Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 07:25 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times

Advertisements

I guess it depends on the definition of over dressing. I think someone wearing a cocktail dress and high heels and sparkly jewelry looks kind of silly if they aren't going to a fancy event. On the other hand, I think someone in cut off shorts and flip flops at work or church, etc. could have put in a little more effort.

Having said that, I'm the type who would rather be a little underdressed rather than overdressed. Pulled together and not inappropriate, but I have definitely gotten more casual with time than I used to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2018, 07:51 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,126,163 times
I'm rarely overdressed for an occasion. Not that I'm under dressed either. I feel like I've got a pretty good handle on the appropriate attire for an occasion and always check with someone beforehand if it's not clear how to dress for a specific occasion. But I do know some people that might be a little overdressed at times. My mom is one. She's soon to be 80. She doesn't look or act it. She has 17 grown grandchildren and 13 great grand children. She dresses for them. Pretentiousness has 0 to do with it. She very fondly remembers her nana who came from Ireland, was a feisty, woman of station but broke all the rules too (first woman in her area to walk into a saloon and smoke a cigarette, etc... but dressed to the nines). She loved that woman with all of her heart. She has a great desire for her grandchildren and great grands to remember her as fun, silly, loving and dressed nice (and they will). It's not overly, overly, dressed but if someone (one of us..her own kids or grands) is popping in to pick something up or have a cuppa)... she'll be in slacks but.. nice slacks, she'll put on a dress shirt, jewelry, hair done well, full makeup etc. Even at a picnic at the river. But all of that is driven by her desire to be remembered by her progeny as she does her nana. None of the kids even know this...I'm the only one to whom she confided (the eldest).

Since the first post I've thought of the woman in the movie Titanic who knew she was going to die and she dressed for the occasion. It was really a very poignant scene to me. She carefully dressed as if she were going to a ball. To die.

Yeah, there are some that do it because they are pretentious but, there are a lot of other reasons that some overdress and frequently it can go back to how they were raised.

Old 03-03-2018, 09:45 AM

604 posts, read 856,417 times
I see it as a facet of a person's personality, not pretentiousness. I love to dress mindfully (not sure "dressing up" is the right term) and I love to see other people's personal expressions through their clothing. I have a coworker who dresses like Elton John, circa 1986 - but she owns it. I love seeing what she comes up with from day to day.

Old 03-03-2018, 10:11 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,267,886 times
Not at all. Some people just like to dress well. I'd much rather see a woman wearing pearls or a man in a tie at a little league game than wearing pajama pants at a band concert.

Now, I do know pretentious people who overdress for everything. But for those people I take issue with the pretentiousness that drives the overdressing, not the overdressing itself.

Old 03-03-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
When in doubt, dress in what might be considered school clothes. School clothes are good for most every occasion. At least you will look neat and respectable, and at the same time you won't be overdressed.
I take it you haven't seen what kids are wearing to school these days.

Old 03-03-2018, 10:33 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
you should always look your best. you should, not me.

Old 03-03-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Saw a young man wearing a cape and a fedora at church once. I wasn't offended, it wasn't pretentious. It was, however, bizarre and LARPy and I am concerned about his mental health.
If it was a Superman cape I might agree.

If it was an Iverness cape, on the other hand - in other words, a Sherlock Holmes-type cloak - Then what you saw was not "bizarre" or "LARPY", but rather an example of someone choosing to dress to a level of style and class seldom seen today. You need to thank you lucky stars rather than being judgmental.

Old 03-03-2018, 10:46 AM

10,894 posts, read 7,386,537 times
I take pride in my "leggins and flip flops". But that's dressy for here.

Old 03-03-2018, 11:58 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,661,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblue100 View Post
Just curious.
I hope you don't mean occasions like mowing the grass!

Old 03-03-2018, 01:04 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
But would a tiara look good with my leggings?
Yes, but you wear it on your head. It’s not a belt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty