Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 10:25 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
An adult wearing a polo looks funny as hell, like dressing up as an 8 year old kid, lol.
Odd comment, imo.
Are we talking golf shirts?
I'm female, work in business casual and have to be able to climb on the roof or in a crawlspace if necessary. I love polo shirts! Men's hold up better imo. I try to get lighter shades. Men's small fits fine. They're great under a sweater, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 10:38 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,896,747 times
I only have one polo shirt that I have to wear when corporate comes to visit.

They did have the choice of the women's style with the curved cut & interlock fabric or the men's pique fabric.

I just went with the men's style since it fits just fine and the only colors they had for the women's one was white, pink, or light tan. Ever try to keep white/pink/light tan clean in a shop environment???

LOL

Anyhow, I liked the dark blue polo better if I gotta wear a polo.

Old 01-27-2018, 10:42 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I never wear polos. I did for 5 seconds in college, but found them to be unflattering.

Since then the only time I have worn them was when forced to as a uniform - once when I worked in retail and later when that was the tradeshow outfit for my company.
For women , yes, I can agree. But for men it's nice.

Old 01-28-2018, 12:02 AM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
Well, I haven't worn a polo shirt in about 30 years, but I do have a background in fashion and textiles.

Men's clothing in general is made of heavier, stiffer materials; women's wear is made of softer, lighter fabrics that better conform to the body.

Men's clothing is usually made to last longer, too--I assume because men demand that their clothes last longer. Women's clothing is considered disposable because it will be out of fashion in a few months. I personally prefer clothes that last; I buy what I like, and don't replace it just because it's no longer in style.

Well, I guess some things do get really dated looking before they're completely worn out, like that shirt with the ginormous collar...

Old 01-28-2018, 03:59 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,586,521 times
I don't have a strong feeling about polo shirts, one way or the other. They are a convenient, and, in most "business casual" offices, an acceptable, if forgettable, item of clothing. I haven't considered them a fashion statement () since the 80s. I can completely understand why people who have been required to wear them as part of a uniform hate them. Other than that, they are about as "whatever" as you can get.

I'm not sure why there is a difference between men's and women's polos, in terms of interlock vs. pique. I do think that pique looks a bit more dated, unless one is on a tennis court or golf course. It is also not as comfortable against the skin.

Old 01-28-2018, 08:59 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I never wear polos. I did for 5 seconds in college, but found them to be unflattering.

Since then the only time I have worn them was when forced to as a uniform - once when I worked in retail and later when that was the tradeshow outfit for my company.
In college? With popped collar and an Oxford shirt over it.

40 years later, I still wear polo shirts, Nantucket reds, and classic brown leather Top Siders with no socks in the summer. I sail. It’s the uniform. “Pathetically Yacht Club”.

The popped collar went away decades ago.

Old 01-28-2018, 09:43 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,336,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Look - I don't even KNOW what you are talking about. Seriously.

Wth is "pique" "interlock" "hybrid" or "performance"????

Polo shirts are good on men. I own many myself. I have NO IDEA if they are performance or pique.
Oh, and yes, I have a salmon colored one, which may count as pink.

I think they are generally not flattering on women -IMHO.
Pique is the traditional mesh knit for polo shirts.

Interlock is a softer cotton knit; essentially a double jersey knit.

Performance polos typically contain polyester and use moisture-wicking fabric and have sun protection. These are the typical golf and athletic polo shirts.

Hybrid polo shirts are a hybrid between a pique and a performance polo, which have properties of a performance polo but maintain the look of a pique polo. These often use a cotton/polyester blend.

Old 01-28-2018, 09:44 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffypoopoo View Post
lol, what's with all the hate? what's wrong with wearing a polo?
What's wrong with the name fluffypoopoo or Pink Jazz? Nothing, if it captures your personality.

Otherwise, meh.

You love polos, wear polos.

I do have a pink button-down shirt, but no polos.

Old 01-28-2018, 09:47 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
Linksoul makes exceptional clothing. Many of their shirts are made from high tech fabrics but still drape beautifully and feel awesome. Their colors are muted perhaps due to a grounded, natural philosophy; hence, photos of shirts that are not artificially stretched to look perfect.
I literally intentionally choose shirts that DON'T drape at all. If I wanted to wear a toga, I would.

Old 01-28-2018, 10:28 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,336,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
What's wrong with the name fluffypoopoo or Pink Jazz? Nothing, if it captures your personality.

Otherwise, meh.

You love polos, wear polos.

I do have a pink button-down shirt, but no polos.
I have several pink button-downs as well, mostly in lighter shades of pink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty