Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 03:20 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times

Advertisements

You see earrings on most males? Is it 1992 where you are?

Old 08-15-2017, 03:30 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,041,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Good for you. I actually don't like tattoos. So many people have them that is no longer edgy ... just tacky and more often then not suggests you have poor judgement or are a poser.

If anyone is thinking of a good business to invest in .... I would consider getting in the Tattoo removal business !

My feelings are the same for people with excessive piercings.
My point is that 30plus years ago, a male with piercings was considered a 'freak'. Now the tables have turned. Again, I am an Empirical observer and just based on what I see on sidewalks and on customers at my job. And it seems the majority of males, at least in the part of the country where I live, have at least one piercing - in an ear, eyebrow, nose, etc. From 16-60, some wearing Brooks Brothers suits.. ! I personally find ear piercings in men to be kinda... barbaric!

Old 08-15-2017, 03:44 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,872,148 times
Just where is it that you live? Outside of a certain age group (say 18-25), I hardly ever see men with earrings or piercings and certainly precious few wearing "Brooks Brothers suits". Even in the aforementioned age group, I don't see that many piercings.

Old 08-15-2017, 03:46 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
I have no piercings, on ears or otherwise, and no tattoos. Neither do my paternal cousins.
I'm guessing your young and your friends and peers have a lot.

IME, It depends a lot on your profession (creative types tend to have more), SES, and many many other factors. I'm somewhat commitment phobic so I don't indulge in that stuff.

Old 08-15-2017, 04:03 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,726,194 times
Exclamation .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
My point is that 30plus years ago, a male with piercings was considered a 'freak'. Now the tables have turned. Again, I am an Empirical observer and just based on what I see on sidewalks and on customers at my job. And it seems the majority of males, at least in the part of the country where I live, have at least one piercing - in an ear, eyebrow, nose, etc. From 16-60, some wearing Brooks Brothers suits.. ! I personally find ear piercings in men to be kinda... barbaric!
I live in Toronto and I seriously am getting disgusted by this tatoo and piecing trend. It is lame. I am in my 30s. The thing is when EVERYONE is doing something it is no longer cool. It is just makes you a poser. It is not cool and more. Also what people dont seem to get is that when you are writing poems and expressions that suggest you are mentally unstable on your body for everyone to see WHO IS GOING TO HIRE YOU for a good job. People want to employ people that are not flaky. They need to go show up do you job etc. When you are painting your body suggesting your might be mentally unstable .... no one wants to take the chance hiring you for something the requires you to actually be there and on time consistently. Writing stuff suggesting you are depressed or having emotionally issues is just stupid. Someone with common sense literally does not wear their heart on their selves. The thing about fashion and trends is that that change. If you over invest in a trend too much later you will likely look stupid. That is what I see in my city. It is no longer cool, hip or edgy ... that boat has long sailed. It not just highlights you have super bad judgement, are flaky and likely a poser/ want-a-be/ copy cat.

The peicings kill me. Those f-ugly circles people are putting in their ears it just gross. Who knew self mutalation was cool. This is another example of people taking a trend too far. When it goes out of style you are just going to look like the loser with ugly ears and be the poster child for people that say THANK GOD I was not dumb enough to do that.

If you want to do body art try henna or temp tatoos. Why? Because it COMES OFF!!!

The best when I say this week was a girl who had the Chanel logo tatooed on her ankle. If I was Chanel and I saw that I would demand she have it removed. Nothing about her was anything Chanel..... so if I where her I would have held out on the tatoo and invested in something Chanel actually maid.

To each his own.... but seriously I am totally feeling there is going to be some serious cash to be made in the tatoo removel business in my city.

Old 08-15-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
Just where is it that you live? Outside of a certain age group (say 18-25), I hardly ever see men with earrings or piercings and certainly precious few wearing "Brooks Brothers suits". Even in the aforementioned age group, I don't see that many piercings.
Southwestern CT.

Old 08-15-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
I'm guessing your young and your friends and peers have a lot.

IME, It depends a lot on your profession (creative types tend to have more), SES, and many many other factors. I'm somewhat commitment phobic so I don't indulge in that stuff.
I'm in my forties.

"SES" - please translate?

Old 08-15-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I live in Toronto and I seriously am getting disgusted by this tatoo and piecing trend. It is lame. I am in my 30s. The thing is when EVERYONE is doing something it is no longer cool. It is just makes you a poser. It is not cool and more. Also what people dont seem to get is that when you are writing poems and expressions that suggest you are mentally unstable on your body for everyone to see WHO IS GOING TO HIRE YOU for a good job. People want to employ people that are not flaky. They need to go show up do you job etc. When you are painting your body suggesting your might be mentally unstable .... no one wants to take the chance hiring you for something the requires you to actually be there and on time consistently. Writing stuff suggesting you are depressed or having emotionally issues is just stupid. Someone with common sense literally does not wear their heart on their selves. The thing about fashion and trends is that that change. If you over invest in a trend too much later you will likely look stupid. That is what I see in my city. It is no longer cool, hip or edgy ... that boat has long sailed. It not just highlights you have super bad judgement, are flaky and likely a poser/ want-a-be/ copy cat.

The peicings kill me. Those f-ugly circles people are putting in their ears it just gross. Who knew self mutalation was cool. This is another example of people taking a trend too far. When it goes out of style you are just going to look like the loser with ugly ears and be the poster child for people that say THANK GOD I was not dumb enough to do that.

If you want to do body art try henna or temp tatoos. Why? Because it COMES OFF!!!

The best when I say this week was a girl who had the Chanel logo tatooed on her ankle. If I was Chanel and I saw that I would demand she have it removed. Nothing about her was anything Chanel..... so if I where her I would have held out on the tatoo and invested in something Chanel actually maid.

To each his own.... but seriously I am totally feeling there is going to be some serious cash to be made in the tatoo removel business in my city.
In the last 10 years, two of the men who interviewed me were in suits, and each had a small stud in one ear. Would one in one of mine have scored me a job? Who knows, in this new century where appearances are everything?

Old 08-15-2017, 05:30 PM

44,355 posts, read 20,063,008 times
Please read forum rules in the Sticky thread. The topic of tattoos is off limits for this forum. This thread is now closed.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty