Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 04:20 PM

804 posts, read 545,449 times

Advertisements

Until I step in quicksand and the entire footwear is covered in seaweed mud.

When i start to see creases in the footwear. It is suppose to stretch but does not.

When I see those spots. Usually colored garments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 09:17 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,126,824 times
Turned over heels, cracks in shoe upper, holes in soles. Not repairable.

Old 08-05-2018, 03:08 AM

18,527 posts, read 18,748,986 times
Depends I have very comfy loafers , suede and quite expensive.. that I take the dog out for walks .. I wont part with them . soles are still intact and dont care how they look for the park...

Last edited by dizzybint; 08-05-2018 at 03:20 AM..

Old 08-05-2018, 04:33 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,948,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Water comes in through the sole.

Upper separates from the sole and my toe sticks out.

Nasty scuffs or stains that will not polish out.

Some shoes - when the laces break.
Or -- they smell so bad that you can't be in the same room with them once you take them off....

Old 08-05-2018, 04:36 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,948,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Depends I have very comfy loafers , suede and quite expensive.. that I take the dog out for walks .. I wont part with them . soles are still intact and dont care how they look for the park...
Yes, I agree. For shoes that I have primarily for comfort, I don't really care how they look, as long as they haven't worn through to the pavement.

With dress shoes, I have to be careful in the winter, since exposure to salt ruins the leather pretty quickly and once that happens, they have to be polished constantly to camouflage the damage. Or I have to get rid of them. Generally, I like to keep shoes until the sole is worn out.

With casual sneakers, I keep them until the sole is worn through. When the rubber on the bottom is worn enough that water can come through, I have to stop wearing them, even though the top part usually still looks OK.

Old 08-05-2018, 06:33 AM

669 posts, read 582,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
When they look crappy and/or are no longer supportive.

Sums it all up!

Old 08-05-2018, 06:56 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
I have a pair of Born ankle boots that are at least 20 years old, maybe 25 years old. I take them in to the local shoe repair shop and get them spiffed up every couple of years. I've had them resoled twice. When they get done with them, they look new. I put this much effort into them because 20 something years ago, they were $180 - but believe me, I've gotten my money's worth out of them. The average cost for resoling and shining them up like new is under $10.

Many times a heel and some scuffing can be repaired or touched up very easily, so if a shoe was expensive, and is comfortable and I wear the pair pretty often, I will touch them up. I'm pretty particular about my shoes and just won't wear shoes that look worn, not when they're so easy to spiff back up. If shoes are "good enough" I will pay to have them resoled. But I don't do that often.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:06 AM

18,527 posts, read 18,748,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I have a pair of Born ankle boots that are at least 20 years old, maybe 25 years old. I take them in to the local shoe repair shop and get them spiffed up every couple of years. I've had them resoled twice. When they get done with them, they look new. I put this much effort into them because 20 something years ago, they were $180 - but believe me, I've gotten my money's worth out of them. The average cost for resoling and shining them up like new is under $10.

Many times a heel and some scuffing can be repaired or touched up very easily, so if a shoe was expensive, and is comfortable and I wear the pair pretty often, I will touch them up. I'm pretty particular about my shoes and just won't wear shoes that look worn, not when they're so easy to spiff back up. If shoes are "good enough" I will pay to have them resoled. But I don't do that often.
good for you lady I like that..... I dont do buying tons of shoes I have three comfy good pairs that I try to rotate. and three pairs of boots Ive had to two or three years.. I dont understand seeing a womans shoe closet or cupboard packed with 20 or more pairs of fancy shoes... never have ...

Old 08-12-2018, 12:10 AM

45 posts, read 29,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Some shoes - when the laces break.
Well, laces are easy to replace. Also, most shoes you can wear without laces, anyway.

Old 08-12-2018, 12:03 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
I get bored with my shoes and give them away long before they look bad.

Take care of your shoes.

When you take them off, clean them, stuff them with paper, put them in dust bags.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty