Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 07:03 PM

1,235 posts, read 732,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I am at the nexus of few options. My cup is a little too big, my band is a little too small. Most brands don't bother. And of those choices, few work for me even though my size is available.

Options drop off significantly at UKH/USJ. Some brands don't start with H till 36 band.

I have tried pretty much every brand in my size. There is one more but they are not shipping. There are a few polish brands that don't ship to the US and are really really hard to source.
You need to use Google. I just pulled up a website that has up to I, J, K cup for bras. The internet can be very helpful. Not sure where you are, but in the US it has gotten a lot better for us women. I'm grateful for that.

The I, J, K Cup Bras for Larger Busts or Plus Sizes

Bra Cup Size K | Bras | Lingerie | J D Williams

DD to K Cup - Full Bust large bras, DD cup to K cup online

https://www.lascana.co.uk/bras/_/N-3uZ1c

Just to reiterate, sister sizing is not exact. Nor is it for everyone. It is helpful for women who are within the parameters of the sizes they swap out for. I don't want anyone to think that I said, or believe that every woman can wear a sister size, cause I never said that.

Good luck with finding your needs.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Because these no equivalent men's clothing that comes in such a wide array of specific sizes for comparison so your "logic" doesn't apply here.

The reality is that there is overlap because there is only so much difference between multiple combinations of band size and cup size that exist.

Plus of course there is normal variation between different manufacturers and even different bra styles by the same manufacturer. So even if there is some very slight variation between sizes, it can still end up with women who can wear the same size bra having a personal preference for one size over the other even when there is very little, if any, difference between the sizes. Then again, even during different times of the month, an individual woman can find one bra more comfortable than another, even when they are marked as the same size.
Thank you. Don't think I could have explained this any better. It's also quite simply a decent way of finding alternatives that you can live with. No two women's breasts are the same. Heck even my own two breasts aren't the same, as I have asymmetry with one breast being at least one and half size larger than the other.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I have been aware of the close relationship in sizes, for some time. Have not heard the term "sister size" though, and I think it might be a bit misleading. In my experience, occasionally a 34D is a bit too snug, and a 36C will fit me better. Totally depends on the bra. It's not anything I would say was a universal truth.

Also the earlier post is correct about fit - always fit bra by the least-snug hook. As it stretches out with wear, the snugger hooks will give it a longer life.
It's not misleading at all. There is a chart that one refers to that you find your regular size on. On either side of the chart (left and right) of where your regular size is the "sister size" to your regular size bra.

It really is quite simple and it is not new. I've known about it for years because I shop at Herroom and online boutiques that have very detailed information about it.

I use the internet fiercely and these videos and information can also be found on youtube for goodness sakes.

It's not a mystery, nor is it complicated. Either it works for you or it doesn't. If department stores don't carry your size maybe a boutique will. I am also lucky enough to have found my perfect bras (manufacturers) for my sizing needs thrice times over with sister sizing. If you are an 32E your sister sizes would be:

34D or
30F

I'm honestly baffled so many women don't understand this concept. It's beneficial for some of us.

We live, we learn.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:21 PM

For those of you who shop Victoria's Secret, even they have information on their website about sister sizing. I don't know how to get the chart in here but the link is below.

Sister Sizing: Bras

WHAT IS SISTER SIZING?

Your current bra size has “Sister Sizes” which are alternate sizes where the cup volume stays the same even though the band size and cup letter changes. Figuring out a Sister Size requires a set of one-size shifts, in opposite directions, in the numbers and letters of bra sizing. Sound easy? Don’t worry. We’re here to help.

Sister Size DOWN = one actual size smaller than your current Band size AND one letter name larger than your current Cup. For example, if you wear a 34C, your Sister Size DOWN would be 32D.

Sister Size UP = one actual size larger than your current Band size AND one letter name smaller than your current Cup. For example, if you wear a 34C, your Sister Size UP would be 36B.

FIND YOUR SISTER SIZE:

The most important question is "Should you wear your Sister Size?" The answer isn't always "Yes" for every Angel - or for every bra in your wardrobe, depending upon the style and design. We are here to help you decide, based on the following:

Do your cups fit smoothly and seamlessly without gaps or spilling?

If your answer is “no,” your bra cups aren’t fitting you the way they should. Take our Fit Quiz.

If your answer is “yes,” see the next question below.

Which hook setting do you use to fasten your bra?

If your answer is “the tightest hook possible,” your Sister Size DOWN just might work for you! Locate your current bra size in the chart below to find your Sister Size DOWN.

If your answer is “the loosest hook possible,” your Sister Size UP just might work for you! Locate your current bra size in the chart below to find your Sister Size UP.

If your answer is “one in the middle,” either your Sister Size UP or Sister DOWN just might work for you! Locate your current bra size in the chart below to find your Sister Sizes.

https://customerservice.victoriassec...sizing%3A-bras

Old 08-21-2017, 07:25 PM

I think it is safe to say many of us don't wear our bras properly and we also don't actually know our true bra size in our preferred brand because some have never been fitted. If it's worth it to you, then you'll do what you have to. If not, then well at least you know the information is at your fingertips. You take what helps and leave the rest.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:28 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbQXca3GEgE

Old 08-21-2017, 08:16 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGoldenLife View Post
If you "feel it's time for a bra-size change," it's time to measure for your correct bra size instead of moving vertically or horizontally on a chart to find a "sister size."

No wonder men think we're nuts.

Old 08-21-2017, 08:27 PM

1,149 posts, read 934,439 times
I do that too depending if they are on sale or if I really like the bra.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
If you "feel it's time for a bra-size change," it's time to measure for your correct bra size instead of moving vertically or horizontally on a chart to find a "sister size."

No wonder men think we're nuts.
Not unless you are changing brands you don't necessarily need to re-fit. If you are sticking with the same bra style by the same manufacturer there is no need to re-measure.

Measuring is not an exact science either because it doesn't take into account fullness of the breast at the bottom or top, splayed or wide set breasts or breasts that touch one another. This whole buying of bras is becoming much more useful as we get more options.

I think some folk get overwhelmed by so many options. I don't though. I had to fit for the first time when I found my everyday bras and now I'm good.

Old 08-21-2017, 11:14 PM

247 posts, read 198,081 times
I have sized up to 38D and sized down to 34F from my regular size of 36DD/E so 'sister sizes' work well for some women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty