Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you polish your own toenails?
I don't wear polish on my toes 22 17.74%
I polish my own toes whenever I want 78 62.90%
I only wear polish when I get a full pedicure 16 12.90%
I get pedicures and also stop by the salon for a polish change as needed 8 6.45%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 07:22 PM

1,149 posts, read 934,829 times

Advertisements

I get a pedicure at least once a month. In fact, had one today along with a full set.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 07:41 PM

8,176 posts, read 6,925,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ennaf View Post
I've only had one salon pedicure in my life after I broke my ankle a few years ago. Otherwise I always do my own.
I read that first sentence way too fast.
For a second there, I thought you had a pedicure done and they broke your ankle!

yes. I polish my own toenails.
My toenails have not gone unpolished since I was a little kid.
And they're always some form of metallic light blue or metallic steel blue color. Not sure why.
No polish on my fingernails though, I work with my hands too much and I think polished fingernails just look bizarre. Like... don't you DO anything with your hands?? Perfectly polished manicured fingernails kind of freak me out.

Old 08-23-2017, 10:00 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,777,169 times
I haven't polished my nails since I was 19 years old. That's going on 40 years. Too much trouble.

I have NEVER had either a manicure nor a pedicure - and won't ever have either.

I play musical instruments, I knit, crochet, and work in the garden. Nails get cut short. Except toenails. Those I just rip off once in awhile. Don't care how ragged they look. I have also never buffed nor filed my nails. That's just how I roll.

Old 08-23-2017, 11:01 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
I do it myself. I have diabetes and the thought of someone else handling my tootsies is too scary. Daily, I pumice lightly, and moisturize and clean under my nails. Polish done once a week....if I feel like it. Usually summer, yes, fall no...

Old 08-24-2017, 12:03 AM

19,429 posts, read 15,244,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I do it myself. I have diabetes and the thought of someone else handling my tootsies is too scary. Daily, I pumice lightly, and moisturize and clean under my nails. Polish done once a week....if I feel like it. Usually summer, yes, fall no...
I've had to trim nails on a couple of family members when they couldn't. I absolutely hate it. You can kiiiiind of be sure you have the clippers tucked up under the nail, but it's not the same as trimming your own. I'm terrified of cutting them.

Old 08-24-2017, 06:23 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
^^ Same with cutting baby nails.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:26 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
I've had to trim nails on a couple of family members when they couldn't. I absolutely hate it. You can kiiiiind of be sure you have the clippers tucked up under the nail, but it's not the same as trimming your own. I'm terrified of cutting them.

My husband's nails grow really thick, and sometimes he gets ingrown toenails, and wants me to cut/dig them out.

Not fun. I REALLY dislike doing it for all kinds of reasons. But mainly it grosses me out. LOL

Old 08-24-2017, 07:33 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Yep. Even when full-term pregnant. The L&D team was super impressed I had a DIY pedicure each time.
My mom's big story is her bragging about giving herself a pedicure in the hospital after giving birth to me while other ladies in the maternity ward looked on in envy (and probably pain)! I was only 5 lbs. 7 oz. so that may have helped.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:44 AM

1,299 posts, read 823,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I do my own when I feel like it...but it's not a regular thing for me.

Here's what I do. I put on/splash on/paint on like a 5 yr. old the night before. The next day, after my shower, I scrape the excess polish off of the skin around my nails. It works.

I've never been able to be neat when applying finger nail polish. Not to my fingers, and not to my toes. This is the method I use. LOL

I'm 60.
I laughed when I read this! Seems like you're my kind of people.

I do my own toes with the 5 year old method, works for me. I usually have a q-tip with a bit of remover on it for egregious over-paint at the time. I do two layers of colour, no under or over coating. I spend a lot of time in summer wearing footwear, like hockey skates, which is really hard on nail polish, and it gets scraped off regularly. So I swipe on another layer occasionally.

I never do my fingernails, I work with my hands and my nails are too soft to stay nice anyway. So those just get cut short.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:49 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Once in awhile, when I'm overdue for a pedi, I'll cut them and remove the polish. Then, I usually leave them naked until I go. It feels like a break to let them breathe for a week or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty