Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 09:14 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,212,862 times

Advertisements

I live in Florida.....when it's 90+ outside with a heat index over 100....you will find me in shorts or capris unless I'm at church on Sunday morning....then it's a nice lightweight dress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 09:24 PM

23,018 posts, read 34,387,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post
I live in Florida.....when it's 90+ outside with a heat index over 100....you will find me in shorts or capris unless I'm at church on Sunday morning....then it's a nice lightweight dress.
I live in Houston so I am right there with you! I am 53 and I wear capris and shorts, just not too short. I could less what Oprah says about anything.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:43 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
Minis can look good at any age with the right shoes, etc. but never 'ho' short, on any age. Right at the knee is the most flattering, I think. As for capris, they're not so great on anyone, unless they'e workout type pants.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:15 PM

859 posts, read 3,322,182 times
I think ANYONE can wear capris as long as they pick a style that is right for their body.

Even if someone is heavy or getting a little older...whatever their concern may be...capris are great because they cover enough but still give you a little skin. Definately not the same as wearing booty shorts or something.

Wear your capris at 40...wear em at 90 : )

Old 03-21-2008, 10:21 PM

7,065 posts, read 3,106,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabumom07 View Post
OK- Summer is coming and I will be the big 40 this July. Just heard one of Oprah's fashion Nazis outlawed capri style pants for those over 40 and Staci and Clinton already have their "no mini- skirts past 35" law. Now, ladies, my busom is past its glory, by 26" waist is now low 30 something, but when I work out, my legs are truly nice. At least from the mid thigh down. Why must I make sure my skirts come down to the knees instead of a little higher,and why cant I wear my cute Ralph Lauren trouser or my Old Navy cargo style Capris this Summer? I am a tasteful, relatively fit gal ? What gives? Are the fashionistas afraid that I will don a stonewashed micro mini or dowdy Capris that look like polyester cruisewear? Why can't they trust women to assess their own figures and tastes and make good choices instead of issuing these mandates? Of course I will still be wearing what I think works for me. What do the rest of you think?
I say go for it. Don't let these so called celebrity fashion experts tell you what you should and shouldn't wear. Half the time they don't listen to themselves. I swear I don't know how many times I have seen Stacey London wearing a well above the knee skirt or dress. Does she forget she is 40?

Old 03-22-2008, 01:13 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,902,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMissSunshine View Post
I think ANYONE can wear capris as long as they pick a style that is right for their body.

Even if someone is heavy or getting a little older...whatever their concern may be...capris are great because they cover enough but still give you a little skin. Definately not the same as wearing booty shorts or something.

Wear your capris at 40...wear em at 90 : )
Very well said! I'm 44, and I wear a lot of capris in the spring and fall. I'm only 5'2". My legs are as thin now as they were 20 years ago, they are the only thing on me that hasn't aged or gained weight. I have the apple shape, so my legs don't seem to gain any weight, it's in my middle. Why in the world would I want to cover my legs up and swelter in the heat? Maybe Oprah just doesn't have the figure to pull capris off, but I do. LOL, sorry, but I couldn't resist that little dig, and I'm only kidding! I just think it's silly that she had someone on her show saying capris were wrong for women over 40, no matter what their weight or body-type. There really isn't much skin showing with capris, it's not like a bikini, for God's sake. It's only ankle and a bit of calf. *gasp*

Old 03-22-2008, 06:43 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,274,687 times
I guess if I were tall and thin I could get away with almost anything...I am average, 5'5 and ok about 30 lbs overweight, due to illness and trying to lose it...anyway, i wear capris and short sleeve button up cottony shirts when its warm, which is 8 months a year here. If I wear stretchy t shirts I look hideous, and my hips are not as small as I would like so I like the cotton shirts, they don't cling. Sometimes if I am throwing all cares to the wind, I wear a tank under the shirt and leave it open like a jacket.

I don't want to look matronly at my age, but then I am not exactly a kid...I want to be comfortable and no one has ever said anything about how hideous i look in my clothes

I really don't know what else I would wear when it's hot. dresses? what kind of dresses? I guess I am not a dress girl.

I am always neat and clean, though

Old 03-22-2008, 07:00 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,344,251 times
I think it's ridiculous that these dumba**es think they are good enough to tell people what they need to and not need to wear.
Check out that commercial on Stacy London where she's making fun of the girl wearing the stretch sweater. She doesn't look all that great herself and she's trying to dictate to other people what to wear.
I say if you feel good in capris and short skirts, wear them. Don't let some idiot dictate how you should dress.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:04 PM

562 posts, read 2,403,633 times
I believe the women of America feel cute and happy in their capri pants. I am not sure what else we would be expected to wear, Dogmom, but it seems loud and clear that most of us think Capris are a nice alternative to shorts.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:08 PM

355 posts, read 990,695 times
I am 50 and I wear capris and bermuda shorts. I don't, however, wear short skirts or short shorts. I take care of myself and stay in shape but there are some clothes that would look silly on a woman my age. I'm not going to wear trendy clothes that my 26 yr. old daughter would. I believe in dressing age appropriate. And that doesn't mean dowdy or matronly.....God forbid!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty