Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 11:11 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,333,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Sometimes it seems that if I leave an item in my cart, the price is likely to go up, while if I save it for later, the price more often goes down. Might be coincidence, or maybe they're changing prices based upon my cart contents.
Personalized prices is an urban myth; it was attempted back in 2000, but hasn't returned ever since. Amazon officially states that everyone sees the same prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2018, 11:51 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,118,288 times
If people saw different prices the truth would come out and the over-charged buyers would be furious. Amazon's image and sales would be drastically impacted as they handle that PR nightmare.

For the same reason I know their Alexa voice powered devices are not tapping our lives. The penalty for getting caught doing that would be a corporate disaster. And eventually that would come out.

Old 08-10-2018, 04:03 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,248,248 times
From my experience I think it's the less popular colors that get the discount, but not always. You'll also notice prices changes with certain sizes- for example, I just got a pair of loafers for $25 (originally over $60) because my size was on sale. It's usually the case when they only have a few left in stock and need to move product, or at least that's my take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Why don't you stop buying your clothes on Amazon?

Tons of other shopping around. Try Target, they are super stylish and sell quality at good prices.

H&M and Zara are also good choices.
What's wrong with purchasing via Amazon? I can find brands I like and trust at good prices, and I also have a better selection than what I might be able to find locally. I've purchased premium brands for steep discounts shopping as I stated above- waiting for price drops opting for colors on sale. H&M and Zara are known for their poor labor practices and, for Zara in particular, stealing designs from independent artists.

Old 08-10-2018, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
From my experience I think it's the less popular colors that get the discount, but not always. You'll also notice prices changes with certain sizes- for example, I just got a pair of loafers for $25 (originally over $60) because my size was on sale. It's usually the case when they only have a few left in stock and need to move product, or at least that's my
I'd be very surprised is pink is one of the more popular colors for men's clothing, considering at least in the case of IZOD that is one of the colors that was less frequently discounted.

Also, I'm using the number of reviews for a particular option as evidence as well.

Here are some cases where certain pricing rules may not apply:
  • Many premium and luxury brands have certain minimum price agreements or contractual price obligations that Amazon must abide by, so this overrides Amazon's typical pricing algorithms.
  • Third party sellers who sell clothing on Amazon may have different pricing algorithms from Amazon themselves.

Last edited by Pink Jazz; 08-10-2018 at 05:44 PM..

Old 08-13-2018, 01:08 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,247,100 times
Quote:

What's wrong with purchasing via Amazon? I can find brands I like and trust at good prices, and I also have a better selection than what I might be able to find locally. I've purchased premium brands for steep discounts shopping as I stated above- waiting for price drops opting for colors on sale. H&M and Zara are known for their poor labor practices and, for Zara in particular, stealing designs from independent artists.
If it's truly a PREMIUM brand with a STEEP discount, it's probably a knockoff on Amazon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I'd be very surprised is pink is one of the more popular colors for men's clothing, considering at least in the case of IZOD that is one of the colors that was less frequently discounted.

Also, I'm using the number of reviews for a particular option as evidence as well.

Here are some cases where certain pricing rules may not apply:
  • Many premium and luxury brands have certain minimum price agreements or contractual price obligations that Amazon must abide by, so this overrides Amazon's typical pricing algorithms.
  • Third party sellers who sell clothing on Amazon may have different pricing algorithms from Amazon themselves.
No it's not.

Old 08-13-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
If it's truly a PREMIUM brand with a STEEP discount, it's probably a knockoff on Amazon.

No it's not.
If Amazon (not a third party seller) is selling that brand, then it probably isn't a knockoff. And as far as the Fairy Tale pink goes, that was one of the colors that was less frequently discounted compared to the more conservative colors, so it appears that Amazon may be employing a long tail pricing strategy at least in the case of IZOD. Not sure if Amazon applies the same strategy to other brands.

Old 08-13-2018, 11:20 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Are the pink shirts you are looking at strictly seasonal? You won't be able to buy that exact color and style combination again once the season is over and they are all sold? As opposed to the more traditional shirts that you can buy year round, and probably for several years running?

Old 08-14-2018, 12:03 AM

1,516 posts, read 1,248,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Not always. Perhaps you and I differ in what we consider premium. I'm not saying I bought a Birkin for $1000 but a $300 dress for <$120 brand new and it was legit (but it was also one of the last in its size).

Old 08-14-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Not always. Perhaps you and I differ in what we consider premium. I'm not saying I bought a Birkin for $1000 but a $300 dress for <$120 brand new and it was legit (but it was also one of the last in its size).
Note that premium and luxury are not the same. What I consider premium are brands such as Calvin Klein, Tommy Hilfiger, and Polo Ralph Lauren (aka Blue Label), while luxury are brands such as Gucci, Burberry, and Ralph Lauren Purple Label.

Old 08-14-2018, 04:22 PM

Note that Amazon is now selling its best selling colors of the IZOD Advantage Polo as bundles, either in Black/Bright White or Black/Peacoat (Navy) for almost the same price as buying one Advantage Polo in Fairy Tale (as of current prices; erroneously listed on Amazon as "Deep Fairy Tale"). Amazon used to offer a Real Red/Bright White/Blue Revival (medium-light blue) bundle as well, but it has been discontinued.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty