Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 08:55 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,253,592 times

Advertisements

I got a few things at the banana republic factory outlet store. I love their clothes. I got a turtleneck sweater that I love and it fit me perfect. I washed it, DID NOT put it in the dryer, I hung it up to dry. and I put it on and it had shrunk! I am so sad about this lol. mostly because I have a difficult time finding things I like to begin with and I finally found something that I really liked and now it's un-wearable. AND I spent a lot of money on it.

has anyone else experienced this? is there a way to prevent this from happening? should I just buy 1 size up from there? I'm hesitant now to keep the other sweaters I got from there. I assume they will shrink as well.

thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2017, 08:58 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
It has happened to me and I haven't figured out how to solve. Generally wash in cold water as much as possible. That helps.

Old 12-14-2017, 09:04 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
this is why I choose thrift stores over retail stores because I'm not so upset at spending like 4.00 for a sweater that would have cost 60 + new . Yep you OP are better off at a thrift store . I cannot tell you how many things I have purchased and still have some 5 yrs later and only paid a dollar and fifty cents for . I also like garage sales as well for that very reason as well .

Old 12-14-2017, 09:06 AM

876 posts, read 812,623 times
If the sweater is cotton, you may be able to stretch it back out. Just wash it again, and carefully stretch out the length and width and sleeves and let it air dry. I do this every time my sweaters get washed so as not to have to do a separate cold wash load.

If it was wool or a wool blend, the chances of stretching it back out aren't good. It depends on the weave and quality of the wool, and if the water was just warm or hot hot.

Last edited by A1eutian; 12-14-2017 at 09:16 AM..

Old 12-14-2017, 09:22 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
I got a few things at the banana republic factory outlet store. I love their clothes. I got a turtleneck sweater that I love and it fit me perfect. I washed it, DID NOT put it in the dryer, I hung it up to dry. and I put it on and it had shrunk! I am so sad about this lol. mostly because I have a difficult time finding things I like to begin with and I finally found something that I really liked and now it's un-wearable. AND I spent a lot of money on it.

has anyone else experienced this? is there a way to prevent this from happening? should I just buy 1 size up from there? I'm hesitant now to keep the other sweaters I got from there. I assume they will shrink as well.

thoughts?
What were the washing instructions on the tag--was it hand wash/dry clean only?

Old 12-14-2017, 09:48 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
What were the washing instructions on the tag--was it hand wash/dry clean only?
This!!! If you followed label instructions on care and it shrunk, BRING IT BACK for refund

Old 12-14-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1eutian View Post
If the sweater is cotton, you may be able to stretch it back out. Just wash it again, and carefully stretch out the length and width and sleeves and let it air dry. I do this every time my sweaters get washed so as not to have to do a separate cold wash load.

If it was wool or a wool blend, the chances of stretching it back out aren't good. It depends on the weave and quality of the wool, and if the water was just warm or hot hot.
If it was wool or wool blend chances are it would need to be dry cleaned not washed

Old 12-14-2017, 09:58 AM

Clothing can be weird, you always need to check the care label.
I just ordered some really nice long tops from Nordstrom to my surprise the material is 100% polyester yet the care label says DRY clean only, I was under the impression polyester did not shrink

Old 12-14-2017, 10:18 AM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
some clothing manufacturers specify dry cleaning for all their clothes, even those that can be machine washed.

I suspect they do this to
1) make the consumer think they are better-quality clothes than they really are,
2) save the nuisance of making sure the right label gets into a garment, and
3) give them an out if something falls apart--"oh, you didn't dry clean this polyester garment? Then it's YOUR fault the seams fell out."

I hand or machine wash a lot of items that say dry clean only. Usually it works out OK, but once I machine washed a chenille throw and it completely fell apart into thread and fuzz. It did make the prettiest dryer lint...

Old 12-14-2017, 10:24 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,253,592 times
it was machine washable. I washed it in cold water and let it air dry.

do you guys really think I could bring it back for a refund or exchange?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty