Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 10:53 AM

19,603 posts, read 12,206,783 times

Advertisements

Those were the styles at the time, so it is fine. It's not like men cared or complained about women's fashion like they do now. Women also were not embarrassed about aging and maturity was an aspiration. At least wearing an apron kept their clothes clean, unlike now when people walk around in wrinkled t shirts and sweaty yoga pants. That "older" look was more dignified, thus not a bad thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2018, 11:14 AM

2,288 posts, read 1,431,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

It makes me mad, because I am still attractive at 55 and still in good shape. I'm not ready for "Mom" jeans but I don't want to dress like a 20 year old ...
Mom jeans are in with the under 21 crowd, so get up on those mom jeans! They're cool again.

Old 02-03-2018, 11:22 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,597,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeMargeSentMe View Post
Mom jeans are in with the under 21 crowd, so get up on those mom jeans! They're cool again.
The old adage, if you wore it the first time it was in style, don't wear it the second time. If you're around until it cycles back for a third go, then all bets are off

Old 02-03-2018, 11:38 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeMargeSentMe View Post
Correct. One of my 16-year-old twin girls asked specifically for "Mom-Jeans" for Christmas. Just when I thought I had heard it all ...

Old 02-03-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
The old adage, if you wore it the first time it was in style, don't wear it the second time. If you're around until it cycles back for a third go, then all bets are off
Or just do what you want. Each individual knows their limits.

Old 02-03-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Correct. One of my 16-year-old twin girls asked specifically for "Mom-Jeans" for Christmas. Just when I thought I had heard it all ...

Old 02-03-2018, 12:36 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I saw a middle schooler this week with mom jeans covered with patches.

Old 02-03-2018, 12:54 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
^

Ah... er... No.
This is a weird look for the eighties I think ( and it's not about those over-sized blazers with padded shoulders, but rather those grayish colors and a bow (!) combined with those blazers. Totally weird, in poor taste, and totally NOT in spirit of the eighties.
Back in the eighties women's clothing actually looked like fun and didn't make women look frumpy or older AT ALL.
It was probably a case in the 70ies as well.
But going back to the 50ies and 60ies - yes, women's fashions were much more matronly, because ( I am making a guess here,) they were much more FEMININE.
Once women's clothing became more unisex like, it stopped looking matronly, and thus women stopped looking older (being dressed this way.)
That's my take on it.

That's because you didn't live it. You just seen the fun pictures. Correct? I was only 13 in 1989 but I dressed in 501's and hoodies. Not that usual compared to today. My mom wore shoulder pads, Much like the look Melanie has in that picture.

Old 02-03-2018, 01:02 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,784,668 times
My stomach hurt the other day and I felt all bloated. I put on my jeans and was so uncomfortable. I swapped them out for some with some stretch in them. And then I exclaimed, "Oh crap. This is how it starts. Where is my hair net?! For cryin' out loud, somebody bring me my rubbers for my feet, will ya? My shoes are gonna get full of snow and wet. I just got my hair set last Thursday and now it's going to get all wind-whipped! The ladies at Bridge are all gonna laugh at meeee!"

But then I wore my Queens of the Stone Age concert t-shirt with my stretchy pants so at least I was halfway- still- almost- just- barely- a- dork. I've had teenagers start talking to me because of the concert shirts I wear. I'm hip. I'm with it. *insert Dr. Evil doing The Macarena here*

Old 02-03-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post

But then I wore my Queens of the Stone Age concert t-shirt with my stretchy pants so at least I was halfway- still- almost- just- barely- a- dork. I've had teenagers start talking to me because of the concert shirts I wear. I'm hip. I'm with it. *insert Dr. Evil doing The Macarena here*
I saw KISS shirts in the teen boys department at Walmart this morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty