Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 12:02 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Personally, I wear makeup not because of low self esteem, but because it's a self respect thing. Because I have respect for myself, I want the world to see a polished version of myself. It's also why I style my hair and don't wear cheap, sloppy, or ill-fitting clothes.
Right.
The question becomes since when does a clean, presentable, "polished" version of yourself have to involve face paint?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 12:09 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Right.
The question becomes since when does a clean, presentable, "polished" version of yourself have to involve face paint?
I don't think it necessarily "has to". For me and my face, I think it does. That's a personal decision. A lot of it has to do with the condition of the canvas, so to speak.

Old 02-20-2018, 12:14 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
For nail polish from one guy's perspective - I will tell you I don't notice it and don't care. If it is some odd color, purple, bright green or glowing shiny red, i might notice and say it is neat. If an adult woman had her nails painted bubblegum pink or fluorescent green and it is not Halloween or St. Patricks day, I may wonder about her maturity, but otherwise colored or not and whether it is a good job is something women notice, not us. If a woman's nails perfectly match her lipstick - not going to notice it. Well done or sloppy? Probably won't notice and certainly won't care. Maybe she was in a hurry.

I do (did) notice long or bitten down nails but just for one selfish reason - can she scratch my head with those? Huge long nails - no do not touch me with those. Bitten down - that is too bad, oh well, not a big deal (and I might wonder if she has anxiety issues that I need to be careful of). Honestly I think natural colored nails look better, but I do not really care. Frankly I do not care much if they are real nails or glued on either (as long as they are not talons), I cannot always tell anyway.

If a guy notices how well done your nail polish is, he is not looking at you anyway, he is looking at your date.

To me make up can be great if it is well done. It should not be noticeable. No makeup is fine too. Most women are beautiful on their own and do not realize it. However, generally, most women look prettier with a little make up if it is done right. Painted ladies? I am going to steer clear, something is wrong there.

Old 02-20-2018, 12:19 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Yeah. Long nails gross me out and fake nails make me hurl. Guys or girls.

Old 02-20-2018, 02:09 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Yeah. Long nails gross me out and fake nails make me hurl. Guys or girls.
Guys wear fake nails?

I have seen coke heads with one long finer nail (not sure whether real or fake) but never a guy with fake nails unless it was part of a costume.

Old 02-20-2018, 03:22 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,124,293 times
I do not wear make-up. I have not worn make-up since my daughter was born 20 years ago. I will wear it if I am going to a formal event - then it is mascara and lipstick only. I don't wear fingernail polish, but I do polish my toe nails.

I have fair-medium skin tone, dark hair, blue eyes, and natural rose shaded lips. The contrast works well without adding makeup.

Besides, make up makes me look cheap. LOL.

Old 02-20-2018, 05:24 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
I went to Glamour Shots when I was in my late 20's. Ugh...That is the most makeup I have ever worn and right after the shoot I washed it all off, lol. It's just not for me.
//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...0755515-n.html

That picture does make me realize how my eyes are getting smaller, lol.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:54 PM

72 posts, read 82,976 times
I occasionally wear makeup on supervisor days at work, and by makeup I mean lip color and eyeliner. Eyeliner is pushing it. Full paint? Special occasion, or if I have the two hours it takes for me to do hair & makeup. Nails are about the only thing I'm girly about, and even then, it's not an everyday thing.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:35 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
I'm surprised by all the women who don't wear any makeup at all. I quit wearing foundation years ago, when I decided it wasn't good for my skin. I think the skin is healthier w/o that. I use sunscreen and a light coating of powder to cut the shine from the sunscreen lotion. But I almost always wear eye makeup and some blush. My eyes seem to disappear without eye makeup. And I add some blush because my face has no color at all. I always wear something on my lips because they're so dry...could be a lipstick the tone of my natural lips, or could be just chapstick.

Old 02-21-2018, 12:23 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Right.
Since forever, why not?

Except for the "have to" part, I don't feel that way. It is a choice and it is how we feel, individually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty