Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 09:49 AM

496 posts, read 549,782 times

Advertisements

The OP is mixing two issues: older people's looks versus younger people's looks, and good taste/bad taste in dress.

Personally, I like to see people, no matter their age, who keep themselves in good shape. It takes a lot of work and discipline and is worthy to be admired. I believe they can show their good physiques without any sacrifice of good taste. They can wear bathing suits on the beach or at the pool. They can wear shorts and tight tops at the gym. Women can wear short frocks or low-cut ones to theater, restaurants, other events. (think of Mme Macron, first lady of France, whose figure at 64 is gorgeous). Men can wear shorts and tank tops most anywhere, if the temperature is right for it.

OTOH I do not think booty shorts are in good taste on anybody, except at the beach or pool. That doesn't mean I want laws passed to prevent people from wearing them, nor hiss and draw aside when they pass by.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:51 AM

18,774 posts, read 27,204,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Obviously she's working hard to stay in shape so she can feel comfortable in clothes like that. Why is it your business? Usually when someone complains about this or about older women with long hair, it's because they were checking her out and didn't realize she was closer to their mom's age than to their own age until they saw her face.
No, it is not our business. But, it is also rather hard to go to populated places and function there, same trying to avoid seeing ugliness exposed in various forms. And be it noted, I am not referring to this particular female, which I am actually questioning, why she was considered "older".
I am referring to in your face ugliness, tasteless, vulgar, obvious. Plenty places where you can't even look around without having your sense of taste offended with it.
And yet, is is "expressing thyself', "being free", "showing your individuality" and so on. Topped with "tolerance" and "political correctness".
Ugly is ugly, no matter how elastic are tights you wear. No matter how low cut is your top. No matter how much you paid for tattoos on that flabby skin hanging down everywhere. No matter how much shiny stuff you have hanging on you. no matter how large is PINK on your buttocks.
it's ugly. It's offensive to others.
But. It's not your business, right?

Old 09-30-2017, 10:30 AM

44,257 posts, read 64,062,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I am referring to in your face ugliness, tasteless, vulgar, obvious. Plenty places where you can't even look around without having your sense of taste offended with it.
And yet, is is "expressing thyself', "being free", "showing your individuality" and so on. Topped with "tolerance" and "political correctness".
Ugly is ugly, no matter how elastic are tights you wear. No matter how low cut is your top. No matter how much you paid for tattoos on that flabby skin hanging down everywhere. No matter how much shiny stuff you have hanging on you. no matter how large is PINK on your buttocks.
Yeah! Like men in flipflops!

Old 09-30-2017, 10:39 AM

12,592 posts, read 8,820,605 times
Doesn't matter what the age, if she has the body for it, go for it. Those who can appreciate it, will. Those who won't, won't.

Old 09-30-2017, 10:39 AM

11,906 posts, read 5,532,869 times
Sure we can, as long as we address them as separate issues.

Old 09-30-2017, 10:43 AM

2,132 posts, read 2,272,582 times
I don't even think it's appropriate for younger women to wear skimpy or too revealing outfits. So no, I don't think "older" women should. And most women I see exude beauty, confidence and femininity without titillation.

Having said that, I don't believe that the type of women mentioned in the OP's post are always trying to get attention. Sometimes it's just their personal style and taste, and I'm sure they don't care what others think.

Old 09-30-2017, 10:45 AM

35,095 posts, read 50,966,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothick View Post
Earlier today I was doing some shopping and running some errands. When I was checking out there was a woman in front of me that was probably 40-45 but she was wearing a very low-cut top and booty shorts. Granted, she seemed to be in shape and good for her age, but nevertheless, after a certain age is it really appropriate for women to be wearing very skimpy/revealing things? Say about 35 but 40 at the latest?
It is about as appropriate as any woman any age wearing the same outfit or a man going without a shirt in a public place that is not a beach or pool.
Otherwise it is generally best to tend to your own life and clothing and not worry with the things others are doing.

Old 09-30-2017, 11:14 AM

284 posts, read 375,930 times
Please explain why you feel it is appropriate for a young woman, and exactly why it's not appropriate for an older woman?

Old 09-30-2017, 11:18 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,016,980 times
Quote:
No, it is not our business. But, it is also rather hard to go to populated places and function there, same trying to avoid seeing ugliness exposed in various forms.
What's so hard about it? If you don't like it you don't have to look. Is your functional capacity improved when your eyes behold beauty? When I was about 22, this one guy ran his truck over a curb into a light pole because he was staring at me walking down the sidewalk (he was only going about 10mph; not injured).

Not that I was amazingly stunning or anything; I just feel he might have been less dysfunctional had I been elderly.

Quote:
And be it noted, I am not referring to this particular female, which I am actually questioning, why she was considered "older".
Okay; so it's sad. It's not something that should be taken so personally. Women are hardly the sole offenders with this: There is always a "Too Much Cologne Guy" lurking around. A Mr. Mid-Life Crisis on a Harley Guy & the inevitable "Comb-Over at the Club Dude". The other day I was stared down by an obviously 40-something guy who was trying to pull off Vanilla Ice; ack!

And it's almost worse, as a woman, to see young women who are trying too hard, because you know that they are already a slave to negative attention. It's only downhill from there. I used to be like that; it makes me cringe to see some of the pictures in my parents photo albums (what was I thinking!).

I envy the husband; he's 61 & despite being an "odd" size not normally found in retail stores (pants: 38 x 38), he has worn the same cut of Wranglers since he was 18 ... from what I can tell from photos, they looked great then as they do now. But 99% of the stuff marketed to women? Wouldn't look good on anyone of any age; unless they had the figure of a 12 year old boy ... "Muffin tops" are no more attractive on an 18 year old than a 48 year old.

Old 09-30-2017, 11:19 AM

44,257 posts, read 64,062,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedal Wench View Post
Please explain why you feel it is appropriate for a young woman, and exactly why it's not appropriate for an older woman?
Been waiting for that answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty