Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 12:11 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,266,537 times

Advertisements

Lots of perfumes give me an instant headache. I used to work in the same smallish building with a woman that could be smelled from many feet away. The boss told her to stop wearing the perfume as it was making people sick. She didn't stop.

Worst situation--sitting down in church and having an over-perfumed person sit next to you. There is no escape.

One time, flying Southwest where you pick your own seat, my husband got our seats as he boarded first. Before I even sat down I could smell the woman by the window. I just said, "We're moving." She kind of looked at me like, "What's wrong with me?" As soon as we sat in a far away row, husband immediately said, "Sorry, I didn't notice it." He knew what the problem was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 01:29 PM

15,199 posts, read 10,210,220 times
I agree - some women become "noseblind" to their own perfume and don't realize how overpowering it is. Perfume should only be noticeable when you are very close; it should not herald your arrival before you walk into the room.

Old 08-13-2017, 01:37 PM

10,845 posts, read 7,253,106 times
One woman I worked with would go into my office at lunch to use my microwave. I would come back and be staggered by the residue of her perfume. Ugh. I mentioned the scent bothered me, asked her not to go into my office, she just kept doing it. My door was locked, but she worked for the manager and had keys.

Old 08-13-2017, 03:18 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,552,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debnor View Post
Why do some women do it? Thankfully my lady friend doesn't wear perfume at all but I have been on dates with and even dated women that pound on the perfume like crazy. I remember one woman I dated would put a ton on and it bothered me but I didn't say anything until I realized when she'd wear it and we went out to eat it would actually make me sick to my stomach while eating. She seemed a bit miffed about it and stopped wearing it all together. I have an aunt that's much the same way, I don't see her that often but the times as a family we get together to eat she wears perfume that literally makes me feel sick when we eat.
I think a lot of perfume just tends to be strong. I have some that I pretty much never wear because either it'll end up bothering me during the day or I'm afraid someone else will be bothered by it. So the bottle just sits on my dresser looking pretty.

Old 08-13-2017, 03:19 PM

29,667 posts, read 34,184,451 times
To be fair, it's not just women who do it. I've walked through places where you could almost see the Axe body spray hovering in the air.

Old 08-13-2017, 03:51 PM

13,267 posts, read 8,368,517 times
Aromas rarely bother me....But then I work in jewelry department and the cosmetic stand (with perfume) is next over. Its a brigade of aromas...and I love it!

Now if they are wearing garlic or onions then we can talk, til then...fragrances delight the senses!!

Sorry for those that are hyper sensitive...I do understand how intrusive it may be to your nostrils....

Old 08-13-2017, 04:23 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,871,766 times
I love pleasant scents and usually appreciate perfumes, colognes, scented shampoos, etc.

However, it is pretty common for people to overdo it and you end up with too much scent.

I don't have any allergies to scents so when they are overpowering, I am not affected--I just find it very unpleasant and maybe my nose waters a bit.

People who seemingly take a bath in the cologne may think it smells good because they are desensitized to the smell or simply because they do not have as keen of a sense of smell as others. Also, we all tend to have individual preferences for scents we find enjoyable so the smell you find overpowering/offensive probably smells wonderful to the person who is wearing it

My sister wears a peach body spray that I don't like the scent of but she finds wonderful. I'm sure that I wear scents that some people probably don't like but I spray and walk through the mist so that I'm not overpowering.

Old 08-13-2017, 04:47 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,689,694 times
The worst was actually a guy on the treadmill next to me at the gym. BO combined with the worst men's cologne that he must have poured on with a bucket. Luckily he finished up quickly. The next person who used the treadmill started sneezing right when they got on.

Old 08-13-2017, 07:30 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,041,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleguy View Post
Some of the Toronto area hospitals have a NO Perfume policy for patients, visitors and staff. And they enforce it vigorously.
I've been to surgeries that won't even let me wear deodorant.

Old 08-13-2017, 07:32 PM

691 posts, read 416,789 times
My Sergeant once told me it is because they are hiding something nasty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty