Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 09:03 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,462,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I have a feeling I won't like the BB cream based on you comments and a few others here. My skin is actually oily, even at 68 y. o. And I live in Florida, dance and sweat a lot. I really don't need much moisturizing.

Those drops sound interesting. Can you describe in more detail how to use?
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeace View Post
Oh, with oily skin I think you are right, and BB cream would not be good. Kind of like when I imagine putting on powder, and having it just slide off my cheek

The good news is Covergirl makes a bb cream for oil skin called Clean matte bb cream, I just picked some up last month. It's not bad, but, considering I have combination skin, I wish the bb skin makers would come out with one for my type of skin. I don't know what it is about the regular one, but it does seem some makers have been making it heavier on the oil side than earlier times. I used to really like the Maybeline one and for some reason when I try to order the one closest to my skin tone by them on line, they charge almost 50% more for the shade marked deep which would be their darkest. Anyway, I like my bb creams at least when the textures are light not greasy and this new matte one suits the bill well. I just put a little coconut oil on my dry spots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 03:22 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,061,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geminigirl7 View Post
I don't wear tons of makeup but I wear foundation, powder, blush and red tinted lip gloss for my everyday wear.

I'll wear mascara if I'm going out in the evening and eye shadow once in awhile.

My mother is 70 and doesn't leave the house without a full face of makeup. She wears gobs of mascara and way too much eye shadow and black eye liner. She also wears dark maroon blush and she's super pale so it's crazy dark on her.

She would look so much better with lighter makeup but she's been doing the same makeup routine since I was a kid so I don't see her changing. It makes her feel good so I guess why not.
That sounds like my mother, who's also in her 70's. She's really pale too, but wears black eyeliner, black mascara, and draws on black eyebrows. And she's got her red or dark pink lipstick, and dark pink blusher. I wish she would tone it down a bit, but like your mother, she's had this routine for years.

Even I've toned my makeup down, over the years. I've ditched the black eyeliner for a dark brown one. And I use a dark brown on my eyebrows, even though they are black, because I think it blends in better. I prefer wearing medium pinks, or peaches, for the rest of my makeup.

Old 08-29-2017, 03:41 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
Gypsychic, I've been thinking. Have you considered maybe a hairstyle change? As crazy as it sounds, once I became blonde and returned to a pixie cut, makeup actually becomes overkill and you can get away with just lipstick. The hair is the statement, not the makeup.

Old 08-29-2017, 04:13 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
Quote:
I know many of you lovely ladies already forgo makeup, but until recently never felt "dressed" unless I had my "face" on. Anyway, for awhile now I have stopped wearing any type of foundation (which was only mineral powder anyway) and just use a dab of concealer here and there. Bottom line, these days I only fill my brows, line my eyes a bit and wear some tinted lip gloss. It feels so freeing! I recently gave up mascara most days, and discovered that a tiny dab of petroleum jelly is a good substitute.

The bonus is removing it is a snap and it just feels so much better. And honestly? I really don't look that much different. Are any of you (who wear or used to wear makeup) going lighter these days? I will add that I am in my 60s and think less looks better on women my age.
Good for you!!

I noticed in my 20s that even with lots of makeup, I don't look better, I just look different. So what's the point?

So now I just put on some eyeliner and done.

Old 08-29-2017, 04:40 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,313,214 times
Unhappy Yeppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Absolutely agree. I'm blonde, my eyebrows are blonde, my eyelashes are nearly non-existant. Used to be I wouldn't even go to the grocery store without mascara and eyeliner on.

And while there is quite a difference between my "eyeliner" and "no eyeliner" looks, most recently I've decided it doesn't matter. I think I look just as good "au naturel" as I do with makeup.

snip>
They're light blonde, so even if it made them a shade or two darker they'd be next to invisible.
Yep, this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shades_of_idaho View Post
Just lipstick. Gave up the other years ago. I am 68. I probably should wear makeup but it makes my eyes itch.
and this

Quote:
Yes, I forgot to mention that part of the reason I have gone to minimal makeup is that in recent times my skin seems prone to small outbreaks of dermatitis, most recently around my eyes. So the less I put on my face the better. Living in Florida, it is way more comfortable anyway.I hate the look and feel of makeup sweating off my face!
Me too, it melts right down my face and neck into my bra, seriously, that's what it feels like at the end of the day!

Old 08-29-2017, 05:18 PM

1,020 posts, read 808,657 times
Forgot to mention, not sure what it is about the mineral stuff, but it makes me break out terribly. I am not prone to breakouts & no other make up has ever caused me to break out. The first time, I thought it was a coincidence, but was suspicious. Second time, I wanted to give it a fair shot, 3rd time I gave up. I waited weeks in between each time I tried it.

Old 08-29-2017, 05:44 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,061,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMetal View Post
Forgot to mention, not sure what it is about the mineral stuff, but it makes me break out terribly. I am not prone to breakouts & no other make up has ever caused me to break out. The first time, I thought it was a coincidence, but was suspicious. Second time, I wanted to give it a fair shot, 3rd time I gave up. I waited weeks in between each time I tried it.
I think mineral makeup is overrated, to be honest. I don't bother with it anymore either.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:59 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Gypsychic, I've been thinking. Have you considered maybe a hairstyle change? As crazy as it sounds, once I became blonde and returned to a pixie cut, makeup actually becomes overkill and you can get away with just lipstick. The hair is the statement, not the makeup.
Strangely, I was thinking about it today. I would like to do something different with my hair, but haven't decided what just yet. I do not want to color, however. I had to have a basal cell cyst on my scalp removed a couple years ago and I blame the decades of dark dye I used to do, so got to stay natural. I am very sensitive to chemicals anymore.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:41 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,690,587 times
I have been wearing minimal makeup for about a year or so. We moved to Florida at that time and I started to get a nice glow from the sun, I didn't worry so much about bronzer or anything and got out of the routine. I rarely ever wear foundation, my skin thankfully is very clear but dry skin so I'll put on lotion. If special occasion I'll put on a BB cream, love it because it's not thick but does even out skin tone some. This is maybe once a month, oh plus it does have SPF which is a nice bonus. I wore it a few times when I knew I'd be outside. Looks nice and protects.

Anyways, my normal everyday look is basic but I think still put together. I'm ready in 10 minutes! Lotion, eye liner, mascara, sometimes blush and a tinted lip balm. Done! I will wear eye shadow now and then but not everyday. I have loved going low makeup! Honestly, not worth the time it takes putting on a 'full face'. It's been great saving time, money and my skin feels better for it!

Old 08-30-2017, 10:50 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,033 times
I like a natural look. I think make up is supposed to bring out your good features and to cover blemishes but not to be over done. I recently was at the Clinique counter and the lady who worked there her make up was so cakey and overdone it made you notice more of the flaws then the good features.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty