Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2017, 11:51 PM

1,235 posts, read 731,160 times

Advertisements

Anyone here, shop at the Cable Shopping Networks? If so, what are your experiences with them?

Since these channels sell everything from clothing to makeup, I am only referring to those items, as opposed to home goods and electronics.

Fashion
Beauty Products
Shoes

What say yee, ladies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 01:37 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,489,891 times
I find their prices can be a bit high for what they are offering. Elastic waist, Capri length leggings shouldn't be $40.

Old 08-11-2017, 05:12 PM

5,516 posts, read 8,756,882 times
I've always wondered why almost all the fashion and beauty items I've ever seen being sold on QVC or HSN are for women?
Guys buy clothes too, although I can't imagine many guys doing those sappy call-ins to the hosts going on and on about how wonderful such and such an article of clothing is and how they brought it in three different colors.

But I do know a LOT of women buy clothes and accessories for their guys. Seems like TV shopping would be a great way to tap into this market. Only stuff I've ever seen that might remotely be considered "guy" stuff are electronics. But no clothing or accessories. Do I just catch these stations at the wrong time, or is there a reason for that?

Old 08-11-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I've always wondered why almost all the fashion and beauty items I've ever seen being sold on QVC or HSN are for women?
Guys buy clothes too, although I can't imagine many guys doing those sappy call-ins to the hosts going on and on about how wonderful such and such an article of clothing is and how they brought it in three different colors.

But I do know a LOT of women buy clothes and accessories for their guys. Seems like TV shopping would be a great way to tap into this market. Only stuff I've ever seen that might remotely be considered "guy" stuff are electronics. But no clothing or accessories. Do I just catch these stations at the wrong time, or is there a reason for that?
Women are likely the only group of shoppers that will sit and watch it. Uggghhh. They have a certain demographic.

Old 08-11-2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I find their prices can be a bit high for what they are offering. Elastic waist, Capri length leggings shouldn't be $40.
The stuff is way to expensive for what you get. Then, the cost to ship to you and the cost to return (if you have to).

Old 08-11-2017, 08:39 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,842,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Yup. For example I was really excited to see that C.Wonder returned via HSN or what have you. I had purchased a reallly cool pair of shoes a few years ago that are now worn out, so I wanted to buy them again. So I went online to see.

I had gitten then for a really cheap price at an end of season clearance. My shoes were available, but tge materials were cheaper. And the new price was 30% more than the old retail price. The reviews were also mentioning poor quality. I decided to pass - at the price point I could have bought something far nicer. Oh well.

Old 08-12-2017, 11:56 AM

3,830 posts, read 6,725,596 times
I utelize QVC a lot to save on brands I already use. I typically only buy things that are on sale.

I buy pretty much all of my 'beauty' stuff from QVC.
Make-up wise, I like IT Cosmetic's CC Cream better than anything I've ever used. Their Superhero mascara is great, too. So, I waited until it was a TSV and I have it on autodelivery. A fraction of what you would pay at Ulta.
I like Philosophy's Amazing Grace. Again, when it is on special on QVC, I will order it. Way cheaper.
One thing I tried from QVC that I love is Josie Maran's whipped argon oil body butter. I've always been very picky with lotions because I don't like the way my skin feels after using most of them. (I was using Philosophy until I tried Josie Maran.) I'm in love. But, again, I only order it when it is a special.

Clothing-wise, I also will order from time-to-time from QVC. Mainly a TSV or One Day Only, because otherwise it is pretty expensive.

Shoes- I've been a long time Clarks fan, so I will watch for Clarks specials and order if I like them. I've become a fan of Vionic, and since they are so expensive, I also watch for specials. I usually only order things on sale. I do comparison shop to make sure I'm getting the best deal.

For a long time, I had my DVR set to record all Dooney & Bourke shows. I have a bit of a habit. Again, I was only looking for bargains. I would fast forward looking for a sale price, lol. When I ended up with 8 new Dooneys last year, I had to cancel the DVR recordings.

As far as HSN, they don't have as many of the brands I've used for a long time. The only thing I ever order from HSN (out of any category) is Huggable Hangers. I'm getting close to having all closets 100% Huggable Hangers, so I will be done with that soon as well.

Old 08-12-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
I utelize QVC a lot to save on brands I already use. I typically only buy things that are on sale.

I buy pretty much all of my 'beauty' stuff from QVC.
Make-up wise, I like IT Cosmetic's CC Cream better than anything I've ever used. Their Superhero mascara is great, too. So, I waited until it was a TSV and I have it on autodelivery. A fraction of what you would pay at Ulta.
I like Philosophy's Amazing Grace. Again, when it is on special on QVC, I will order it. Way cheaper.
One thing I tried from QVC that I love is Josie Maran's whipped argon oil body butter. I've always been very picky with lotions because I don't like the way my skin feels after using most of them. (I was using Philosophy until I tried Josie Maran.) I'm in love. But, again, I only order it when it is a special.

Clothing-wise, I also will order from time-to-time from QVC. Mainly a TSV or One Day Only, because otherwise it is pretty expensive.

Shoes- I've been a long time Clarks fan, so I will watch for Clarks specials and order if I like them. I've become a fan of Vionic, and since they are so expensive, I also watch for specials. I usually only order things on sale. I do comparison shop to make sure I'm getting the best deal.

For a long time, I had my DVR set to record all Dooney & Bourke shows. I have a bit of a habit. Again, I was only looking for bargains. I would fast forward looking for a sale price, lol. When I ended up with 8 new Dooneys last year, I had to cancel the DVR recordings.

As far as HSN, they don't have as many of the brands I've used for a long time. The only thing I ever order from HSN (out of any category) is Huggable Hangers. I'm getting close to having all closets 100% Huggable Hangers, so I will be done with that soon as well.

Good for you. I would like to suggest you do some research on prices of the items you just mentioned (It Cosmetics, Philosophy) can be had in many places. I won't buy stuff like this, that can be purchased elsewhere. Many places will give me free shipping and handling, so I'm not buying it from QVC. The Argon oil stuff I buy from Amazon (pure 100% cold pressed Argon Oil).

The only time I could see me shopping for items off of one of these sites is if they carried something no one else did that appealed to me. Otherwise, I shop around for deals. LOL.

I buy my Dooney's from the official D&B website (which also has stretch pay) and I get free shipping and handling.

Old 08-12-2017, 10:18 PM

3,830 posts, read 6,725,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGoldenLife View Post
Good for you. I would like to suggest you do some research on prices of the items you just mentioned (It Cosmetics, Philosophy) can be had in many places. I won't buy stuff like this, that can be purchased elsewhere. Many places will give me free shipping and handling, so I'm not buying it from QVC. The Argon oil stuff I buy from Amazon (pure 100% cold pressed Argon Oil).

The only time I could see me shopping for items off of one of these sites is if they carried something no one else did that appealed to me. Otherwise, I shop around for deals. LOL.

I buy my Dooney's from the official D&B website (which also has stretch pay) and I get free shipping and handling.
Oh, I do shop around. I've never found anyone who can even come close to IT's CC cream bundled into a TSV. And then I usually get some random other crap for 'free'.

I'm not sure if I've ever bought anything from QVC that wasn't on some sort of sale. Clearance, TSV, One Day Only, Lunchtime Special, etc...

I don't actually like argon oil itself- I like the whipped body butter. I'm very particular about textures and residue when it comes to lotions and stuff. Scents, too. I have 0 complaints with the Josie Maran stuff, which is amazing for me. I used to use the tube lotion from Philosophy, but only in Pure Grace (the scents got to me in the other.) Their souffles and stuff in tubs I hated. I hate Bath and Body Works and all kinds of other lotions.

I don't watch the channel much at all. (Sometimes when working from home it is on as background noise when nothing else is on and the quiet is bothering me.) I either DVR brands I like (and later fast forward through them), check my emails, or stalk their website for deals, lol. I feel like I go in spurts- I don't order anything for a while (right now I'm in one of those lulls) and then all of a sudden, a bunch of brands I like/use have specials and I have packages coming like crazy.

The Dooneys... ugh. QVC had like 3 or 4 TSVs last year. And I liked them all. I got a couple on clearance. And some other random sales I guess. Nothing full price and always at least a 25% discount, if not more, plus my Discover card gave 5% cash back on all QVC purchases. Also compared prices to other websites to make sure it was actually a good deal, even with shipping. I also picked something up from the DB website last year. Finished the year out with 9 new Dooneys, a new purse from Draper James (Reese Witherspoon's line), and some random Target level purses. I was working a whole lot of overtime so I not only had some extra money, but I was stuck on a computer for 12+ hours a day, 5-7 days a week for 14 months straight. Things got a little out of control

Old 08-13-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
Oh, I do shop around. I've never found anyone who can even come close to IT's CC cream bundled into a TSV. And then I usually get some random other crap for 'free'.

I'm not sure if I've ever bought anything from QVC that wasn't on some sort of sale. Clearance, TSV, One Day Only, Lunchtime Special, etc...

I don't actually like argon oil itself- I like the whipped body butter. I'm very particular about textures and residue when it comes to lotions and stuff. Scents, too. I have 0 complaints with the Josie Maran stuff, which is amazing for me. I used to use the tube lotion from Philosophy, but only in Pure Grace (the scents got to me in the other.) Their souffles and stuff in tubs I hated. I hate Bath and Body Works and all kinds of other lotions.

I don't watch the channel much at all. (Sometimes when working from home it is on as background noise when nothing else is on and the quiet is bothering me.) I either DVR brands I like (and later fast forward through them), check my emails, or stalk their website for deals, lol. I feel like I go in spurts- I don't order anything for a while (right now I'm in one of those lulls) and then all of a sudden, a bunch of brands I like/use have specials and I have packages coming like crazy.

The Dooneys... ugh. QVC had like 3 or 4 TSVs last year. And I liked them all. I got a couple on clearance. And some other random sales I guess. Nothing full price and always at least a 25% discount, if not more, plus my Discover card gave 5% cash back on all QVC purchases. Also compared prices to other websites to make sure it was actually a good deal, even with shipping. I also picked something up from the DB website last year. Finished the year out with 9 new Dooneys, a new purse from Draper James (Reese Witherspoon's line), and some random Target level purses. I was working a whole lot of overtime so I not only had some extra money, but I was stuck on a computer for 12+ hours a day, 5-7 days a week for 14 months straight. Things got a little out of control

There ya go! Shop around. I have a problem with paying full price for most things, LOL. Draper James has been around for a minute. It's sold at Nordstrom's too. Saw nice pieces over the Summer.

Body care products come and go for me. I don't stick with any one type over a long period of time, as I feel after a while, it no longer benefits me. It's weird, I know. I switch out. Right now I'm using Peter Thomas Roth's Shower gel and Shea Moisture's Coconut Oil for hydration.

Sometimes I buy Pure Shea butter from Amazon for my body, hair as well. I have a little personal care aisle in my home .

Girl after my own heart! A deal catcher, LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty