Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 07:01 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times

Advertisements

So my flight was delayed and I got to the airport early. I’m wearing my cordovan colored oxfords. They are looking scuffed. I walk past the shoe shine booth. It is staffed and the shiner is finishing up another customer. I decided to get my first shoe shine!

I had no idea what to expect, but it was amazing. She cleaned up the scuffs on my heels, and covered them with matching markers. She added the proper color of polish to cover the scuffs. And of course there was rounds of buffing and waxing. Ow my shoes look better than they did out of the box.

Why is this custom getting killed off? It is great and my outfit looks way better now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2017, 08:45 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,551,932 times
You can't make a full time living doing it. There was a time when I belonged to the local YMCA the guys handing out towels would also shine your shoes if you left outside your locker for extra cash. Those days are gone as well.

Old 11-16-2017, 05:50 AM

4,004 posts, read 2,084,030 times
My husband shined shoes for pin money as a kid. Lots of kids did that way back then. Today, they just ask their parents for everything they want and walk around staring at a phone screen.

I agree OP. Shoes can look much better when shined. You can do that yourself. The brushes, cloths, dyes and polishes are still sold, and sometimes you can find an old school barber shop that also has someone shining shoes. Even shoe repair shops are getting father and fewer between. They are nice to replace soles and heels on a nice pair that you have walked through.

Old 11-16-2017, 07:21 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
The problem is that people no longer wear shoes very often that need a shine. Business casual dress, and even casual in many offices has reduced the need for both shoe shines and drycleaners which are also going away. Here in our office of about 400, most men are wearing khakis or jeans with sneakers, with the exception of the top executives who may have to meet with the board or local public officials in the course of their day. On Fridays almost everyone wears jeans, and even Seahawk jerseys are encouraged for "Blue Friday." I often wear $50 leather walking shoes to work, but they are not worth spending money to get shined even if there were a place anywhere nearby. I just use the good old Kiwi polish once in a while, no one cares how shiny they are, including me. Does anyone really go around looking at other people's shoes?

Old 11-16-2017, 08:18 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
My husband shined shoes for pin money as a kid. Lots of kids did that way back then. Today, they just ask their parents for everything they want and walk around staring at a phone screen.

I agree OP. Shoes can look much better when shined. You can do that yourself. The brushes, cloths, dyes and polishes are still sold, and sometimes you can find an old school barber shop that also has someone shining shoes. Even shoe repair shops are getting father and fewer between. They are nice to replace soles and heels on a nice pair that you have walked through.
I definitely get shoes resoled. My fave super affordable shoe repair place closed (their home got reconstructed.) and I do not like the one in my neighborhood. I am looking for a new one. I have shoes that need some clean up.

The pair I wore yesterday was definitely meant to be shiny but having them a little scruff looking also made them feel less dressy, which worked too. They are a croc embossed menswear-inspired pointed toe oxford. Thry’d Be a really formal men’s shoe. I wear them with jeans, leggings and some dresses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The problem is that people no longer wear shoes very often that need a shine. Business casual dress, and even casual in many offices has reduced the need for both shoe shines and drycleaners which are also going away. Here in our office of about 400, most men are wearing khakis or jeans with sneakers, with the exception of the top executives who may have to meet with the board or local public officials in the course of their day. On Fridays almost everyone wears jeans, and even Seahawk jerseys are encouraged for "Blue Friday." I often wear $50 leather walking shoes to work, but they are not worth spending money to get shined even if there were a place anywhere nearby. I just use the good old Kiwi polish once in a while, no one cares how shiny they are, including me. Does anyone really go around looking at other people's shoes?
Oh I absolutely notice shoes. And will comment on them for men or women! I have a fun pair of half snake menswear-ish booties. I can’t wear them with out at least 3 strangers commenting. So people absolutely notice.

Old 11-16-2017, 08:21 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,678,784 times
Saw a mall kiosk that cleans athletic shoes, a small line was forming for the service. I guess we have moved on from wearing clothing or footwear that connotes anything nearing a more formal type of dress. Shoe shine stands were common when I was young, and most of those who wore real dress shoes to work knew they had to be maintained, I still wear nice leather loafers with jeans, but that's the old look, and I'm old..

Old 11-16-2017, 08:26 AM

45,420 posts, read 60,608,674 times
I used to shine mine every week when I was working, three pairs which I rotated daily. That may be a throwback to OCS.

Corfams were one way to cheat.

Old 11-16-2017, 08:39 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,388,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Does anyone really go around looking at other people's shoes?
Yes they do. Even you stated you know what shoes and what proportion wears what in your office.

Old 11-16-2017, 08:44 AM

45,420 posts, read 60,608,674 times
I always look when a guy is wearing a suit. One way to take the measure of someone.

Old 11-16-2017, 09:26 AM

2,632 posts, read 4,052,419 times
I must be tired. I originally read "I got my first shoe line." I was going to say good for you! But after reading the thread, I still think that's great, because I've never had my shoes shined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty