Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 09:11 AM

494 posts, read 501,147 times

Advertisements

I live in Phoenix and would not leave the house without sunscreen. I wear it everyday of the year because I want to protect my skin from skin cancer and reduce potential for wrinkles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 09:57 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
I do plenty of things - I layer on all sorts of moisturizers and use serums with antioxidants. My sister does little, and just recently started using sunscreen. I have been using sunscreen since I was 18. We have good genes - our mom and female relatives on both sides basically did nothing and have few wrinkles and other signs of aging, even into their late 60s and 70s.

But I have had some hormonal issues that caused unevenness so that's why I started using more products, so I was losing since I had hyper pigmentation.

We'll see who wins the aging race. Right now it is basically a tie. I am 3 years older. I have some grey hairs which make me look older - but no wrinkles or lines.

I think for those of you who have done little - not even sunscreen - are probably older. There was definitely more ozone for most of your years, the sun is much stronger now so I think younger people need to use sunscreen just to counteract the stronger rays that exist now.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:13 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,359,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I think for those of you who have done little - not even sunscreen - are probably older. There was definitely more ozone for most of your years, the sun is much stronger now so I think younger people need to use sunscreen just to counteract the stronger rays that exist now.
I wear a hat. I use a sunscreen in the summer when I'm outdoors a lot, but otherwise, I just stay out of the sun in mid-day and use clothing to protect my skin from sun damage, which is always on my mind because I'm a redhead with fair skin.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:47 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,030,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
So is there anyone else who doesn't really do anything special for skin care....doesn't buy any of the lotions, potions and serums that DOZENS of skin care companies push at us every day?

Yes, I have good -- no, excellent genes -- (when it comes to good skin and looking younger than my age)....but in addition to that....I do nothing extra for skin care and anti-aging, other than wash my face (with soap and my hands) -- and a little exfoliation every 3-4 months -- maybe?

I watch a lot of home shopping TV...and there are sooo may skin care products on there. You could go broke trying them all. Even if you just tried some of them until you found a line that worked for you....you'd still be potentially THOUSANDS of dollars out of pocket. Some of this stuff is $150 a jar -- and up!

Granted, I also don't where make-up, who may be why washing my face with soap and my hands is enough for me. Where as if I wore make-up I might feel the need for more "cleansing."

I just see all the ingredients and compounds that are promoted -- Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Retinol, AHAs, Pycnogenol, Hyaluronic acid, Black Rice, hydroxyproline, bee pollen, Argan oil. and that's just off the top of my head......it's crazy. (to me anyway)

I know some people say they just like skin care products, that's they're thing, they're skin care junkies. Some people like shoes or handbags....they do skin care.

I was just wondering if there's anyone who hasn't been bitten by the 'skin care bug." Who wasn't spending $150 for a jar of whatever promises to "lessen fine lines and wrinkles."

Oh, that's an old pitch...forgive me....the new thing now is getting rid of "crepiness."
I wash my face with a gentle cleanser in the shower and that's it. Vaseline intensive care lotion for body & hands when we have low humidity, and SPF 30 sunscreen everywhere & a hat when I'm outside (which is most of my free time in Southern California). I don't wear makeup, either.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:30 AM

29 posts, read 28,689 times
There's no way I could use soap and water... that would dry my face out so bad. Everyone is different... what works for you might not work for others. I live in Florida and we own a boat... sun spots are a daily battle for my skin. I've tried multiple brands of products. I truly think that your body gets used to one product and it becomes less effective. I've currently been using a product called Lifecell, my mom recommended it. She found it on a beauty blog, Eternally Beautiful Women. There's a few other products on their I think. I would definitely add some kind of moisturizer to your daily routine... I would imagine it would catch up to you eventually.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:31 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,372,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
You might get by for awhile without taking special care of your skin, but as you age your skin will dry.
Man, I hope so--I've had super oily skin for as long as I can remember (not breakouts, my problems have always been clogged pores and shine.) I turned 40 last year and all the skincare recommendations for women my age are for super heavy moisturizers. I'm still using just sunscreen and mattifying serums.

Old 09-26-2017, 01:28 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,688,437 times
The only "skin care" I do is wash, pat dry, and apply an Aveeno moisturizer. That's it. I don't but the anti-aging stuff or expensive creams. Eat healthy, try and get enough sleep, keep clean, and moisturize.

Old 09-26-2017, 01:34 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,863,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post

I used to cover myself in sunscreen every time I went outdoors. Then I became allergic. I wear a hat and long sleeves if I'm going to be outdoors now. Sometimes I wonder if I used it too often and that's how I became allergic.

Old 09-26-2017, 02:21 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,144,036 times
Along with moisturizer, we should all use sunscreen when we are outside. I think daily moisturizing and sunscreen are the two most important things, unless you smoke. Smoking has a bad effect on one's skin, as well as on your lungs. I guess I'd prioritize them this way:

1. don't smoke
2. clean and moisturize daily
3. use sunscreen

It is pretty simple, really. I think so many of us don't look as old as our forebears did at our ages, is because we live easier lives, with better nutrition and fewer health threatening diseases.

Old 09-26-2017, 02:55 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I used to cover myself in sunscreen every time I went outdoors. Then I became allergic. I wear a hat and long sleeves if I'm going to be outdoors now. Sometimes I wonder if I used it too often and that's how I became allergic.
I wonder, I recently switched to non-chemical sunscreen. Wow it was really hard to find one that didn't make me look ashy. I really like this one: http://www.aveneusa.com/concerns/sun...-lotion-spf-50

But I am a dark-skinned black person, so I have lots of built-in protection. I put it on my face and on my body sometimes if I am going to be outside all day. I am not super religious about full body coverage, and I am not in the sun that often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty