Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 09:51 PM

5,324 posts, read 6,100,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I think you are being very wise. You said earlier that looks matter, and you are right - they do. I think most people want to feel physically attracted to their mate. The cool thing is, not everyone likes the same thing.

Truth? I have never liked my nose, either. I still don't think it's what most people would call pretty. But...I don't think my nose alone has ever kept me from having a relationship. If it has, well...I guess I dodged a bullet!

I don't think there is anything wrong with plastic surgery, but I do think that it is something one does for oneself, and not to win the approval of others, or to achieve perfection. If that's the goal, it's one that can never be reached, if for no other reason than the fact that everyone has a different standard of beauty.

You sound like a good person. That matters, no matter how much pop culture may tell you it does not.
Thanks..you seem to be the only non shallow one here who doesn't think I should do it lol..shows you where we are as a society..pretty sad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2018, 10:24 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,586,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
Thanks..you seem to be the only non shallow one here who doesn't think I should do it lol..shows you where we are as a society..pretty sad
I don't think you should do it, but I don't necessarily think you should not do it. I think you should make the decision for the right reasons, and I don't think this idea that a new nose would be a ticket to love and acceptance is a very good reason. I have heard about and read about people who got "work" done, and some loved it. Others did not. I think it is all about your expectations.

I guess what I really mean is this: if you got the surgery to get more dates, and that didn't work, what then? My guess is that you would feel worse than you do now.

Please, please, please learn to love yourself a little just as you are. It's going to be hard for others to do it if you don't do it first.

Old 02-06-2018, 10:29 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,586,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
You are literally throwing out a chance to be more attractive. Something you have been plotzing about for years.

You sound EXACTLY like the overweight woman who refuses to even try to lose weight because she is insulted by the idea that a man might find a skinnier version of her more attractive.
Bull. Most people who are overweight do not require surgery. Also, being fat is unhealthy, and last time I checked, having a less than perfect nose is not.

I've heard of apples and oranges before, but this is apples and sushi.

Old 02-06-2018, 10:31 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,129,439 times
Quote:
Not necessarily, I went back and reread some of these posts and all people were doing was trying to encourage you to go ahead with what you originally said you wanted. Calling everyone shallow really isn't fair.

I've had friends who have had nose jobs or boob jobs and they are good people who just needed an extra confidence boost. I don't judge them or consider them shallow. Likewise, if you're now against the idea, that's up to you, I'm not judging you either way.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:26 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Not necessarily, I went back and reread some of these posts and all people were doing was trying to encourage you to go ahead with what you originally said you wanted. Calling everyone shallow really isn't fair.
Yep. He started the thread with a declaration ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
The level of insecurity I see here is not going to be addressed so easily. What happens if he gets that perfect new nose, and it's not the life-changing event he is hoping for?
.... which is why some plastic surgeons suggest counseling before certain procedures.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:59 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,530,624 times
You should only get a nose job if it is what you want -- not with the expectation that it will change your life.

I know lots of women who have had nose jobs. In all cases it was to change a nose that didn't seem fit the rest of their face -- delicate features with grandfather's nose.

The men I know wouldn't give their nose shape a second thought.

Old 02-07-2018, 01:06 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
I have a bump on my nose that I got b/c I fell down the stairs when I was 3.

I think I am attractive so I don't bother with the nose job but there have been men in the past who have said something to me about it, not that I was ugly (I'm not) but that they didn't like it.

If I felt the bump really hindered my looks, I'd get a nose job, but I don't feel like it does and I have no breathing problems so I feel like it doesn't make sense to spend all that $$ (insurance doesn't cover) to get a nose that maybe I won't like.

My nose is me and I have had the bump since I was 3... I am 36 now... it's just part of who I am

Old 02-08-2018, 01:18 AM

3,070 posts, read 1,681,572 times
Quote:
I've been thinking about it for years and this huge nose I have has bothered me so much that I'm gonna go through with it to try to expand my dating pool or in my case get an actual date lol.
If you really want to do this for yourself, then DO IT! Absolutely do it! As long as the new look pleases yourself, and you do not expect it to create miracle changes in your life, then you will never look back with regret.

I had surgery of a different sort back in the 80's when the procedure was still fairly new, and if I had to do it all over again I would do it in a heartbeat. Best thing I ever did for myself.

People in their lifetimes spend thousands of dollars at hair salons and manicures and I don't see where that is any different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty