Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 08:15 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,801,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I just said to my hubby tonight that I've never seen an ugly figure skater in the Olympics either, women or men. Don't know why because I know it's based on talent, not looks.
I think a lot of them are not attractive, average at best. Some, like Tonya Harding, are not attractive at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 09:13 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,471,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Yes, we only allow the prettiest girls to compete in the Olympics. This is common knowledge.

Miss America's got nothing on the winter Olympics

Old 02-20-2018, 09:57 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,590,002 times
Anyone who is in great shape looks good.

Like my 60 year old girlfriend. Seriously, she is in awesome shape, and can put many 30 year olds to shame, and is physically in better shape than many of them. A lifetime of exercise and good eating helps. But then, I'm 66 and can walk most millennials into the ground, and I would let them pick the terrain, the length of the trek, and how many days we would go out. But we just live that kind of lifestyle.

Only attractive women skiers in the Olympics?-60-gf3a.jpg
Only attractive women skiers in the Olympics?-60-gf2a.jpg

Old 02-20-2018, 11:09 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,954,579 times
Many good looking people come from wealthy parents of course. Lots of money in the skiing snowboarding folks. I live in a wealthy area and people just look much better than in poor neighborhoods. Just the way it is. Skiing isn't a poor person's sport. Never was.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:24 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,240,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Yes, we only allow the prettiest girls to compete in the Olympics. This is common knowledge.

The figure skaters pretty much have to be hot to have a shot.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:19 AM

24,555 posts, read 18,225,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I think a lot of them are not attractive, average at best. Some, like Tonya Harding, are not attractive at all.
Tonya Harding at her peak wasn’t getting kicked out of bed for eating crackers.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:19 AM

8,168 posts, read 8,518,066 times
Long time skier here. Yes, that is noticable. The process of becoming a world class athlete typically starts when a person begins to walk. The Parents encourage them. Eventually they become involved in a coached sport. Most Olympic Winter sports are not part of a school curriculum so the parents end up paying all the bills for coaching, practice, and travel. Imagine how many kids would play football if the parents had to pony up $400 for an annual pass to the field and $1000 for a coach? Or any other popular Summer sport. So there is one filter. Mostly rich kids move up in Winter sports.
Coaches are human, so guess which ones they select to help the most? The nicest, most polite, enthusiastic, attractive ones. These are the kids that progress and get to the top ranks. If the do not progress through high school they and the parents give up and move on to something else.
Participating in world class competition is expensive so commercial endorsements are essential. Guess who the corporations select to support? Of course, the ones who can model for their products.
That is what you see in the Olympics.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:26 AM

8,168 posts, read 8,518,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Anyone who is in great shape looks good.
Like my 60 year old girlfriend. <>
See also Banshee Moon on Youtube.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:31 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,590,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
See also Banshee Moon on Youtube.
Looks almost as good as my 60 year old girlfriend. From the front.

Old 02-21-2018, 11:19 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfab1 View Post
Ugh, how unfair. They're clearly discriminating against ugly dark haired women! After all, these skiers and snowboarders aren't selected based on their skills, only on their good looks and light hair.
No, it's not quite that...but as others have written, to get endorsement money it certainly doesn't hurt to be gorgeous TOO. And you can get better a lot faster with endorsements behind you to help with all your costs for equipment, training, travel, etc. So, as usual, there does happen to be a hidden component of attractiveness, EVEN in the Olympics unfortunately. It's called "sports modelling" - yeah, I made that up, but it's only a step removed from "spokesmodel".

Just like musicians could be ugly in the past, or at least didn't have to be gorgeous - but that was before videos came around and looks / dance ability started to trump actual musical ability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty