Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 07:31 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
I really like them as my legs are definitely not attractive enough for me not to feel self-conscious in shorts, yet they are definitely cooler than jeans -- which I definitely appreciate in the summer!

P.S. on Edit: Oh, and btw, in reading some of these "Fashion and Beauty" threads, it is amazing to me how I have managed to go 64 years without someone looking at my body and/or attire, screaming in horror, and go running for the hills! However, when it comes to general opinions, I think that there is more than one kind of "body shaming" going on (i.e., "ugly feet), and I don't like it, and I do not want to be a part of it. Opinions are fine, but I just very much dislike all the finger-pointing and unkind posts on these kinds of threads. Not all of us think that "perfect" bodies and immaculate pedicures are all that important, and I have more important things to worry about and spend time and/or money on. (But if looking beautiful and "perfect" is high on your list of priorities -- well, again, I just think, "live and let live". If you want to spend hours at a gym each week and hundreds of dollars each year on personal grooming, I am not going to criticize you. And, of course, I am not speaking to anyone in particular but am just using the general 'you'.)
No, you were obviously talking to the people who mentioned feet, like me . Here’s how it works. If you’re coming to my office and sitting in front of me with filthy feet, nasty long chopped up toenails in sandals, I’m not going to be gagging in private. Toenail clippers and soap are relatively inexpensive .

And of course when I say “you” I mean the general “you” since obviously, you’re not my employee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 08:02 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Laura Petrie looked great in them.

Old 03-01-2018, 08:57 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,694,200 times
Invented to hide them thunder thighs

Old 03-01-2018, 09:44 AM

19,797 posts, read 9,331,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
No, you were obviously talking to the people who mentioned feet, like me . Here’s how it works. If you’re coming to my office and sitting in front of me with filthy feet, nasty long chopped up toenails in sandals, I’m not going to be gagging in private. Toenail clippers and soap are relatively inexpensive .

And of course when I say “you” I mean the general “you” since obviously, you’re not my employee.
Oh, I absolutely agree with you about displaying "ugly feet" in an office situation -- but I just can't imagine wearing capris and sandals to an office, even on "casual Fridays". (But then I am old, and what is considered acceptable wear for the office has certainly changed since "my time".)

Last edited by katharsis; 03-01-2018 at 10:35 AM..

Old 03-01-2018, 10:12 AM

102,183 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I was so frustrated trying to find pants I liked though, recently. So what I like best, a thin, stretchy material, tight until a few inches below the knee, then a slight flare, like...bootcut. That, I like. And I do wear boots quite a bit, like to have my combat boots under the jeans, so yeah. That's just what I want, fine. Could not find 'em to save myself. It's all skinny this and "jeggings" that and...boyfriend cut? What, even, now? I just haven't bought pants in a long time, I guess. Target had me all upset, until I got sidetracked by the Knox Rose clothing display and bought shirts, which then made me mad because I didn't need shirts and I wasn't THERE to buy shirts...

See? I'm indecisive enough. I do not need my trousers to help with that situation.
Bootcut jeans are definitely out there. Try Macy's online. They have a wide selection of pants, and always include bootcuts as part of the selection. Catalogs carry bootcuts. Also, just about two years ago, and into early last year, flares jeans and corduroys, made a comeback. They were in the fashion mags, and the stores. They were of the pricier brands, but they were definitely there. Compared to the longer-term staying power of skinny jeans, I guess they were a flash in the pan, but you can still find flare-leg pants here and there.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:35 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Why is that funny?

Yes, I live on Las Olas, I do know what women wear in downtown Fort Lauderdale.

In the burbs? I have no idea.
Well since you asked...The definition of suburb is a city, town, village, CDP or unincorporated area OUTSIDE of the major city boundaries within a county. Are we now talking about what "suburban women" wear versus pseudo-urban Las Olas neighborhood women - a TINY neighborhood - in a city of 180,000? So confusing when the goal posts and terminology keep changing.

Well it's funny, first, I guess, because I'm from Philly, downtown population in the millions, not 25,000 like tiny downtown FLL - a neighborhood - which doesn't define the whole city. Also because "downtown" Fort Lauderdale Las Olas (a TINY neighborhood)...is about the smallest fraction of the CITY of FLL population one could site. Is Rio Vista a "suburb"? No, it's a neighborhood a couple BLOCKS away from "downtown Las Olas". Are those people "unhip", too? One mile away from "downtown Las Olas".

You live in Colee Hammock. A neighborhood. Population 1000 average age over 40. Not exactly the type of place you see all the women running around in jeans and heels all the time. Looks just like a "suburb". One of MANY 25 or so "neighborhoods", surrounding "ON Las Olas" which is the charm of the FLL area.

And all the shopping in "downtown-ish" FLL has the same stores as everywhere else and even Abercrombie has all their pants cropped shorter. And the main shopping for that "area" isn't even ON "downtown" Las Olas.

So I assume you're saying women all over Ft Lauderdale should wear long jeans and heels. not that they DO. Or that all the women ON downtown Las Olas Blvd. wear it. But that was your initial statement. I get it now.

Thanks for clarifying.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:51 AM

6,553 posts, read 8,381,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Height has nothing to do with it. They look bad on everyone.

I agree, in warmer climates and weather, sundresses are a more flattering option for women who, do not want to wear shorts.
Which are not appropriate for many outdoor activities. And don't get me started on the chafing...

Old 03-01-2018, 03:30 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Well since you asked...The definition of suburb is a city, town, village, CDP or unincorporated area OUTSIDE of the major city boundaries within a county. Are we now talking about what "suburban women" wear versus pseudo-urban Las Olas neighborhood women - a TINY neighborhood - in a city of 180,000? So confusing when the goal posts and terminology keep changing.

Well it's funny, first, I guess, because I'm from Philly, downtown population in the millions, not 25,000 like tiny downtown FLL - a neighborhood - which doesn't define the whole city. Also because "downtown" Fort Lauderdale Las Olas (a TINY neighborhood)...is about the smallest fraction of the CITY of FLL population one could site. Is Rio Vista a "suburb"? No, it's a neighborhood a couple BLOCKS away from "downtown Las Olas". Are those people "unhip", too? One mile away from "downtown Las Olas".

You live in Colee Hammock. A neighborhood. Population 1000 average age over 40. Not exactly the type of place you see all the women running around in jeans and heels all the time. Looks just like a "suburb". One of MANY 25 or so "neighborhoods", surrounding "ON Las Olas" which is the charm of the FLL area.

And all the shopping in "downtown-ish" FLL has the same stores as everywhere else and even Abercrombie has all their pants cropped shorter. And the main shopping for that "area" isn't even ON "downtown" Las Olas.

So I assume you're saying women all over Ft Lauderdale should wear long jeans and heels. not that they DO. Or that all the women ON downtown Las Olas Blvd. wear it. But that was your initial statement. I get it now.

Thanks for clarifying.
Yes, I'm speaking of downtown Fort Lauderdale where millions of international and domestic visitors spend time every year.

Nope, no Abercrombie in the neighborhood.

No, Ambercrombie hasn't been hip in years.

Yes, Colee Hammock one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in South Florida.

Yes, many women wear heels and jeans all year long in hot climates.

Get out sometime and you'll see that.

Old 03-01-2018, 03:48 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,243,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Which are not appropriate for many outdoor activities. And don't get me started on the chafing...
Chafing? In a sundress?

Old 03-01-2018, 04:15 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Height has nothing to do with it. They look bad on everyone.

I agree, in warmer climates and weather, sundresses are a more flattering option for women who, do not want to wear shorts.
I am 56 years old. I look flat out stupid in sundresses. Capris are much more flattering on me. LOL if you think I look bad in capris (which would strictly be imaginary on your part because I don't believe we've had the pleasure of meeting in person), you should see me in a sundress!

Also, someone mentioned knees. Get this, Sheena - knees can get weird looking as you get older. I didn't even THINK about knees when I was younger. But now I have to face the fact - if I bother to think about it, which is about once a year at best - that my knees don't look like young, smooth knees anymore. My ankles - good to go. My knees, not so much.

Besides that, I just don't like wearing dresses. I prefer pants. And in the summer, I prefer capris over shorts or pants of denim or any other fabric. You know why I prefer what I prefer? Because I'm a grown ___ woman who knows what she likes, is confident in her understanding of body type and flattering styles for that body type, and who dresses to please herself first and foremost and her husband secondly. Everyone else can kiss my capri'd patooty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty