Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 10:27 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times

Advertisements

That "apple shape" thread made me try to figure out what's my own body type. Frankly, I can't really figure it out based on the descriptions. I'm not an apple or really a pear, even though my DEXA scan said that I was based on the fact that my hips had more body fat that my waist. I have pretty broad shoulders for a woman. It doesn't help that I also lift weights and am fairly muscular in the upper body. I thought I was an "inverted triangle" because of that, but then again I'm not really that either. My waist is defined and 9" smaller than my hips. So that would make me more of an hourglass with broad shoulders? My measurements tend to be 41" shoulders, 27.5-28 waist, hips 37. I have hardly anything "upstairs", so again I don't fit the "inverted triangle" description which says that i'd have a bigger bustline.

Ultimately I want to figure out what really works for me style wise and was looking for some advice online. I think I put myself together pretty well but can always use help. And it's hard to find style advice when you don't fit into defined categories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 12:50 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,968,204 times
you look slender/slim to me. Similar as I am. Flat belly, nice arms. I would try to show that off a little by tight jeans and tight tops. Especially stuff that shows your shoulder and arms, since they look amazingly toned. Show off your hard work at the gym.

Simple lines work best for me.

Old 09-15-2017, 07:47 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,925,177 times
You look amazing. Maybe still the hourglass. I am with Eve thinking nicely fitted tops and jeans will be the way to go.

I joined an online style group. Kind of a joke because I live in T-shirts and leggings. Never go anywhere or see people. BUT I still would like me to look nice to me. I did lose 90 pounds and still have the fat girl in the mirror picture of me in my brain. I shared some photos with the style group and was told too baggy too baggy. So I went to work and took in those T-shirts giving them a waist and narrowing the hip a couple inches. Tried one on and the difference was amazing. Now I can't wait to go wear it out some where. Then I did the same with half a dozen T-shirts and no longer look like the fat girl even to myself. I am not at all fat now. I also sewed strips of elastic across the shoulder seam bringing the shoulder in a bit on some of the really larger T-shirts. It helped to narrow my shoulder visually.

The group is on FB but you look to young to join. It is Style after 50 . I am way older than that but not ready to live the rest of my life in gunny sacks.

Old 09-15-2017, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
That "apple shape" thread made me try to figure out what's my own body type. Frankly, I can't really figure it out based on the descriptions. I'm not an apple or really a pear, even though my DEXA scan said that I was based on the fact that my hips had more body fat that my waist. I have pretty broad shoulders for a woman. It doesn't help that I also lift weights and am fairly muscular in the upper body. I thought I was an "inverted triangle" because of that, but then again I'm not really that either. My waist is defined and 9" smaller than my hips. So that would make me more of an hourglass with broad shoulders? My measurements tend to be 41" shoulders, 27.5-28 waist, hips 37. I have hardly anything "upstairs", so again I don't fit the "inverted triangle" description which says that i'd have a bigger bustline.

Ultimately I want to figure out what really works for me style wise and was looking for some advice online. I think I put myself together pretty well but can always use help. And it's hard to find style advice when you don't fit into defined categories.
I have never measured my shoulders so because of your post I did. They are 40 at about three inches below that dent on the top of shoulder. So my stats are 40 shoulder 38 chest 27 waist and 37 hip. What does this make my body style???

Old 09-16-2017, 12:11 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Eve - ok, thanks for the suggestions. A lot of the style sites want you to downplay your shoulders..and well I like them! Any style I should avoid?

Shades of Idaho - you and I sound like kindred spirits. I lost 73 lbs It's been a transition for me too, style wise. At 41, I'm kind of at this weird point in my life. I want to dress like "me" but I have to figure out what that is now. I like fast fashion, bright colors, and crazy patterns like I did when I was in my 20s. I don't want to look like a cougar! At the same time I'm not Sag Harbor either. Oh well.

Old 09-16-2017, 01:44 PM

Well I am 68 and I still wear bright colors and crazy fashions. My basic is leggings and a T-shirt around the house and yard work and dump runs so on. Going to town I change the leggings to jeans same tops maybe more fitted and shorter I am not so sure it is an age thing or as you say you lost 78 pounds so both of us has had a body image of ourselves that is not great. It is hard to over come the fact I no longer have to hide my body. HA my first big stepping out of the box was photo of my shoveling snow in a bathing suit as a huge joke last winter to those friends living in Florida that were begging me to walk from the snomageddon and come stay there with them. the thought came to me just as I was dressing for bed and I acted on it before I had another second to think it through and yes it was cool out there at maybe 15 degrees and a blizzard snow storm but I did not feel the cold I had been out in it so much for days trying to save my house and garage. I just did it and laughed so hard I could not wait to post it the next morning. Scrolling right and left shows more big snow photos and this was the first winter I was alone as a widow. I just KEWN hubby would do this to me. Hahahaha He had a sick sense of humor.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/501856...in/dateposted/

Too bad you are not old enough to join the fashion group they have been some what of a big help to me. Other times it is insane to think I would dress to go shovel wood chips which I should be doing right now. LOL My body is screaming at me after 10 loads so far.

In a way I want to throw it all out and totally start over. I have a book Cheep chick that tells how to do a simplistic wardrobe and I used to follow it and was so happy. Then I got fat and had to just buy things I could get my fat self into. then with such a weight loss over almost two years as you know the sizes of clothes change about every 10 or 15 pounds and it would be too expensive to keep buying new so I kept altering until they could no longer be altered. I was doing the altering of course not paying for it.

So for now I have bought a stack of leggings, maybe 6 or even 8 pair because some are the 3/4 length some ankle length. I wear them summer and winter. Inter under my jeans for warmth. I bought 6 pair of jeans that fit nicely and I bought new underwear. Hahaha My big girl panties were WAY TOO BIG. New Bras. this is as far as I have gone. The rest of my clothes are still going on thrift store finds and pass downs from a girlfriend that got heavy and gave me her smaller clothes. But not very many MY style. Soooooooooo Some of the T shirts I really do like and will be keeping them. Some I am just wearing because I have them and do not want to ruin the good ones because I have so few of them. Lots of summer dresses but I am mostly using them as night gowns now which works. HA I sleep in and some one comes to the door catching me in my night gown I look dressed. More then one way to skin a rabbit.

I think I need to get my Cheep Chic book back out and read it again. It is from maybe late 70's so fashions have changed but the principals are the same. This is my goal for this coming year to re do my wardrobe in an economical way. I figure if I LOVE everything I have to wear there is never a problem standing in the closet being or feeling discouraged. You and I are no longer fat we need to class it up even if we are miles apart in our ages. OK chips are calling me. UGH

Resting. I found the book on Kindle for $7.99 It is the old hippie look because it was written in 1975 but the principals are still there and I still am the old hippie LOL

https://www.amazon.com/Cheap-Chic-Hu...rds=Cheap+Chic

The paper back version it also there used for as low as $2.50 ish. I am seriously considering also getting th ekindle versons because It is so much easier for me to hold in my arthritic hands. HA my origioal copy is stamped $5.95.

There is also an updated version from 1978. Well I am not sure about it since I have never seen it. And only three years newer and only in paper back and so expensive. I am going to start in on re-reading this . It has been years since I really read it. Got so busy when I was first trying to read it I had to put it aside. Why for kindle would be good so I can read in bed.

Last edited by shades_of_idaho; 09-16-2017 at 03:12 PM..

Old 09-16-2017, 08:23 PM

102,219 posts, read 107,883,295 times
You got it, when you said "hourglass with big shoulders". So, you're a swimmer? Or you do a lot of upper-torso workouts?

We had a big debate here once, when someone asked if the designation: "hourglass", meant curvy on top, or if that was irrelevant. Opinions were divided, but leaned toward curviness. So, if that's true, i.e. if boobs are a required part of the hourglass thing, what body type are women who are smaller on top, but still have the hourglass silhouette? There are definitely women like that around. I think it's still an hourglass.

Old 09-17-2017, 08:52 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
I have the same body type - semi-hourglass with strong shoulders and broad back. I differ from OP, in that I have a large bust. I look like a swimmer, but I am not. The clothing I seem to prefer these days are stretchy capri pants and semi fitted tops. It is a good look for me, and works for most every occasion, especially since I live in Florida. For workouts and around the house some soft stretchy leggings.

I too went through a phase of losing a LOT of weight and having to change my wardrobe constantly (60 lbs)

Shades_of_idaho - I have that Cheap Chic book! I actually have the original hardback and the later revised hardback - both purchased in used bookstores decades ago. I will have to get that book out, it had great advice (and great pictures), but I think I am following it now somewhat, since I bought several pairs of my favorite capris in different colors, and many tops of the style I like.

Old 09-17-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I have the same body type - semi-hourglass with strong shoulders and broad back. I differ from OP, in that I have a large bust. I look like a swimmer, but I am not. The clothing I seem to prefer these days are stretchy capri pants and semi fitted tops. It is a good look for me, and works for most every occasion, especially since I live in Florida. For workouts and around the house some soft stretchy leggings.

I too went through a phase of losing a LOT of weight and having to change my wardrobe constantly (60 lbs)

Shades_of_idaho - I have that Cheap Chic book! I actually have the original hardback and the later revised hardback - both purchased in used bookstores decades ago. I will have to get that book out, it had great advice (and great pictures), but I think I am following it now somewhat, since I bought several pairs of my favorite capris in different colors, and many tops of the style I like.
gypsychic congratulation on your large weight loss too.

Yep I am heading this direction too. It is so much easier to just kind of wear the uniform. Not really boring as some would think. I feel it is less stressful to just be able to know everything in your closet goes with each other and makes you feel wonderful so no matter what you grab to put on you will walk out of your closet looking fab. For me the different colors switch it up enough and if I have a mind to dress it up with a strand of beads on a non yard work day I can. Laundry is also so much easier.

When I really had it paired down I actually had everything on hangers , on a foot long rod on my side and not tightly packed, except sweaters and it felt like I was reaching into my closet file cabinet for the color and pant of the day. Silly way to think on it but it was just so easy and no more daily changing my mind 10 times when getting dressed and still feeling like crap. The more I reread of this book even though the styles are not up to date the more I want to get back to this ASAP. Now I am on the hunt for the perfect T-shirts. Add in my hermit life style I could be wearing rags every day and no one would see me so this would totally be a step up for me.

Old 09-17-2017, 12:09 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
I have a "uniform" or more accurately themes. I have a set of colors thst 90% of my wardrobe falls into that all coordinate. I wear a lot of dresses. And cardigans. Mostly patterned dresses. I don't seem to like solid colors. If I am not wearing a patterned dress, I tend to wear striped or polka dotted tops and skinny jeans. I do not seen to like patterned bottoms either.

I think starting with a color palette is a good starting point. Even as I have mixed in new shapes and styles, they match in my color palette. I am on about 8 years and counting with these limited colors I recently added a couple of colors. But they all work together. My palette is black, grey in all shades, dark pink or fuschia, cobalt blue, dark purple and oxblood or burgundy. I also like black and white graphic prints. Just about anything that falls out of that never gets worn. Makes shopping simpler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty