Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 11:41 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGoldenLife View Post
You need to use Google. I just pulled up a website that has up to I, J, K cup for bras. The internet can be very helpful. Not sure where you are, but in the US it has gotten a lot better for us women. I'm grateful for that.

The I, J, K Cup Bras for Larger Busts or Plus Sizes

Bra Cup Size K | Bras | Lingerie | J D Williams

DD to K Cup - Full Bust large bras, DD cup to K cup online

https://www.lascana.co.uk/bras/_/N-3uZ1c

Just to reiterate, sister sizing is not exact. Nor is it for everyone. It is helpful for women who are within the parameters of the sizes they swap out for. I don't want anyone to think that I said, or believe that every woman can wear a sister size, cause I never said that.

Good luck with finding your needs.
I have tried esssentially every brand. I will not fibd a bra for under $50 in my size. I am lucky, there is a well stocked lingerie shop in my neighborhood, they have pretty much all of the D+ brands in stock. And regularky have my size, but there are far fewer options than from D-G. even brands that claim to go to K do not make all styles above G. (Ahem Panache, Freya, Fantasie). Curvy Kate generally makes every bra in a K, but that brand does not fit me at all.

PS I do not trust sites that do not specify sizing definitions - UK, US, FR and AU are all different.

Old 08-22-2017, 11:14 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Quote:
For those of you who shop Victoria's Secret, even they have information on their website about sister sizing. I don't know how to get the chart in here but the link is below.
Well nevermind that VS is crap. And I say that as a former VS employee. Terrible quality. But OF COURSE they're going to want to convince you to buy a size up or down. Ultimately, they want to make a sale, even if it's the wrong size.

Old 08-22-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Well nevermind that VS is crap. And I say that as a former VS employee. Terrible quality. But OF COURSE they're going to want to convince you to buy a size up or down. Ultimately, they want to make a sale, even if it's the wrong size.
Yup, VS will recommend a crazy size to you, just to get the sale. You may need to wear a 28F, and they'll size you at 34D.

Unless you are my size. Then they are like - oh go to Lane Bryant (which doesn't have my size either. They also have ill-fitting sister sizes, but do have sufficient volume for me.)

Old 08-22-2017, 12:28 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
I think it's reasonable for a salesperson to say "we are out of 36D but I have a 34DD and a 38C that you can try on" because there is at least some possibility that one of those might fit properly. Yes, they want to make a sale, but they could end up with a customer in a bra that fits them because bra fitting isn't an exact science anyway. A woman could try on a 36D and end up needing a 36C or 36DD or whatever regardless of the size they thought they were.

If a customer buys (or keeps it after they buy it) a bra without making sure it fits comfortably and looks good, then that makes the customer stupid and gullible, regardless of the motivation of the salesperson. It's not like they don't have the ability to try it on and make sure it's right, they don't have to take someone's word for it.

Old 08-22-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I think it's reasonable for a salesperson to say "we are out of 36D but I have a 34DD and a 38C that you can try on" because there is at least some possibility that one of those might fit properly. Yes, they want to make a sale, but they could end up with a customer in a bra that fits them because bra fitting isn't an exact science anyway. A woman could try on a 36D and end up needing a 36C or 36DD or whatever regardless of the size they thought they were.

If a customer buys (or keeps it after they buy it) a bra without making sure it fits comfortably and looks good, then that makes the customer stupid and gullible, regardless of the motivation of the salesperson. It's not like they don't have the ability to try it on and make sure it's right, they don't have to take someone's word for it.
I disagree with the bolded, but I'm done discussing the validity of this "sister sizing" crap. If people want to buy ill-fitting bras and try to convince themselves that they actually fit, well it's their money, not mine.

No one wants to believe that they're wearing the wrong size bra. In actuality, most women are.

Old 08-22-2017, 12:51 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
I disagree with the bolded, but I'm done discussing the validity of this "sister sizing" crap. If people want to buy ill-fitting bras and try to convince themselves that they actually fit, well it's their money, not mine.

No one wants to believe that they're wearing the wrong size bra. In actuality, most women are.
That is part of my point. If you are wearing the wrong size bra, then what is going to be the correct size? Chances are it will be a nearby size because most people aren't THAT far off.

From what I've read, most women wear a band size that is too large and a cup size that is too small. For a woman who thinks they are a 36C, it doesn't mean that 34D is the exact same size as 36C but there's a good chance that 34D could actually be the right size for that woman. It might turn out they are really a 34DD, but 34D is still a reasonable starting point to try on.

Old 08-22-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
That is part of my point. If you are wearing the wrong size bra, then what is going to be the correct size? Chances are it will be a nearby size because most people aren't THAT far off.
You would be very surprised.

Old 08-22-2017, 01:33 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,732,618 times
I tried this once recently, and failed. (My own fault.)

BOGO sale- I wear underwires 100% of the time, but I've been working from home a lot more. I decided to try a wire-free bra for home. I decided to order one of each. They didn't have my size in wire-free, so I meant to go up a band size, down a cup size. I was ordering online, mind you, a brand I always buy. The package is delivered and the wire-free is my regular band size, smaller cup size. I checked the invoice- I did it. My mistake. Oops. Luckily, the style doesn't have a lot of separation (somewhat similar to a sports bra where you have one long boob, lol). So, I just squeeze in, lol. No one sees me except for maybe the UPS man on occasion, or a neighbor if I run out to the mailbox. It isn't uncomfortable.

Old 08-22-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:

From what I've read, most women wear a band size that is too large and a cup size that is too small. For a woman who thinks they are a 36C, it doesn't mean that 34D is the exact same size as 36C but there's a good chance that 34D could actually be the right size for that woman. It might turn out they are really a 34DD, but 34D is still a reasonable starting point to try on.
Not exactly. I was wearing 42DD, finding those didn't fit, and really not sure what I was going to do since those didn't have enough volume for me. I think I planned to get a 44DD or something because my mom always told me if the bra didn't fit just go up a band. Obviously this is not the right practice, but my mom isn't busty so support in the band hardly makes a difference. Her bra needs were around nipple coverage.

I was sized at 38F or 38FF if I can recall correctly, when I went to a specialty store. I wear a different size now, but it was eye opening that day. That was a huge difference in terms of how things fit and bra comfort. I could only afford 2 bras, but from then on I knew that I had to budget for them since it was an improvement.

But that is not a size available in many stores. At the time, even stores like Lane Bryant did not have bras with over a DD cup.

At this time, I was also able to find sports bras that worked for the first time ever. I could actually jump and run without holding up my chest. It was amazing and life changing.

Old 08-22-2017, 03:54 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,233,675 times
Quote:
It's not misleading at all. There is a chart that one refers to that you find your regular size on. On either side of the chart (left and right) of where your regular size is the "sister size" to your regular size bra.

It really is quite simple and it is not new. I've known about it for years because I shop at Herroom and online boutiques that have very detailed information about it.

I use the internet fiercely and these videos and information can also be found on youtube for goodness sakes.

It's not a mystery, nor is it complicated. Either it works for you or it doesn't. If department stores don't carry your size maybe a boutique will. I am also lucky enough to have found my perfect bras (manufacturers) for my sizing needs thrice times over with sister sizing. If you are an 32E your sister sizes would be:

34D or
30F

I'm honestly baffled so many women don't understand this concept. It's beneficial for some of us.

We live, we learn.
i think you should relax a little. i don't see any women (a few men? sure...) who are "baffled" by the concept of "sister sizes". i am 54 years old (just turned this past weekend!) and i have never heard of the term "sister size". i have heard of sizing up and/or down in band and cup, but have not heard it referred to as "sister sizing". i am a 34b. one time years ago i got "professionally measured". she said i should be wearing a 32c. (she did not mentioned "sister size") she actually told me that my correct size is 32c. this was at victoria's secret i believe. (but honestly, i don't remember for sure where it was) i tried several different styles and brands in 32c and not one fit me comfortably or correctly. i have also tried going the 36a route just to see. nope. i am and have always been a 34b. it is what fits me most comfortably. i can't wear every brand in that size or every style. some just do not fit me right.

not everyone has heard this term. whether or not we have done internet shopping or searching or whatever. but i'd say a lot of women are aware of the concept of going up or down a size to maybe find the same (or near same) fit.

i have to say that i am always surprised when i hear that a lot of women are wearing the wrong size bra. i don't get how they do this. you try on a bra and you look in the mirror and you see and feel how it is fitting you. if there are bulges or loose areas in the fabric or the band or it is too tight or too loose or just not right, you try on another one until you find one that fits. i don't get it. why is that so hard? all styles don't work for all body types. maybe that is part of the problem too? i can't wear just any style of bra. i am petite and have a small torso. larger style bra's swallow me up. i can see how a larger woman would need more coverage.

eh...i think it's probably a lot to do with styling of the bra, opposed to actual wrong size. i mean to a lot of women, not all. i've never worked in the bra industry so i'm just going by what seems like common sense. if it doesn't fit right, try another one! and another one! until you find "it". seems like if you are past the training bra, you should have a pretty good idea what size you should be wearing.

Last edited by beachie123; 08-22-2017 at 04:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty