Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 05:44 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,137,616 times

Advertisements

And how much do you imagine you're influenced by fashion trends? And are you aware of the business of Pantone? Most people seem to let themselves be led very easily.

What Is the Perfect Color Worth?
Inside the mysterious art — and big business — of color forecasting.
By Bruce Falconer

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/28/magazine/what-is-the-perfect-color-worth.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2018, 05:53 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,965,657 times
Since I have lived with defective color perception all my life, I pay no attention to color at all.
I have never allowed myself to be a slave of "fashion", so I happily wear my Red Wing boots, jeans, and work shirts every day.
I have no idea what "Pantone" is, so it is meaningless.

Old 03-07-2018, 06:49 PM

5,132 posts, read 4,481,127 times
That was a fascinating article. I learned about color forecasting from seeing "The Devil Wears Prada."

The only thought I give to color is how it makes me feel and how it looks on me. It may be en vogue, but if I find it ugly, it depresses me, or it does not look attractive on me, I will never wear it.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:04 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,074,255 times
The whole concept is interesting.

I have a love and appreciation for all colors. There are some I wouldn't wear, but might decorate with and vice versa. There's colors that don't look good on me, but I can see others pull them off. I just really like color!

Old 03-07-2018, 07:04 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,323,427 times
I actually give a whole lot to color. My favorite color with when I buy clothes is a shade of pink known as Fairy Tale.

Old 03-07-2018, 08:43 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,852,900 times
The color forecasting is important, since it dictates what the main color palette will be fkr the season. Fir example, let’s say you know you want colorful plates. This year you are going to go to the store and see all sorts of lavendar home goods. And nail polish.

Let’s say you are like me and have a specific set of favorite colors in your wardrobe. This season my palette is going to be really hard to find in stores.

You are influenced whether you care or not.

Old 03-07-2018, 08:51 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,118,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
And how much do you imagine you're influenced by fashion trends? And are you aware of the business of Pantone? Most people seem to let themselves be led very easily.

What Is the Perfect Color Worth?
Inside the mysterious art — and big business — of color forecasting.
By Bruce Falconer

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/28/magazine/what-is-the-perfect-color-worth.html
The fact of the matter is that I look "fabulous" in turquoise and teal and I look like death in yellow.

My favorite color is pink.

I wear what I like and what looks good on me. I don't care what the "forecast" says.

Old 03-07-2018, 08:55 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
I'm not that interested in fashion forecasting. I know what palettes are flattering on me, and it is rare that there are no colors available that work and suit my tastes. Even if a given hue is the season's shade, there are always many colors available.

It really is fairly inconsequential to me. The odds of not being able to find denim, black, and charcoal are slim no matter what is deemed the Pantone color of the year.

Old 03-07-2018, 09:55 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,323,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I'm not that interested in fashion forecasting. I know what palettes are flattering on me, and it is rare that there are no colors available that work and suit my tastes. Even if a given hue is the season's shade, there are always many colors available.

It really is fairly inconsequential to me. The odds of not being able to find denim, black, and charcoal are slim no matter what is deemed the Pantone color of the year.
With my favorite brand, Fairy Tale went on hiatus in 2016, but made a return for Spring 2017 and Spring 2018 has a lot of it (the most since Spring 2015).

Old 03-08-2018, 06:21 AM

5,449 posts, read 4,042,372 times
I wear the colors I like. I don't care if they are trendy or not. I don't know how they make me look, other than that they play up the color of my eyes.

I shop at thrift stores so I don't care if the stores are filled with particular colors. I remember many years ago when the powers that be decided olive green, gold, rust and plum were THE colors. You saw them in all the stores. Oprah wore them every day. Aside from plum I find them yucky.

As Katharine Hepburn once said, "Fashion is for the uncourageous."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty