Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 09:16 AM

242 posts, read 182,494 times

Advertisements

ETA: There will always be men who don't care and just go after the looks, of course. But those are generally the men who have nothing to offer themselves. I guess I was under the assumption that we weren't talking about the lowest common denominator, because seriously, who wants any of that?

Old 01-05-2018, 09:25 AM

4,160 posts, read 2,526,342 times
It depends upon the reason for sitting that way. One is for comfort, or as part of an actual function as in sports, or something similar.

The other reason has the focus on their crotch, and the relative shock value as in "I'm open for business. Any takers?".

Posing suggestively has nothing whatsoever to do with empowerment for women. But has everything to do with attracting a male since they are very visual. But that attraction can be fleeting if that is all it's based on.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:28 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,591,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesickgirl View Post
ETA: There will always be men who don't care and just go after the looks, of course. But those are generally the men who have nothing to offer themselves. I guess I was under the assumption that we weren't talking about the lowest common denominator, because seriously, who wants any of that?
It's clear that you make a LOT of assumptions

But seriously ... A man doesn't have to be the lowest common denominator to think this way. And a woman doesn't have to have low self-esteem to recognize it. In fact you have to have a strong sense of self worth to work against this phenomenon.

For real ... Why do you think sexism, even in its most subtle variations, still exists? Why do you think powerful women are still negged for their appearance, despite their achievements?

When you are talking about what many men truly VALUE in women, what they would require if they knew no penalty existed for saying so, they would surprise themselves with the truths they certainly won't dare admit to the quality women in their lives.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:33 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,786,167 times
Tempest in a tea cup. That's what this is.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
It's clear that you make a LOT of assumptions

But seriously ... A man doesn't have to be the lowest common denominator to think this way. And a woman doesn't have to have low self-esteem to recognize it. In fact you have to have a strong sense of self worth to work against this phenomenon.

For real ... Why do you think sexism, even in its most subtle variations, still exists? When you are talking about what many men truly VALUE in women, what they would require if they knew no penalty existed, they would surprise themselves with the truths they certainly won't dare admit to the quality women in their lives.

I've been sexually harrassed more than I can count. But just like I don't judge someone's heritage by their worst examples, I try not to judge all men by their worst examples. I have never been harrassed by a man I would be in any way interested in, or look twice at. The men I have been interested in and vice versa have never harrassed me. It's just bad behavior and not an innate trait to act like that. I blame the parents in that situation.

You seem to not give men much credit. Are you married? Do you have kids? If you are not, then of course you are exposed to the lowest example of how men are wired to be. By your age though, you could be decades into a long term relationship with a great man, and you'd probably have a different POV. Men are visual. Many men also don't put a whole lot of stock into fleeting visual pleasure or continually seek it out, because they can have that at home plus more.

I enjoy a good looking man just like any other woman. But I'm not going to be drooling all over the place because I have all the sex I want with my good looking husband with whom we share our lives that goes way beyond the awesome sex. Same goes for him. I'm sure he enjoys good looking ladies but it's not a thing because I'm the most beautiful to him. When you are in love with someone, all the crotches in the world don't matter because every one is more of less the same anyhow. When you are unable to form a lasting relationship for whatever reason, then all you have is crotch and boobs as a desperate attempt to produce some sort of mating call. Men with nothing to offer go for these easy targets. Many men have a lot to offer, and usually these men are in long term relationships because they fell in love with a woman who was smart enough not to f it up with her insecurities.

Last edited by homesickgirl; 01-05-2018 at 09:44 AM..

Old 01-05-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
You seem to not give men much credit.
I give men plenty of credit. I've said that already. Even though you're "somewhat" a feminist, you came here twitching about crotch shots you said were "aimed at men," so I figured you knew this already ... about the way many men view women and what they TRULY consider valuable that a woman has to offer. Apparently not.

Why else would you say you think it's trashy?

Man, that last paragraph you wrote sure does assign a LOT to those poor IG models LOL.

I have learned a few things along the way about people's true nature. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It's not shocking. It's just reality.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
I give men plenty of credit. I've said that already. Even though you're "somewhat" a feminist, you came here twitching about crotch shots you said were "aimed at men," so I figured you knew this already ... about the way many men view women and what they TRULY consider valuable that a woman has to offer. Apparently not.

Why else would you say you think it's trashy?

Man, that last paragraph you wrote sure does assign a LOT to those poor IG models LOL.

I have learned a few things along the way about people's true nature. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It's not shocking. It's just reality.

I'm not sure I follow the bolded. Maybe I just feel bad for the desperate "Look at me!" of people to each other. It's like everyone is so lonely.

No twitching here. I simply said I don't get it and it seems tacky to me. (Or trashy, whichever word I used).

One other point, the poses when used as advertising are advertising to other WOMEN. Because most guys aren't buying women's bathing suits or what have you. So. It's a few men in power saying, "This is how we want you to look, in turn, women will start thinking that is how THEY should look, and we will watch it all happen while STILL controlling the puppet strings. Stupid women". I see it, I know many people in advertising who admit to it, and that's why I consider myself a feminist.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:55 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,351,073 times
It's just a fad. It'll all go away soon enough.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure I follow the bolded.
Meaning the line about "unable to form a lasting relationship." We really don't know anything about people from a photo.

Quote:
Maybe I just feel bad for the desperate "Look at me!" of people to each other. It's like everyone is so lonely.
The desperation is the saddest part. I like that quote:

"If you live for people's acceptance, you'll die by their rejection." It's the moral of social media these days.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:57 AM

34,119 posts, read 18,368,689 times
Quote:
The desperation is the saddest part. I like that quote:

"If you live for people's acceptance, you'll die by their rejection." It's the moral of social media these days.
True wisdom. Thanks for posting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty