actually a little ugly", don't ever ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty