Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 11:25 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,019,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
Due to a down turn in our finances a number of years ago I ended up having to shop at thrift stores, ie:goodwill and a few others for clothing. At first I hated it but it was necessary. I have to say once I got used to it it was kind of enjoyable. I ended up with some of my more favorite clothes from there. A larger variety to choose from. Purchased some shirts I would normally not consider at a department store because "at first glance" not my style. I was even given a $150 gift card for Macy's when I needed to buy a dress to attend a wedding and couldn't find anything I liked. I ended up going to a thrift store and found something I really liked for under $20. It seemed so well made I looked up the name on Google and was some high priced designer only sold at high end boutiques.

I know everybody likes a bargain but thrift stores? would have never imagined myself shopping for clothes in one before. Some are better than others. Anyone else have better luck with thrift stores over department stores.

I guess I have caviar taste on a kraft mac and cheese budget.

I used to buy all my work /0ffice attire at thrift stores and no one could tell at all . I use salvation army and a local thrift store that operates and gives the money to the local children's cancer ward . I love .99 cent t shirts that came from seaside resorts etc and I have found some mighty nice tops and dresses there for under 3.00 . I found a 350.00 coffee table ( know good furniture names really well ) for 15.00 and it was a good thing because our last coffee table from lanes fell apart after 25 yrs of loyal service . I love when I can go clothes shopping and get a whole wardrobe for 40.00 .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 11:42 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,454,305 times
Old Navy has 40% off ending today. I bought $50 and got $30 ON cash good on my next $50 purchase but the purchase does have to be made in a short time frame. I'll get some new jeans with it.

Clothes For Women, Men, Kids and Baby | Free Shipping on $50 | Old Navy

Old 11-21-2017, 12:06 PM

30,707 posts, read 79,590,461 times
Meijers thrifty Acres (the local everything store chain - like Walmart, only better) has huge sales on seasonal clothing when they change over to the next season. Eventually it gets to 75% off, but is pretty picked over by then. Still if you can get a pair of jeans for $8, it is hard to go wrong.

Old 11-21-2017, 12:15 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,147,660 times
Quote:
Due to a down turn in our finances a number of years ago I ended up having to shop at thrift stores, ie:goodwill and a few others for clothing. At first I hated it but it was necessary. I have to say once I got used to it it was kind of enjoyable. I ended up with some of my more favorite clothes from there. A larger variety to choose from. Purchased some shirts I would normally not consider at a department store because "at first glance" not my style. I was even given a $150 gift card for Macy's when I needed to buy a dress to attend a wedding and couldn't find anything I liked. I ended up going to a thrift store and found something I really liked for under $20. It seemed so well made I looked up the name on Google and was some high priced designer only sold at high end boutiques.

I know everybody likes a bargain but thrift stores? would have never imagined myself shopping for clothes in one before. Some are better than others. Anyone else have better luck with thrift stores over department stores.

I shop for jeans at thrift stores all the time. I used to find dress pants and blazers when I was still working too.

Our local goodwill has a color tag sale for a dollar, changing colors daily. I have at times found 2-3 pairs of jeans, nice ones....for a buck a piece. Can't get better than that for me.

When I'm shopping for new I hit our local Kohl's....the sales racks are full of awesome deals year round.

And, I just got 3 simple V-neck t-shirts in 3 different colors, which I wear under my sweaters or denim shirts....for 2.00 each at Walmart.

Our Old Navy has some nice deals too.

I probably splurge about once a year at Kohl's and usually wind up spending 50.00 on about 300.00 worth of clothes.

Old 11-22-2017, 04:59 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,263,657 times
Quote:

When I was heavy I could never find anything. Now, I love them. I will say that if you are on the heavier side, it will be difficult to find anything that you like.

Old 11-22-2017, 07:09 AM

7,320 posts, read 12,276,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
When I was heavy I could never find anything. Now, I love them. I will say that if you are on the heavier side, it will be difficult to find anything that you like.
I am a size XXL, and it is true that some brands do run small. This is especially true with premium designer brands. Apparently IZOD has just the right fit for me in a size XXL. Nautica also has a good fit as well.

Old 11-22-2017, 07:26 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,223,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I am a size XXL, and it is true that some brands do run small. This is especially true with premium designer brands. Apparently IZOD has just the right fit for me in a size XXL. Nautica also has a good fit as well.
IZOD is not a premium designer brand.

Old 11-22-2017, 07:32 AM

7,320 posts, read 12,276,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
IZOD is not a premium brand.
Yes, I know. I was stating that premium designer brands typically run small on me. Nautica isn't a premium designer brand either; they seem to straddle the line between mid-range and high-end, being priced above mid-range brands such as IZOD and Chaps but below premium designer brands such as Polo Ralph Lauren, Tommy Hilfiger, and Calvin Klein.

Old 11-22-2017, 08:00 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,334,679 times
Clothing prices have dropped considerably over the past two decades, as more is outsourced to overseas factories. It's not unusual to get brand new jeans for $10 or a new dress for $20, which is what these items cost in the 1960s. In some ways, it's not really a good thing at all, as far as what it means for jobs and our economy. A lot of labor done overseas is exploitive, children are making these clothes, as well as adults who are paid next to nothing. That's why the clothing is so cheap. I find it far more ethical to purchase second hand and go to thrift stores.

Old 11-22-2017, 03:29 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,041,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
IZOD does have a Fall line of polo shirts, typically in darker or more neutral colors than the Spring line. One of my Fall Advantage Polos is a dark brownish purple color known as Fig.
I love some of the muddy colors I see these days. I like the muddy greens more than the browns, though. I hope you enjoy your new shirt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty