Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 06:03 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,299,568 times

Advertisements

I was never a fan of leggings but since I've lost quite a bit of weight after my surgeries and none of my pants fit I have bought a few pair so I have something to wear. They are not sheer and if I wear them out of the house I wear a longer top. If I'm just staying home then it's a tank top or camisole.

Like someone already mentioned if you're wearing slim on the bottom, then the top shouldn't be and vice versa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2018, 07:38 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,074,625 times
Leggings and Tights are two different things. Leggings should never be sheer, if they are you have a wrong size or poor quality. Tights will be sheer around the butt, but are only to be worn with dresses/skirts.

I don't see much difference between a person in leggings and a person in tight jeans. I have jeans that I feel show off my figure more than most of my leggings. And I've seen camel toes and butt cracks of people in jeans plenty of times. Fit is important.

This is how I, and most people I know, wear leggings

Old 01-29-2018, 07:40 AM

731 posts, read 678,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
You should wear what makes you most comfortable (and won't get you arrested) :-)

Most women I see wearing leggings wear tops that stop above the butt and crotch. It is perfectly normal.

If having an "exposed" butt or camel toe makes you uncomfortable, then obviously, wear a longer top. If it doesn't bother you, don't worry what others think.

Don't let shame over what other's may think be your guideline, not just for leggings, but for life.
Its not what we think. Its what men think when the "camel toe" and buttocks are publically displayed. Its like an advertisement for a....you know. Don't do it.

Old 01-29-2018, 07:58 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Gee - yet ANOTHER "fashion police" post about leggings.... this topic just doesn't die, it seems.

I don't know why so many care about "proper top length" for leggings and other such stuff. People wear what they like and are comfortable. Do I like all of it? No, of course not, but it is not for me to say or publicly judge others for their clothing choices.

For what it's worth, I like thick leggings, and usually only wear them for working out, or going to dance or band practice and things of that nature. Most of them have patterns and do not "reveal" anything except my shape. I do like to cover my stomach area. However I will say that I don't wear regular jeans, I wear "jeggings" which fit and reveal just like leggings, so I don't see much difference, really.

Old 01-29-2018, 08:06 AM

2,531 posts, read 3,096,958 times
Die-hard leggings lover, here.
Leggings are *the* thing to wear for recreational ice skating.
I wear mine with mid-thigh or longer tunic sweaters. I agree with the poster who said, you should be able to take them off and still be considered decently dressed (if a little chilly.)
I’ll wear leggings instead of tights under dresses in the winter...cozy!

Old 01-29-2018, 09:55 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,144,961 times
The definition of leggings is the problem. They run the gamut of being tights pants (almost like skinny jeans) to being ridiculously as sheer as pantyhose. The sheerer the leggings the more a long top is needed to cover "essentials". It amazes me to see women running around with pantyhose-like revealing leggings with a short top. This look is rarely flattering.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:01 AM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Tess View Post
I think it depends on the age of the wearer. At 57 I like to have my bum covered, but for fit 20 somethings I say go for it (I am referring to leggings such as exercise tights that have some substance to them, not leggings that look like tights).

I don't think age - or fitness - have anything to do with it. Leggings were not designed to replace pants.

When I see a skinny 20 something in leggings and a midriff baring top, I think that she needs to get some real clothes on. Wear that at the gym. Or while cleaning your house. But not at the supermarket.

I agree with the poster who said that leggings should be worn so that if they were removed, the person would still be fully clothed.

Leggings are nothing more than tights without foot coverings. Which hardly makes them pants. They are like somewhat thinker opaque panty hose. Nothing more.

Jeggings are another matter.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:49 AM

1,796 posts, read 2,227,120 times
Unless you're four years old and on skis at a ski resort, you need a long sweater dress or something similar when wearing leggings.
Remember 15-20 years ago when guys were wearing bicycle shorts to the mall? Yeah, it's like that.
And the picture a few posts earlier, paired with the cute boots? That's a good example of how to do it.

Old 01-29-2018, 11:20 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
The photo above has leggings paired with a short shirt (though a long cardigan, this providing coverage in the back), though. Which is something multiple posters have professed to have a problem with.

Old 01-29-2018, 11:21 AM

1,095 posts, read 1,055,110 times
"Leggings" are like wearing panty hose and nothing else!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty