Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 07:26 PM

1,110 posts, read 887,989 times

Advertisements

I am the size of the average U.S. woman, a size 14, which is considered fat by fashion standards, but I am 5 feet 8 inches tall. I went to Costco the other day, and no matter what clothing item I looked at, there were plenty of size 2s, 4s, and 6s, with 10s and 12s starting to thin out, some size 14s, and forget it beyond that. If I were a Costco buying executive, I would make sure that the average women's size was amply provided for (pun intended). I am certain that plenty of the smaller sizes are unsold at the end of the season. This does not make good business sense. Everyone (including other shops) is operating under the"fashion" paradigm, which caters to and values thin people, but ignores the reality of the American largesse. I sense that the U.S. has a tremendous waste of excess clothes at the end of every fashion season.

With shoes, the shops are a little better, because fat feet are less of an issue. I wear the U.S. average size for a woman, which is about an 8 or 9, and generally have no problem finding shoes in my size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2017, 07:33 PM

21,415 posts, read 8,625,857 times
I'm a 14, too, and I know just what you mean. The racks in our department stores are filled with sizes 0, 2, 4 and 6 and little or nothing in the larger sizes because those sell out first. I'm a petite, and I can't find anything to wear. Whoever designs petite sizes assumes that if you are heavier, you must have longer arms and legs, too. Wrong! So if a garment fits me in the bust the sleeves are too long. Or if the inseam is the right length, the hips and waist are too small. I have to have most of my clothing altered. I wish the fashion industry would get real about sizing.

Old 09-04-2017, 07:54 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,739,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
I'm a 14, too, and I know just what you mean. The racks in our department stores are filled with sizes 0, 2, 4 and 6 and little or nothing in the larger sizes because those sell out first. I'm a petite, and I can't find anything to wear. Whoever designs petite sizes assumes that if you are heavier, you must have longer arms and legs, too. Wrong! So if a garment fits me in the bust the sleeves are too long. Or if the inseam is the right length, the hips and waist are too small. I have to have most of my clothing altered. I wish the fashion industry would get real about sizing.
Plus size petites often start in a size 12WP, and might be the fit you're looking for. Catherine's and Talbot's have plus size petites but they're probably not any cheaper than buying other clothes and having them altered.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:56 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,712,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm0484 View Post
I am the size of the average U.S. woman, a size 14, which is considered fat by fashion standards, but I am 5 feet 8 inches tall. I went to Costco the other day, and no matter what clothing item I looked at, there were plenty of size 2s, 4s, and 6s, with 10s and 12s starting to thin out, some size 14s, and forget it beyond that. If I were a Costco buying executive, I would make sure that the average women's size was amply provided for (pun intended). I am certain that plenty of the smaller sizes are unsold at the end of the season. This does not make good business sense. Everyone (including other shops) is operating under the"fashion" paradigm, which caters to and values thin people, but ignores the reality of the American largesse. I sense that the U.S. has a tremendous waste of excess clothes at the end of every fashion season.

With shoes, the shops are a little better, because fat feet are less of an issue. I wear the U.S. average size for a woman, which is about an 8 or 9, and generally have no problem finding shoes in my size.
Clothing designers do not want to make clothing for sizes over 14/16.

https://fashionista.com/2013/08/why-...op-for-clothes
https://www.forbes.com/sites/didemta.../#6c4cfed52791
https://www.cnbc.com/2015/04/08/reta...ger-sizes.html
Plus-Size Women Not Fitting Into The Fashion Industry's Model, Says Tim Gunn : NPR

Old 09-04-2017, 09:05 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,054,791 times
I'm a size 2 and there any many times my size is out of stock. Just today I tried to order 3 different pairs of dress pants and all 3 were out of stock in size 0-4

I personally notice more 8's-12's then it seems scarce after that, like you pointed out

Old 09-04-2017, 09:08 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,524,144 times
Have you tried buying clothing online? I've had very good results with it for the last year or so. The stores order too few of the larger sizes, so people buy several when they are lucky enough to find them!

Old 09-04-2017, 09:11 PM

21,415 posts, read 8,625,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Plus size petites often start in a size 12WP, and might be the fit you're looking for. Catherine's and Talbot's have plus size petites but they're probably not any cheaper than buying other clothes and having them altered.
Thanks, Hedgehog Mom. I have tried petite plus sizes in the past, but they didn't work. My experience has been that they are designed for obese women, which I am not. Even the smallest plus size petites don't fit me well. The armholes are huge! My problem is that I have wide shoulders, wide hips, shortish legs and a big waist. I am too big for regular petites but not big enough for plus sizes. Guess I need to learn how to sew.

Old 09-04-2017, 09:19 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,863,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm0484 View Post

You are probably going to laugh (or cry) at this but...

I am 5'3" and until I started going through menopause about 9 months ago, I weighed around 105 lbs. Sometimes 100 lbs, sometimes 110 lbs but rarely. Depending on the brand, I wore anything from a size 0-size 4. I remember having a rough time finding clothing because it seemed that the clothes started at size 5 or 6, lol. At any rate I hated shopping for clothing and really swore when it was time for shoes because I wear a 5AAA and have flat feet

So fast forward to now and I packed on 30 lbs with the menopause and now find myself in a size 12. I have the dubious honor of being the only woman in my family that wears a double-digit size. Now it is hard to find a size 12. I am thoroughly convinced that the fashion industry and the stores think that all women are between a size 5 and a size 9 and wear at least a size 8 shoe. Based on what I see...I can't think otherwise

A size 14 is the average size and by no means is part of the "largesse". The fashion industry is famously out-of-touch from the reality of how women's bodies really look and creates impossible standards. Women's bodies are SUPPOSED to have curves and shape...and yes, generally they need to be bigger than a size 2 or 4 to look curvaceous

I modeled for a number of years when I was younger and even then never understood why I would get heat from the agency when I allowed myself to gain a couple of pounds (which actually made me look better). The entire fashion industry is unhealthy for body image IMO. I never had the issues but I knew a couple of other girls who would go without eating to get even thinner.

And to your other point, yes, there are a lot of clothes left over at the end of the season. I have a friend who is in the magical size 5-7 range and she makes out like a bandit at the end of season clearance sales.

Old 09-04-2017, 09:49 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,725,464 times
I shopped the clearance sales this weekend. Saw many many size 6, 8, 10, 16, and 18. I need 2s and 4s, depending on the manufacturer...very, very few of those available. It is frustrating.

Old 09-04-2017, 10:06 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,739,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Thanks, Hedgehog Mom. I have tried petite plus sizes in the past, but they didn't work. My experience has been that they are designed for obese women, which I am not. Even the smallest plus size petites don't fit me well. The armholes are huge! My problem is that I have wide shoulders, wide hips, shortish legs and a big waist. I am too big for regular petites but not big enough for plus sizes. Guess I need to learn how to sew.
My mom thinks they don't fit her for those reasons, unless we cut out the size tags out before we give them to her and say it just looked like it might be the right size. Then they fit perfectly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty