Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 09:17 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,965,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
They arent. And I think you know they arent. This is just another one of the many many threads you started about things that seem to relate only to YOU.

Stretch pants for men are NOT popular with college aged kids.
Stretch pants for men are NOT popular with the coveted 20-35 year old demographic.
Stretch pants for men are NOT popular with working class men.
Stretch pants for men are NOT popular with ANY man I know.

It may ONLY be popular with a very very very tiny and small segment only in certain geographical locations among only a few who happen to be very outwardly "fabulous" gay men. So, in conclusion of this ridiculous thread title, "stretch pants" are absolutely NOT popular at all with men.
I think you are mistaken. They are, in fact, very popular. Just as an an example, look at the J Crew's selection of chinos and other pants:

https://www.jcrew.com/c/mens_category/pants

A very decent proportion are a cotton/elastane blend, and you will see this with chinos and jeans sold by a large number- if not a majority- of mainstream retailers. In fact, as I, a 40-year-old straight man, type this, I am wearing Levi's that are a 98%/2% cotton/elastane blend.

Most stretch jeans and chinos are cut exactly like their non-stretch counterparts, so you'd never know the difference without handling the material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
It isn't the jeans, it's these other stretch pants that come in different colors and are short or have a wide elastic band at the ankle. They don't wear socks so they flash their ankles.
It sounds like you are talking about a cropped jogger pant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 10:50 AM

7,307 posts, read 12,243,588 times
Interestingly, even though for pants (as well as shorts) my favorite brand is all in on the stretch trend, this spring they decided to focus on natural stretch instead of spandex blends for shirts after a lineup dominated by spandex blends last fall, with some shirts reverting to 100% cotton. I guess it wasn't popular enough with their loyal customers.

Old 03-13-2018, 12:03 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,227,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
They arent. And I think you know they arent. This is just another one of the many many threads you started about things that seem to relate only to YOU.

Stretch pants for men are NOT popular with college aged kids.
Stretch pants for men are NOT popular with the coveted 20-35 year old demographic.
Stretch pants for men are NOT popular with working class men.
Stretch pants for men are NOT popular with ANY man I know.

It may ONLY be popular with a very very very tiny and small segment only in certain geographical locations among only a few who happen to be very outwardly "fabulous" gay men. So, in conclusion of this ridiculous thread title, "stretch pants" are absolutely NOT popular at all with men.
5% Spandex jeans are not going to turn you any gayer than you already are.

Old 03-13-2018, 12:19 PM

3,481 posts, read 3,175,022 times
Big bellies. Standard denim fabric jeans, for example, are useless to all but the skinniest people - very few of those over 40, and, come to think of it, few under 40 these days. Stretch jeans have become very "authentic" looking lately. I threw all my Wranglers out.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:29 AM

3,857 posts, read 3,124,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
the leggings look just as bad on women...

imagine if men started wearing leggings as well
Men are wearing leggings already! Gotta say, if you dont have the build, dont even bother. You will look like a chubby chick in tights! (nothing wrong with that, for a woman).

Old 03-14-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
I saw Levi's 505 jeans for sale at Costco and went to buy a pair. When I picked them up, I could immediately feel that they were made of something other than regular Levi's denim. Inspection of the label revealed that they were some accursed stretch fabric. Back on the table. No sale.

Fortunately, normal denim Levi's haven't been totally eliminated and are for sale elsewhere.
the 505s fit tighter than the rest as it is, to come in stretch fabric?

Old 03-14-2018, 10:33 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,490,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
Men are wearing leggings already! Gotta say, if you dont have the build, dont even bother. You will look like a chubby chick in tights! (nothing wrong with that, for a woman).
sorry feminism means men are treated the same as women, if a chubby chick can get away with it, men can wear crop tops and tight pants when shopping too

Old 03-14-2018, 10:42 AM

I just picked up a pair of 501 stretch jeans. They do fit true to the waist size. Does NOT feel like tights. It only gives a little extra stretch in important places , like the butt, quadriceps, knees. I am searching desperately for color twill in the 501.

I am a long time fan of the 559, but Levis is soon to discontinue this line (so I have heard). I have been trying to pick up what I can find in a colored twill or light weight fabric. When I do get a pair, I have to say , they fit and feel very good.

514 is for medium/athletic fit. So they do fit a little tight.

550 is for the grandpa fit.

Levis is keeping the classic line like the 501 alive and well, but continue to follow the young folks trends. They are not doing enough for their older fans, like me. The 40+ crowd just don't look right in skinny/skin tight jeans.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:25 AM

7,307 posts, read 12,243,588 times
Quote:

Levis is keeping the classic line like the 501 alive and well, but continue to follow the young folks trends. They are not doing enough for their older fans, like me. The 40+ crowd just don't look right in skinny/skin tight jeans.

Even brands that historically targeted men over 40 like IZOD are aiming for a younger audience and are all in on the stretch trend for pants and shorts, and are going towards a more athletic approach towards their polo shirts with the success of their Advantage Polo with Sportflex Technology. However, apparently they were not very successful applying the same approach last fall with their button-down shirts, with most of their button-down shirts reverting to 100% cotton this spring.

Old 03-14-2018, 03:31 PM

4,170 posts, read 6,858,598 times
Quote:
the 505s fit tighter than the rest as it is, to come in stretch fabric?
505s are far from a tight fit for the average person. They're a straight leg, non-tapered leg opening with a classic seat and classic thigh opening. (which I can tell you'd know from your description of their other cuts up above)

There are at least six (6) different cuts Levi's sell that have a range of slimmer/skinnier fits than the 505.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty