Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 03:25 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Well I'm 5'10, with size 10.5 feet. I really don't give a ****, what am I supposed to do? footbind?
Haha, join the club. I'm the same, only size 11 shoe. I have pretty much given up mall shopping, and stick to online at stores that fit me....Lands End, JJill, and Zappos for shoes. Tops, I can get anywhere, but not pants or shoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 05:03 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,485,925 times
I am a 16 but I wear men's as I have no hips. Also, 16 and above the fashion sense went out the window for women's. The larger sizes are boring, either with elastic waist or string tie, and no cool fashions, just plain pants. So, I buy men's; they are cheaper and, imho, better made. I also buy men's shoes for the same reason. I have wide feet and a men's 7.5 or 8 fits perfectly.

Old 09-05-2017, 05:34 PM
KCZ

4,675 posts, read 3,667,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Well I'm 5'10, with size 10.5 feet. I really don't give a ****, what am I supposed to do? footbind?
I'm also tall with size 10.5 feet. Why the **** do most women's shoe manufacturers stop making half sizes after size 10? Zappos sells 35K different women's shoes, 22K in size 9.5, 27K in size 10, 20K in size 11, but only 9K in size 10.5. What are they thinking? This merchandising doesn't reflect any normal size distribution.

Old 09-05-2017, 07:22 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,017,890 times
My daughter wears a ZERO petite with a sz 5 shoe and she is 16 at 5'2". Trying to find a prom dress/ homecoming dress even a dress for a FUNERAL , can be very difficult . If you are at either end it gets tough .

Old 09-05-2017, 07:39 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Over the years I've simply given up shopping for clothes & shoes in stores. I do all my shopping online. I find more selection in my size, without dressing room hassles, etc. You would think stores would get real about their target markets All I can find is those itty bitty little clothes. I suppose they look better on display walls, etc but at least have a selection in realistic sizes. After all, this is America! home of the well-fed

Old 09-05-2017, 07:45 PM

22,181 posts, read 19,221,727 times
i thought women that size did not exist (I swear I was born a size 12-14)
until my son introduced me to his fiancee (now wife). She is a size 0-2 and says it is hard to find clothes her size.
And her shoes! i love seeing them lined up by the front door, they look like doll shoes so tiny!

Old 09-05-2017, 11:20 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Apparently Costco has never gotten the word that there are tall people who shop there. I have never seen any tall sizes there. Ever. Don't feel alone.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:17 AM

10,897 posts, read 7,389,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
If you have never been a buyer for a store, you probably don't realize that you don't get to choose how many of a particular size you get to order. The mix is based upon size range for the particular item. If for example the minimum order is a dozen of a particular dress, the manufacturer sends you a pre established mix of sizes of that style - the manufacturer determines how many of each size the store will receive - not the buyer for the store. On top of that, the buyer has to place an order about 8 - 10 months before the season starts to insure delivery at the beginning of the season. Reorders of a popular item once the season starts is not possible.

Local retailers have a limited customer base and can't afford to order large quantities of one particular item due to how far their customers are willing to travel to their location. Since on line retailers are not limited by customer distance from their location - they can order more product with less associated risk. They still have to buy a pre established mix of sizes - but, because of the larger quantities it takes longer for them to run out of some sizes. The downside with on line stores is you can't try on the item before you buy and you can't always know the true color of the item until it is delivered. Returns can be costly with some online stores.

I am sure if local stores could order more of one particular size based upon the demand in their local area they would do so. Unfortunately manufacturers usually control the size mix the retailer will receive.
That's interesting, but I'm not sure it's true for all stores. I used to live near 3 Payless Shoe Source stores. One routinely carried my size--11.5 to 12--and even larger, but the other 2 didn't even have shelf space for shoes larger than 10.

I get annoyed when buying online when something is listed at a low price, but costs more in my size. Or is often out of stock in my size.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:19 AM

10,897 posts, read 7,389,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
I'm also tall with size 10.5 feet. Why the **** do most women's shoe manufacturers stop making half sizes after size 10? Zappos sells 35K different women's shoes, 22K in size 9.5, 27K in size 10, 20K in size 11, but only 9K in size 10.5. What are they thinking? This merchandising doesn't reflect any normal size distribution.
I hear you! I wear size 11.5, and usually have to get 12s. Even then, some 12s are too big and some are too small, even from the same manufacturer.

Old 09-06-2017, 05:25 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
I'm a size 2 and there any many times my size is out of stock. Just today I tried to order 3 different pairs of dress pants and all 3 were out of stock in size 0-4

I personally notice more 8's-12's then it seems scarce after that, like you pointed out
This is what I find as well - similarly, hard to find a small or sometimes even a medium. Maybe it is partially psychological that you notice more what you can't have but it may also be a stocking issue that they sell something and are slow to replace those items on the racks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty