Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 11:09 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post

I guess one of the reasons I don't do testers is that I'm already wearing makeup when I'm there.
I'll sometimes try testers on the back of my hand to check for potential skin tone mismatches that can be hard to assess from packaging. So it doesn't really matter if I'm already wearing makeup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
The $35 Dior is not the same as the $4 Wet and Wild.
It's really funny, because while I'm no stranger to the occasional prestige brand (mostly for skin care and eye makeup, though), Wet and Wild's three dollar balm stains are one of the best lip products I've used in a long time, for pigmentation level and staying power. I stocked up, since, because I love them, they will assuredly be discontinued.

I pick and choose and try stuff, and don't count anything out because of low price point. You can find some rock star products that way.

Old 03-19-2018, 11:16 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
It's really funny, because while I'm no stranger to the occasional prestige brand (mostly for skin care and eye makeup, though), Wet and Wild's three dollar balm stains are one of the best lip products I've used in a long time, for pigmentation level and staying power. I stocked up, since, because I love them, they will assuredly be discontinued.

I pick and choose and try stuff, and don't count anything out because of low price point. You can find some rock star products that way.
I did not say nor mean to imply one is better than the other, just that they are not the same. My wife has a collection of Dior lipsticks, but she also likes the Burt Bees? ones just as much, they just are not as intense in the color as Dior.

Old 03-19-2018, 11:20 AM

No, I know you didn't. It just triggered that point, for me.

Wet n' Wild of my youth was waxy crap. I was really impressed and surprised when I found that those balm stains are so good.

I don't really like the Burt's Bees ones (and I generally LOVE Burt's Bees for skincare, so that was a disappointment). They tend to collect in the corners of the mouth on me, which is my worst lip color pet peeve.

Old 03-19-2018, 12:24 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,239,803 times
I buy my makeup and a lot of my skincare at Sephora and a few other things at Ulta. I'm a Rouge through 2019 at Sephora and whatever is the highest thing at Ulta.

With that being said, Sephora will make you a sample of anything in the store. You just have to ask them. That way you can take it home and try it out.

Additionally, if you find something you really love, they will order it for you store to home, with free shipping.

Drugstore stuff has ingredients that are way too harsh for my skin. I have found what works for me and it's more of the organic brands (Too Faced, etc) Also, if you need a very fair foundation, Lancome is the way to go. They have like 40 something shades and you can always match. It's great.

Old 03-19-2018, 08:22 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,255,223 times
Hm, I haven't even thought about asking to start a new sample at Sephora. Thank you!

It's a good idea to ask for a sample to go, but I usually at a store when I'm almost out or I really don't want to go there again. Of course, it's worse when I have to go back to return the whole bottle but it's a gamble.

At Ulta they always ask for their loyalty card. When I say I have none they start asking for my phone. When I would not give them the phone last time the cashier literally asked if I know anyone with the phone. They seem to have some kind of bizarre checkout system. Or very poorly trained cashiers. Either way, it usually ends with mutual frustration.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:07 AM

1,440 posts, read 1,239,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelenap View Post
Hm, I haven't even thought about asking to start a new sample at Sephora. Thank you!

It's a good idea to ask for a sample to go, but I usually at a store when I'm almost out or I really don't want to go there again. Of course, it's worse when I have to go back to return the whole bottle but it's a gamble.

At Ulta they always ask for their loyalty card. When I say I have none they start asking for my phone. When I would not give them the phone last time the cashier literally asked if I know anyone with the phone. They seem to have some kind of bizarre checkout system. Or very poorly trained cashiers. Either way, it usually ends with mutual frustration.
You can literally get a sample of anything they can get into a sample pot--even perfumes, etc. I've walked out with samples just to take with me when I travel (only for my serums--those things are expensive!) Look into the Sephora brand too--it's gotten pretty good.

Ulta definitely does not have the same level of service as Sephora. I really only get my shampoo, razors, cotton balls, and Badescu drying cream, there.

Old 03-20-2018, 12:21 PM

5,451 posts, read 4,053,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Years ago when I loved on Long Island I worked for a company that manufactured private label make-up. Basically, in most cases, the $4 tube of mascara you buy at the drugstore has the exact same ingredients as the $20 tube from high end stores. You're paying for the brand and their advertising.

Anyway back to topic - I buy most of my make-up at Target or Sephora these days.
I once visited a makeup pencil factory in TN - same story, they made lip and eye pencils for all kinds of brands.

I picked up a lipstick in the dollar store for $1. I love the shade. Very natural looking on me.

I have also bought from the ELF line at Target.

In general I don't wear a lot of makeup though.

Old 03-20-2018, 01:06 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
I buy makeup everywhere and any way I can. Stores, online, and from friends (Avon, Younique).

Old 03-20-2018, 10:09 PM

1,149 posts, read 934,829 times
As I have gotten older, turned 40 last year, it is quality over quantity. Within the past six months or so, I have enjoyed IT cosmetics. Works great for me. Ulta is actually having a sale this month and have several sales on IT and Buxom (used for years). Both brands are great and the 50% off is well worth the price to stock up or try it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty