Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 09:01 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,875,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Totally calling BS on this. There is no way that there are short sleeved shirts that are sized by sleeve length. Do you not see the irony in this???
Oops! I was thinking "long-sleeve shirts" when I typed "short sleeve" and "sleeve length". Serves me right for posting on Saturday morning without finishing my coffee first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
No. Short sleeve dress shirts are a definite no go for any man. They are tacky, dorky, and project an image of weakness. Has anyone ever looked good in a short sleeve dress shirt?
"Weakness" is right; they do project that image somewhat. But what exactly makes a short-sleeve dress shirt look "weak"? Is it the juxtaposition of bare arms and a supposedly formal look? Knowledgeable minds, share your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 09:20 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
A contradiction in terms, unless you want to look like Andy Sipowicz.

Old 01-27-2018, 09:29 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,875,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
This may be a stupid question, but what is a casual dress shirt?
It's hard to explain in text, because they do look similar. But the difference is there. So here are some visual examples.

Casual dress shirt: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....NL._UX342_.jpg

Formal dress shirt: http://www.dolchefashion.com/wp-cont...t-cgchsei-.jpg

Also, on casual dress shirts, the fabric may look similar to flannel or velvet, or may actually be those fabrics. On the other hand, formal dress shirts are 100% cotton or a mix of cotton and polyester, and the fabric always looks smooth.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 01-27-2018 at 09:44 PM..

Old 01-28-2018, 05:11 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,894,623 times
"Short sleeved dress shirt" is an oxymoron.

If it's short sleeved, it's not a dress shirt.

Old 01-28-2018, 05:12 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,894,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
They exist, apparently. They look just like long-sleeve dress shirts, their collars can accommodate a tie, but the sleeves are T-shirt-length. And they're sized by collar circumference and sleeve length. I'm sure there are people who look decent in them, but not me. At the same time, I've worn casual long-sleeve dress shirts many times. I like how I look in them, and no one said anything negative, either.
Of course they exist. How do Millennials not know this?

Just because they can accommodate a tie doesn't make them a "dress shirt".

That makes them a work shirt as one example. Or a shirt you want to hide under a jacket. Or a shirt that requires much less ironing.

Especially in IT.

I assume the reason is the dress code/mores/culture/job title calls for a tie or a buttoned shirt with a collar but the individuals don't want to feel constricted or hot with a full tight sleeve. Not to mention you can attend a meeting with other people in suits by throwing on a jacket and nobody knows you're in short sleeves unless they look closely at your cuff.

Also in more physically active jobs like police officer, mail carrier, or even a technician like HVAC where it's more of a uniform without a tie. LIKE IN FLORIDA.

Quote:
It's hard to explain in text, because they do look similar. But the difference is there. So here are some visual examples.

Casual dress shirt: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....NL._UX342_.jpg

Formal dress shirt: http://www.dolchefashion.com/wp-cont...t-cgchsei-.jpg

Also, on casual dress shirts, the fabric may look similar to flannel or velvet, or may actually be those fabrics. On the other hand, formal dress shirts are 100% cotton or a mix of cotton and polyester, and the fabric always looks smooth.
Huh?

Where in the world do people wear velvet shirts?

And nobody would mistake a flannel shirt for a "dress shirt".

There's no difference between the blue shirt or the white shirt except the white shirt seems to have a fitted dart fit.

Maybe there's some cultural or ESL differences going on here since that white shirt site is for Bangladesh. Maybe you're putting more weight on the term "dress shirt" than is customary.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 01-28-2018 at 05:40 AM..

Old 01-28-2018, 05:43 AM

4,004 posts, read 2,082,195 times
I don't think short sleeve dress shirts look dorky. Perhaps the person wearing it looks dorky, and has the convenience of blaming the shirt. Clothing can make the man, but only to a point. More often than not, the man makes the clothing. If your environment somehow requires a tie but allow short sleeves, try buffing up the biceps a bit before the warmer months come.

Polo shirts are not dressy, but good enough in a casual environment that allows chinos and doesn't require a tie. If a tie is a requirement, then I agree with those that said to get the long sleeve. To wear a tie with a polo would definitely look dorky.

Hawaiian shirts are not dressy either. In an environment that doesn't require a tie, but wants dressier than chinos and loafers there are other options. A well made camp shirt, or Havana shirt, keeping within the corporate solid color range of white, black and navy with a straight vented hem. It is rare for someone to tuck in a polo and not look dorky, so other shirts that are nicer and you don't tuck in should work to. Andy Sipowicz would look better if the shirt wasn't tucked in, or possibly if the slacks were flat front (as opposed to pleated) and lower rise. Not everyone has a long torso.

Last edited by ComeCloser; 01-28-2018 at 05:55 AM..

Old 01-28-2018, 05:49 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,118,841 times
Quote:
They exist, apparently. They look just like long-sleeve dress shirts, their collars can accommodate a tie, but the sleeves are T-shirt-length. And they're sized by collar circumference and sleeve length. I'm sure there are people who look decent in them, but not me. At the same time, I've worn casual long-sleeve dress shirts many times. I like how I look in them, and no one said anything negative, either.
They aren't dress shirts if they are short-sleeved. Marshall's has many shirt styles mixed together for the fashion clueless.

Old 01-28-2018, 06:22 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,974,080 times
I'm sure glad I do not have (and never will have) those types of problems.
I do not own any neckties. (unless you want to count Western style bolo ties)
I do not own any real "dress" shirts.
I do not own any "formal wear".
When I retired, I quit shaving.
Life is good. and simple.

Old 01-28-2018, 06:46 AM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Quote:
They exist, apparently. They look just like long-sleeve dress shirts, their collars can accommodate a tie, but the sleeves are T-shirt-length. And they're sized by collar circumference and sleeve length. I'm sure there are people who look decent in them, but not me.
I know an accountant that thinks they make him look good (hint they don't).

To me short sleeve dress shirts are like mullets, business in the front, party on the sides!

Old 01-28-2018, 07:25 AM

2,788 posts, read 7,450,167 times
They're just fine on their own, but never wear one with a tie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty