Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 10:30 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,141,829 times

Advertisements

Hi there. I've never worn any makeup except for a tiny bit of blush and I'm really startin to feel like I need to glam up a little with my face and hair and clothes (although green is a bit of a problem right now ) Anyways I've heard a lot of good things about Bare Essentials so I might try that (if it's not too much) I really wanna get some foundation to try and maybe some blush but really can't afford much. Any tips on the best brands? Also at the end of the day what is the best way to remove makeup quickly? And last question what is the best brand for hair highlights? (and easiest to apply!) Thankyou so much for your advice.

Sincerely the makeup virgin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 10:56 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,165,636 times
As far as highlights go - if you've never had it done before, I would suggest going to a professional and watch him/her and their techniques.

When it comes to makeup, it really depends on your face. For me, I actually prefer liquid foundation over powder foundation - Loreal TrueMatch is my favorite. In fact, most of Loreal's products are great.

For my eyeshadow, I use StageLine, Loreal H.I.P, Maxim, and a few other brands depending upon: how I feel, what I'm wearing, how I want to be perceived.

For eyeliner, I love kohl pencils - Maybelline Expert Eyes is one of my favorites... along with Sephora.

For Mascara, I'm currently using either my StageLine or Rimmel LashMaxxx mascaras.

For all other face designs (sparkles, extra color, etc) I typically love StageLine or Kyrolan.

Then again, I go for a dramatic effect on the eyes quite often. Today I have bright cerulean eyeshadow along the inner area of my eyelids and a bright violet along the outside. There's a little bit of sparkly gold shadow in between. I lined underneath my eyes and used black mascara for my top lashes only.

What type of look are you going for?

Old 03-18-2008, 10:59 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,165,636 times
When you remove makeup.. if you are not using waterproof make-up, the easiest way is to dampen a hand towel and go for it. I have one or two make-up cleaner only handtowels.

If you have waterproof makeup, Loreal has a great makeup remover that doesn't irritate my skin at all.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:10 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,141,829 times
Oh I've had highlights before. Many times. Both professionally and homestyle. I've actually never done it myself though, my mom does it when she comes down to visit me which is only about twice a year. She's coming down in May and I'd like her to do it then.

As for a look. Hmmmm. Not sure there. Just a more glam look I guess. I'm starting to feel too much like one of those SAHM's that neglects herself and then ends up with low self esteem.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:21 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,260,718 times
I second the kohl eyeliner-- its very creamy and smooth. I like Loreal. Look into some Loreal lip gloss-- they give your lips a nice shimmery look. A nice nude tone would be perfect no matter what your tone. For foundation, I found a mousse like brand, I think it was maybellline, it comes in a small round jar and is very light and fluffy. IMO, Id do OTC first before going to something like Bare Essentials. It can be pricey and its only available online. When buying Eyeshadow, since your new, keep the colors nude and shimmery. You can search the net to to find what colors go best with your eyes..

Old 03-18-2008, 12:34 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,917,326 times
Anyways I've heard a lot of good things about Bare Essentials so I might try that (if it's not too much) I really wanna get some foundation to try and maybe some blush but really can't afford much.

Sincerely the makeup virgin [/quote]

I LOVE Bare Essentials. I got the intro pack from QVC and it wasn't too expensive. You can also get it at Sephora (either store or on-line). I have freckles and I like how it blends. Cream foundation gives me too much coverage. I use the BE bronzer for the blush and it works well for me.

Their eyebrow stuff (BE) is great. I WANTED to buy the eyebrow kit that was shown on Oprah (Anastasia maybe or something like it) but I wasn't spending over $75 on my brows. So I went to Longs and got the eyebrow shaper things (sticky template/form things) that you put over the brows to get the right shape and then you fill it in with your pencil or the powder brow stuff (and pluck anything outside the eyebrow form). It works the same as the Oprah kit. BE has sunblock in it which is a bonus (although I think many do now anyway).

For mascara, I have found that while I LOVE the super expensive stuff I can get at Nordstrom's (Lancome is my fav there) Covergirl is my favorite drugstore kind which I buy regularly now.

The best piece of advice someone can give you re make-up is also getting REALLY good brushes. Not the kind that are cheap where the brush hair falls out, but the real kind that make-up pro's use. They will last a long time if you take care of them so they are a good investment. Also get a good face wash and moisturizer.

As a hairdresser, please do NOT highlight your own hair. A good highlight will be sort of expensive but not nearly as expensive as a color correction should it go haywire (most salons won't quote you a price to fix your color, it is more an hourly rate which can be over $200/hour with no guarantee of outcome, color can be VERY tricky for those that aren't trained). You will only have to get your highlights done every 2-3 months so it is money well spent. Also, your hair won't get as damaged by having a reputable person do it. It takes a good hairdresser years to be really good at highlights and nothing is worse than seeing someone with striped hair (that wasn't supposed to be that way) OR seeing rows and rows of broken hair that is 1/4 inch long because a non-pro or bad pro did a botch job and left the color on too long.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:58 PM

324 posts, read 883,063 times
If you're not used to wearing make-up, I would definitely follow the rule of less is more. If you don't have terrible skin, then there is no need to cover it up with a bunch of foundation. I would start by using a little blush, mascara, and lip-gloss...maybe a pearly eyeshadow if you really want. When it comes to make-up, I really do think that keeping it low key is the best way to go, especially for everyday wear.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:20 PM

562 posts, read 2,402,700 times
I am a makeup person but it always seems to me that people who have had a natural look for years actually look better with less. I realized I was sallow at the age of 10 and started dipping into mom's blush. A friend of mine rarely wears makeup, and when she does, she uses a creamy bronze shimmer just at the outer edges of her eyes,almost a V shape going out. She uses a mascara,probably a little natural blush. It looks amazing,brings out her eyes. If you are younger,that and a little lipgloss may be all you need.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:27 PM

562 posts, read 2,402,700 times
I am a makeup person but it always seems to me that people who have had a natural look for years actually look better with less. I realized I was sallow at the age of 10 and started dipping into mom's blush. A friend of mine rarely wears makeup, and when she does, she uses a creamy bronze shimmer just at the outer edges of her eyes,almost a V shape going out. She uses a mascara,probably a little natural blush. It looks amazing,brings out her eyes. If you are younger,that and a little lipgloss may be all you need.
I agree that actual home hi-lite kits can turn out badly, I am pretty good at home coloring but they look brassy, and are impossible to touch up yourself. I've gone to hand painting with color a few shades lighter than mine to create dimension,(see my post on"do you hide the fact you color?")but it is not that really defined look- you need a pro for that. Good luck becoming a more glam SAHM !

Old 03-18-2008, 08:23 PM

23,012 posts, read 34,372,809 times
Hey dreameyes I remember seeing your picture last year, you are a natural beauty and do have beautiful eyes that you should really play up. A good eyeliner and mascara can enhance what you already have, I love Lancome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty