Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 09:07 PM

6 posts, read 5,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Maybe he's been living in the Bay Area where 3k a month rent forces him to work so much he can't keep track of news and culture because he didn't happen to have been born 50 years+ ago.
FYI, I am a student At Berkeley Haas.

The comments are very rude, sarcastic, and disappointing.

I am stepping back....

Have a good weekend all.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 09:13 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,164,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnosonBlain View Post

I am stepping back....

Sorry but where are you from that modern society has not touched you? I'm being serious. Pepsi is sold in sub Sahara Africa in the middle of nowhere. We have very few societies left in the world that are this unaware of the culture. I agree that this is a horrible platform if one wants to be treated nicely!

Old 08-25-2017, 09:46 PM

102,072 posts, read 107,051,957 times
Quote:
Well.... Just get straight to the point guys.......

Oakformonday.... I am not American........
You guys, he's not from the US. Berkeley/Oakland, and maybe SF may be his only exposure to US culture.

Anyway, it's just fashion, OP.

Old 08-25-2017, 11:40 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,700,027 times
Quote:

I am stepping back....

The number of earrings stands for the number of Bay Area houses they own. If they own one they're a millionaire.

Old 08-26-2017, 08:01 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,048,113 times
Adults who wear excessive earrings and dye their hair strange colors are still rebelling against mommy and daddy.
Some never grow out of that phase, they remain stuck in perpetual adolescence. This accurately describes a good chunk of under 40 liberal voters.

Old 08-27-2017, 12:54 AM

1,963 posts, read 3,025,169 times
It means they have an earring. Or two. There is no secret message.

I used to have an earring, waaaaaaaaay back in the late 1970s. Why? Because men DIDN'T have earrings back then. So then the metrosexuals started this big earring movement in the 1990s, and so I took it out and let the hole scar over. Why be like everybody else? I used to wear a collar shirt and a tie to grateful dead concerts, and tie-died T-shirts to family thanksgiving dinner, to NOT be like everybody else. I used to use food coloring to dye my hair (because nobody did that - and it washed out fairly easily). I never got a mohawk (why copy other people?) or got tattoos (why copy other people?); I even stopped wearing denim jeans because EVERYBODY wore denim (why copy other people?).

So, what does it mean that a man has an earring? It means he got a hole (or two or three) in his ear and hangs something there.

Old 08-27-2017, 12:56 AM

1,963 posts, read 3,025,169 times
PS: "it doesn't hurt" or "it just hurts for a little while" is complete bulls.h.i.t. Getting your ear pierced (by a pro, maybe not with the potato-needle trick) hurts like hell.

Old 08-27-2017, 09:13 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,214,031 times
Quote:
Well, many people told me that men who wear earnings are sending a public message that they are gay and proud of who they are.

OK, but what does it mean if you are wearing two earrings, or just on one side (right, left).

I am asking this question because I've seen many men wear earnings, and some of whom wear it on one side.

On the other hand, many told me that wearing earrings do not have to do anything with sexuality.

I would like to hear your comments, please.
Sorry you are surprised and disappointed by the types of responses here. But truly, your question is one that people might have asked in the 1980s and had reasonable debates about in those days. Nowadays, men wearing earrings in the United States means absolutely nothing except a fashion statement. In fact, I know a lot of gay men, and not a single one wears an earring. So earrings don't mean anything. Anyone can and does wear them.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:27 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,187,979 times
Actually, I think the question was about men wearing EARNINGS.

Back when I was single, I kept trying to figure out a way to wear my EARNINGS, as I figured it would help to attract women. But I was never able to find the clothing that would adequately express my EARNINGS.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:37 AM

50,052 posts, read 63,405,659 times
Just for the record, I'm a female, and I think earrings on men look wrong. Imbellishing oneself seems feminine to me.

Thirty years ago, my friend's son went to Scotland for a semester, while he was in college. When he got off the plane, he had an earring. She was stewing, and stewing about it, and finally got the courage to ask him, "Jeff, does this mean you're gay now?" She was really worried it was his way of telling her. He wasn't, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
View detailed profiles of: