Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 07:13 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,242,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Bald has been over-and-out in California for a couple of years. The pendulum has swung back to long hair, now, up in a bun for some, or just a straight ponytail for others. Heck, even in New Mexico, which tends to be in its own time-warp, bald and buzz-cut are fading out, and the bun thing is coming in, gradually. I wonder what's happening in New Yawk, ever the trend-setter: bald or bun?

I think it's great for the guys with thinning hair, that bald can be cool. But IMO it's a crime for guys with good hair to shave it off, just for fashionability. NO-O-O-o-o! I guess I won't be visiting CT anytime soon!
The bun thing peaked about 2 years ago now almost every young guy I see either has some sort of side part hairstyle. Most common is a comb over fade with a longish top and sides cut close right up to the part.

Personally I don't give a flip if a man has hair or not, I just can't stand overly coiffed men especially when they use hairspray. I abhor seeing anyone, man or woman, with dirty or greasy hair ewww
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 07:14 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,242,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
some men seem to be doing a half ponytail instead
I'm seeing a lot of that here too (Sacramento)

Old 08-16-2017, 07:26 PM

2,063 posts, read 1,067,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaThunder View Post
Since so many men lose their hair, as much as I love long luxurious hair on a man, I think it is a great thing that the bald look is so widespread. In many cases, it should definitely be the "new" comb over, for sure!

So agree with this. If your hair is thinning, try to get as short a haircut as possible. It looks neat and it will probably shave a few years off your face. I'm lucky that I still have a full head of salt/pepper/silver hair but I've had it military short and I love it. Wash and go, easy peasy.

Old 08-16-2017, 07:30 PM

2,063 posts, read 1,067,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Gotta keep what's left, gotta be me! Even if I can't style it worth a duck.
Those words made me think of this song by Sammy Davis Jr:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH-pk2vZG2M

Old 08-16-2017, 08:46 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,196,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert&Ripley View Post
[/b]

So agree with this. If your hair is thinning, try to get as short a haircut as possible. It looks neat and it will probably shave a few years off your face. I'm lucky that I still have a full head of salt/pepper/silver hair but I've had it military short and I love it. Wash and go, easy peasy.
I agree. As long as a man keeps the sides super short and has confidence in himself I don't care if a man has thinning hair but a lack of hair with a long ponytail or poofy sides does not work for me. A well trimmed beard with the super short hair works well for a lot guys too.

Old 08-16-2017, 09:45 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Perhaps research needs to be conducted as to the root cause of male baldness. Diet? Environment, Hereditary, stress? I don't see the long hair and excessive side burns of the '70s as excessive style, but rather, a sign of a healthy population.
Many of us inherit male pattern baldness. I have it myself. Since I am female, it manifested later in life, and so far I haven't lost all of the hair on the top of my head. But it has gotten quite thin.

My father had it. My kids have it too. But so does their father.

Male pattern baldness is known to be hereditary and having it has nothing to do with nutrition or environment.

Male Pattern Baldness: Causes, Identification & Prevention

As this site points out, there can be other causes of baldness, but MPB is the most common.

Old 08-17-2017, 12:02 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,148,782 times
I have been getting short cuts for a while now, and sometimes get the urge to grow it back, just to feel the full head of hair. Believe it or not, the hair style a man wears, gives of a different impression to the public. I would get treated differently, depending on hair style.

the all bald look is clean and streamlined. for some reason I get more respect and less problems with the look. It a IDGAF look.

the full head of hair, pulled back makes me look older and heavier. I get treated like a newbie. some of the girls like it, but their is constant maintanance. It adds 10 years to my appearance. It is a softee look.

the part to the side look makes me look professional and clean. I usually get the job with this hairstyle. I am looked at as smart. Get alot of "yes sir" , and given serious consideration for movement around the company. I get a different kind of respect. But it is not attractive. look like a mommas boy and weak.

so all these people are getting the very short/ bald look, to hide receding hairlines, provide less maintenance, no need for barber shop visits, since buying a hair trimmer, gets you a clean cut every week. It just looks so neat! No more smelly hair!

since getting a hair trimmer, no more shaggy facial hair. More and more men are also trimming their chest and legs for the summer. The 70's and 80s were hairy years, with hair styles. thank god it is over.

Old 08-17-2017, 05:12 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,038,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
I have been getting short cuts for a while now, and sometimes get the urge to grow it back, just to feel the full head of hair. Believe it or not, the hair style a man wears, gives of a different impression to the public. I would get treated differently, depending on hair style.

the all bald look is clean and streamlined. for some reason I get more respect and less problems with the look. It a IDGAF look.

the full head of hair, pulled back makes me look older and heavier. I get treated like a newbie. some of the girls like it, but their is constant maintanance. It adds 10 years to my appearance. It is a softee look.

the part to the side look makes me look professional and clean. I usually get the job with this hairstyle. I am looked at as smart. Get alot of "yes sir" , and given serious consideration for movement around the company. I get a different kind of respect. But it is not attractive. look like a mommas boy and weak.

so all these people are getting the very short/ bald look, to hide receding hairlines, provide less maintenance, no need for barber shop visits, since buying a hair trimmer, gets you a clean cut every week. It just looks so neat! No more smelly hair!

since getting a hair trimmer, no more shaggy facial hair. More and more men are also trimming their chest and legs for the summer. The 70's and 80s were hairy years, with hair styles. thank god it is over.

I still have body hair. I just trim it, as you mentioned. Without it, or anything on top, I'd be shivering all the time, even in summer! I keep what's left on top, as long as I don't go out with 'bed-head'. lol!

As with the ear piercings, I just don't want to be thought of as 'odd' because I still have hair.

Old 08-17-2017, 07:32 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,788,081 times
I lost most my hair by the time I was 25. My cousin lost his even earlier. Got uncle's who lost most their hair. I honestly don't care what anyone thinks about my bald head.

Old 08-17-2017, 07:57 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,384,986 times
IMO, if you don't have sufficient neck girth to support the look, shaving your head can make a lot of skinny guys look like a full size Charlie Brown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty