Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 09:18 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times

Advertisements

Ive noticed this a few times in the past, but got to thinking about it again for some reason.

Im out in the public for work every day, and for the most part, Ive noticed that hair styles and the clothing/ fashion, people are wearing on a daily basis, has really not changed that much in close to 15+ yrs!

Im not talking about high fashion in NYC or CA, but just the average person, in the average mid-western city, you could literally put a group of people in time machine and send them back to the late 90s and no one would think their fashion/ clothing, or hair styles were that strange or weird. I think most would fit in perfectly well.

On the other hand, when you look at other time frames in the past, there are HUGE differences and changes, like comparing the 50s to 60s, 70s to 80s, even 80s to the mid to late 90s.

Have we hit a plateau of sorts or..?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 02:20 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
I think we're in an era now where anything goes and individuals feel comfortable doing their own thing and setting their own personal styles instead of following trends. I prefer it that way.

Old 03-09-2018, 02:24 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
I did a search for sewing patterns in 2003, which would be 15 years ago. Yes, I tend to agree although we did not have leggings and tights or extremely tight jeans. I believe we were mostly wearing bootcuts.

In general, there seemed to be some baggy garment holdover, some trimmer dresses and hemlines might have been different. But many of the clothes could be worn today.

One of the major differences I think is that there was much less emphasis on stretch fabrics.

I also looked at fashion in 2003, via a google search, but honestly, I couldn’t tell anything about it. All of that has a certain sameness. I mean fashion as in what was worn by models and celebrities.

I will say that men’s fashions have become much trimmer in the last couple of years, and suits look different than they used to.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:40 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
I don't know...skinny jeans weren't in (generally), there weren't ripped jeans, there was no could shoulder thing, shoes didn't have the chunky heels, nobody tucked a shirt half-in, I think there are loads of differences today.

As for hair, I don't remember totally undone waves in the style they're in now. I think it was more straight-straight for super-trends, and that Hitler across-the-forehead side bang for one and all. (Trying to remember, here.) I KNOW man buns and giant beards weren't the general thing. I think 15 years ago it was...a lot of circle beards? (Or else clean-shaven.) The chemo cut was still heavily in for men. (These are generalizations so PLEASE don't go hunting the internet for pictures of people who bucked all this, LOL. There is no such thing as one hair or clothing style that every single person wears, across all avenues. We're talking trends. )

It could be your location? The closer to an urban center, particularly a more "kitschy" one (New York, Los Angeles, etc.), the more you'll see trends along a broad group.

Old 03-10-2018, 06:23 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,218,086 times
Maybe it has something to do with wage stagnation, student debt, increased cost of housing and healthcare. Maybe people just can't afford a new wardrobe every year or two to keep up with trends. And maybe people are also wising up to the fact that "fashion" is just planned obsolescence for clothing.

Old 03-10-2018, 07:31 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,299,568 times
I used to love to go clothes shopping but not anymore. I'm hating most of the current trends including the cold shoulder tops which are everywhere, the super skinny pants, the pants which end way above the ankle and have ruffles and dresses with no waist definition.

I did get a blast from the past while grocery shopping yesterday. An older woman had on a pair of acid washed jeans. When did you see those last?

Old 03-10-2018, 01:05 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times
Whats up with clothing/ hair trends today?

As far as hair trends. . . appears you don't even have to comb your hair anymore to be in style.

Old 03-10-2018, 03:55 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
Maybe it has something to do with wage stagnation, student debt, increased cost of housing and healthcare. Maybe people just can't afford a new wardrobe every year or two to keep up with trends. And maybe people are also wising up to the fact that "fashion" is just planned obsolescence for clothing.
I haven’t found much in the trends over the last few years. Honestly I am getting new versions of things I used to have that have worn out. :P

I am totally on repeat. And when I pull out older things that are still around, they do not look out of date at all.

The only legit new trend I have picked up are mesh and/or other cut out leggings. That is actually new, and a look I like a lot. One athleisure trend I think has legs. It is basically a good rev on moto pants and leather leggings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I used to love to go clothes shopping but not anymore. I'm hating most of the current trends including the cold shoulder tops which are everywhere, the super skinny pants, the pants which end way above the ankle and have ruffles and dresses with no waist definition.

I did get a blast from the past while grocery shopping yesterday. An older woman had on a pair of acid washed jeans. When did you see those last?
Yup, I hate the ruffles and uber distressed jeans right now.

Though I have seen a lot of young people rocking acid washed and other 80s styled demin over the past few years.

Old 03-10-2018, 07:05 PM

5,449 posts, read 4,043,852 times
You haven't noticed all the people with purple hair these days?

Old 03-10-2018, 07:12 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times
It's the corporate influence.

People have lost their individual flair to present a corporate image.

Also - it's very difficult to get non-synthetic fabrics.

Designers mass produce unimaginative clothes.

There are not many boutiques with original clothing items.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty