Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 01:25 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1eutian View Post

Today, it really doesn't matter. Who really wears an all-white outfit these days?
Me. All the time.

I live in white jeans and white tee shirts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2017, 01:32 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...GG7-veEO2QOq2g
Many still wear it.

Old 09-04-2017, 03:31 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shira_k View Post
I was curious about this rule. I don't usually have a lot of white, but as it turns out I bought white jeans and a white pleated skirt this year. So just curious if this rule is still observed.

If it makes a difference, I live in NJ and commute to the city every day.
I think the initial "rule" mostly applied to shoes and purses or handbags. Today I think white shoes and purses have fallen out of favor.

Other than on very elderly people, I rarely see stark white pumps or purses.

What I do see are white jeans, and pants for both men and women, white sleeveless dresses and white denim jackets - all of which look particularly good when someone has a tan or a bit of a "golden glow".

Personally, I NEVER wore white shoes. I always thought they were cloddish, tacky and ugly. Even at my wedding over thirty years ago, I opted for silver strappy sandals.

I never owned a white purse in my life - except as part of an Easter outfit as a child, with matching patent leather shoes.

I like white dresses, jeans and pants in the Summer. If it's hot in September and I feel like wearing white shorts to go to the supermarket, I would with no hesitation.
However, I would not elect to wear a white dress to a social event in September.

Possibly a light cream, but not stark white. Not because of "The Rule" I just don't think it's appropriate.

"Winter white" - essentially a warm white, can look nice - especially around the holidays.

Old 09-04-2017, 03:34 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
I was curious about this rule. I don't usually have a lot of white, but as it turns out I bought white jeans and a white pleated skirt this year. So just curious if this rule is still observed.

If it makes a difference, I live in NJ and commute to the city every day.
Why not follow the *I wear what I want to no matter what the experts spew* rule?

Old 09-04-2017, 04:39 PM

619 posts, read 575,514 times
Thanks everyone. As I said, I never really wore a lot of white in the past,
but now own a few white things *and* I have a nice summer glow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Why not follow the *I wear what I want to no matter what the experts spew* rule?
I usually do, but then I go out in the real world of work and want to look ok.

Old 09-04-2017, 05:04 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone. As I said, I never really wore a lot of white in the past,
but now own a few white things *and* I have a nice summer glow.

I usually do, but then I go out in the real world of work and want to look ok.
Exactly why would you not look okay in the real world of work wearing white?
More *expert* advice from other humans?

Old 09-04-2017, 05:16 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
This "rule" was obsolete after the 1960s. Wear what you want.

I do think that lightweight whites are not appropriate for cooler weather, for obvious reasons. And white is a great choice for a hot day. But I saw light, almost white, jeans being sold last winter. And you can sometimes find heavier, wool-type fabrics in whites, in winter.

At any rate the old rule was more about shoes. And these days we don't generally wear white shoes.

Old 09-04-2017, 05:48 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,866,481 times
I'm in the Midwest and I stick to the rule still

Old 09-04-2017, 06:01 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Meh. Rules are things like no cheating, no hitting, no stealing. They do not apply to fashion in my world.

Old 09-04-2017, 06:35 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Meh. Rules are things like no cheating, no hitting, no stealing. They do not apply to fashion in my world.
I don't know....stripes and plaids? just saying
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty