Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 08:35 AM

13,262 posts, read 7,978,903 times

Advertisements

A few months ago, we attended a zydeco festival in New Orleans, where friends of mine were playing. New Orleans, in the summer, is hot, and it's humid. My face gets all red and blotchy when it's hot and humid like that, and make up just sort of...goes away. LOL

After everyone performed, I took a picture of me and one of my friends together. The first one looked like crap, and I said something to that effect, and my friend says "That's ok, you make me look good."

Well, he wasn't wrong. LOLOLOL I had to laugh. I don't think he meant it the way it came out...but it sure wasn't very affirming. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 09:15 AM

18,504 posts, read 18,652,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
My mom will let me know when she doesn't think I look my best. She doesn't do it to be mean but she's just very critical, but she'll also tell me when she thinks I look nice. Other than that, no one insults my looks. I try not to comment on other people's looks unless I'm saying something positive.
Im very like you and would never insult anyones looks but praise them for looking good... but I too had a mother a bit like yours and it can really bring your confidence down.. she has this thing when she would. say............"OH do you like that style" then stop.... I knew right off that she didnt like it and wasnt her thing.... leaving me very down.... she would also compare me to others who were wearing the same dress, if she thought they looked better in it when a real mother would surely have seen through other eyes or shut up...she also would have small digs at me laughing about my bad eyesight and having to wear specs.. she saw this as some kind of failure.. and ugly... so for me Id say my mother...When I was 18 I was voted prettiest girl in the factory and when my friend told her she said.....OH there cant have been many went in for the contest hahahaha.

Old 09-25-2017, 10:31 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,722,197 times
I was insulted constantly during my school years, but weirdly, they totally overlooked the things that bullies would normally target: the buck teeth, the spinal curvature, the fact that I only weighed 12 pounds (of course that was very much in fashion in those days). They insulted my hair, which was, you know, pretty average.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:58 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,206,334 times
I got made fun of for my ears growing up, they stuck out. Got called Dumbo, etc. Also had glasses, and braces for a while. Had surgery when I was 14ish to pin them back.

Did a 180 in looks between age 14 to 16. Girls that wouldn't give me the time of day before now wanted to hang out and date me but I never did.

As an adult, I'm happy that I was bullied and made fun of as a kid, to be honest. It made me a very strong person, where it takes an awful lot to really bother me. It also made me compassionate for others who aren't good looking or who get bullied for whatever reason. I really feel for kids today though... kids mainly got bullied at school, but after school, they could escape back in my day. Today, it's non-stop through social media, cell phones, etc.

Old 09-25-2017, 01:10 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,569,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Not in real life. But trolls on online dating sites have proactively reached out to me to call me lovely things like “ugly gorilla.” It happens a few time a year.

What made no sense to me is that these are people that live nowhere near me. Haven’t visited their pages. Would not be a type I would search for. So basically they are so lame they are bored enough to just go look for black women to send nasty messages to. Sad.
Wow, seriously? I can't say that's ever happened to me on a dating site.

Old 09-25-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Im very like you and would never insult anyones looks but praise them for looking good... but I too had a mother a bit like yours and it can really bring your confidence down.. she has this thing when she would. say............"OH do you like that style" then stop.... I knew right off that she didnt like it and wasnt her thing.... leaving me very down.... she would also compare me to others who were wearing the same dress, if she thought they looked better in it when a real mother would surely have seen through other eyes or shut up...she also would have small digs at me laughing about my bad eyesight and having to wear specs.. she saw this as some kind of failure.. and ugly... so for me Id say my mother...When I was 18 I was voted prettiest girl in the factory and when my friend told her she said.....OH there cant have been many went in for the contest hahahaha.
Yeah, in my mom's case, I think it's just because most of the women on her side of the family are very vain and think they're hot stuff (they aren't, tbh). My mom was considered sexy and fashionable when she was younger (and she still tries to be), so I think it bothers her that I didn't take after her in that regard.

Old 09-25-2017, 01:39 PM

20,704 posts, read 8,472,156 times
No, other than envy about my being so 'lucky' I'm thin. When I enlightened them by saying I count calories and exercise they were the ones who seemed insulted.

The OP should get his ears pinned back if it bothers him.

Old 09-25-2017, 01:51 PM

237 posts, read 784,524 times
IN HS, this girl called me all kinds of nasty names because her boyfriend had cheated on her with me...of course, I didn't know he was with someone and only hung out with him once, but she found out, and had all these nice things to say about me afterwards. LOL. Gotta laugh.

Old 09-25-2017, 01:55 PM

9,471 posts, read 9,347,519 times
This is not exactly insulting, but kind of upsetting. Recently, my husband and I were talking about how we look as we have aged. He said to me, "You look... You look....". He couldn't come up with an adjective. I was pretty until about a year ago. He couldn't manage to say "nice" or even lie and say "pretty." Since he was floundering and looking for a word for so long, I finally interjected "good." And he said "yes." It really hurt that he couldn't say something nice to me.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
This is not exactly insulting, but kind of upsetting. Recently, my husband and I were talking about how we look as we have aged. He said to me, "You look... You look....". He couldn't come up with an adjective. I was pretty until about a year ago. He couldn't manage to say "nice" or even lie and say "pretty." Since he was floundering and looking for a word for so long, I finally interjected "good." And he said "yes." It really hurt that he couldn't say something nice to me.
Time for a divorce?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty