Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 01:24 PM

4,212 posts, read 6,899,912 times

Advertisements

Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).

I don't see it often but I do see guys wearing these not as part of specific celebration or a costume. There is a guy I see on the train to work wear one fairly regularly and I'll see other guys out and about sometimes. It's not ultra common but to say you never see it just out in the wild as a man's style choice is flat out wrong.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-16-2018 at 03:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 03:16 PM

20,363 posts, read 14,636,289 times
I've known, from time to time, plenty of goth guys (who were heterosexual and not in any way trans or trying to cross dress, really) wear long black skirts as part of their spooky gothy attire. It's been a thing, albeit, not exactly a common one...but a thing.

I'll never forget a night that a friend and I found ourselves stranded (we were so young) at a dance club in a sketchy neighborhood, and we ran into the one guy there I knew, and he could give us a ride home, so I was all trying to shmooze up on him and get that to happen. And she kept making fun of him for his outfit, and I was so mad at her...we NEEDED this dude's help! She was making that prospect seem less likely all the time, with her snarky remarks! What was he wearing? Well, he was tall and a bit on the heavy side, and he had long dark hair, and he had on a long black skirt, boots, a long concert t-shirt over the skirt, and a belt on over the shirt. It looked ridiculous. Black nail polish and lipstick of course, as well. It just wasn't a good look. But I wasn't gonna tell him, since we needed his help, jeez!!

I see tons of kilts though. But I do hang out with LARPers, Renn fest people, and in various subculture groups where people are into that sort of thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
guys who want to wear skirts already wear skirts. Kilts are not new and are not going to contribute to a rise in skirts among men.
The mental images I am having range from a guy having a Marilyn Monroe moment, to um..."pitching a tent." Thanks for the laugh!

Old 03-16-2018, 03:56 PM

4,212 posts, read 6,899,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post

The mental images I am having range from a guy having a Marilyn Monroe moment, to um..."pitching a tent." Thanks for the laugh!
lol

Old 03-16-2018, 05:42 PM

459 posts, read 698,510 times
Sarongs are comfortable as heck. If I could I would wear them all the time.

Also if women can wear pants without any negative connotations why can't men wear skirts?What's so bad about it?

Old 03-16-2018, 05:52 PM

423 posts, read 288,658 times
I wonder what the Mod has been deleting? Is it about what is worn under the kilt? And what is the Sporran supposed to symbolize? It is a furry or leather sack worn on the front of the kilt to contain manly items.
Sporran
From Wikipedia-The sporran, a traditional part of male Scottish Highland dress, is a pouch that performs the same function as pockets on the pocketless kilt. Made of leather or fur, the ornamentation of the sporran is chosen to complement the formality of dress worn with it. The sporran is worn on a leather strap or chain, conventionally positioned in front of the groin of the wearer.

Last edited by BlackberryMerlot; 03-16-2018 at 06:12 PM..

Old 03-16-2018, 08:34 PM

8,166 posts, read 6,917,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackberryMerlot View Post
Me, after reading your post:

Old 03-16-2018, 10:23 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,791,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
I see a lot of men these days wearing kilts at parties and such. And the ones who are doing it are always the more macho types.

So, could skirts for men not be far behind?
Frankly, I would absolutely love it if more guys following this specific guy's lead and began wearing skirts! :

http://thelo.ca/2017-10-21%20Mont%20Royal.jpg

Old 03-16-2018, 11:59 PM

1,020 posts, read 808,232 times
I've seen it at parties, but admittedly, not mainstream parties. I've seen lots of men in kilts & lots cross dressing, just a few actually wearing skirts that were not kilts. I don't think it's going to be the next big thing, but I do think some guys can pull it off & if they want to, they should go for it. Individuality is sexy.

I do think Fabio Costa from Project Runway does a great job of pulling it off. He wears skirts & lagenlook a lot & yet, it usually looks good on him. There have been a couple of other Proj Runway male designers who have done it well, and quite a few that didn't. Brandon Kee was another on PR that had a really androgynous lagenlook menswear style that often included skirts & dresses layered over pants & it worked. There's also pics below of Jared Leto wearing them & I could look at that all day :-)

Fabio Costa Photos Photos - Project Runway - Runway - Spring 2013 Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week - Zimbio

Blogging Project Runway - The Original Project Runway Fan Blog: Meet Project Runway Season 10 Designer, Fabio Costa

https://www.popsugar.com/fashion/pho...osta-Season-10

newfashion: Fabio

Jared Leto in a skirt, that one works for me.

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/celebr...eto-man-skirt/

Whoa! Jared Leto shows off abs, dons a skirt - NY Daily News

There was a prominent 80's men's rights lawyer who used to wear them all the time, but he didn't pull it off so well. I can't remember his name to find a pic. He used to be on all the talk shows.

Old 03-17-2018, 07:19 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Another inorganic fashion movement sponsored by the fashion industry to make men more feminine.

Kilts, historically not feminine.

Miniskirts and tight shirts as depicted in this thread? Feminine.

Although I have never seen a man wearing one outside of Ren festivals. I can't imagine any man reading a fashion magazine, seeing a pic of a skirt and yelling I MUST HAVE THAT!!! Unless he's gay or transvestite.

Strike that. I can't imagine any man reading a fashion magazine to begin with. /shrug/

Old 03-17-2018, 10:55 AM

3,647 posts, read 3,781,694 times
Some local guys work in utility kilts but also have dress kilts. I'm kind of used to it. Very different look to them than what I see trans fellows trying to rock in town. And much more durable and functional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty