U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 11:10 PM

421 posts, read 291,087 times

Advertisements

I have pale skin that burns in just a few minutes and I live at high altitude in a very sunny climate. I use Shiseido sunscreen, I get it at Sephora. I think there are better one available in Europe, but at this point I'm satisfied enough with Shiseido that I don't bother trying to get any shipped to the US. The higher SPFs seem harder to wash off. All of the SPFs leave a whitish cast on my face at first but it gets absorbed in. Anyway, if I use it religiously, I don't have any shirt sleeve or shorts tan lines on my limbs even by the end of summer, so it does a great job of keeping the sun off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 11:30 PM

18,327 posts, read 11,145,530 times
The best sunscreen to get is any of those recommended by this website:

https://www.ewg.org/sunscreen/best-s.../#.WsGw9-jwbrc

While no sunscreen is perfect in all aspects, this website recommends those that offer best protection against both types of UV rays, while also not having nasty ingredients that can make people sick.

You don't need a SPF more than 20-30, anything more than that is just pure marketing ploy. The key is to apply a really good amount since people tend to skip, and also to keep reapplying. Another important thing is to not rely only on sunscreen, as it has mixed results in terms of preventing the most deadly melanomas. That means wearing clothing that covers your exposed skin as much as possible outdoors.

Old 04-03-2018, 11:15 AM

5,697 posts, read 2,499,909 times
Any good recommendations for a man (i.e. no makeup products), SPF 30, broadband, and without harsh chemicals? Ideally, it would be made by a company who's been around awhile, and has lots of experience with their products. It wouldn't need to be waterproof, although those would be good to know about too.

A bonus might be something popular in Europe or Canada that might be available in the US, or from the US but based on European/Canadian formulas (they usually have higher and safer standards). There are so many choices, it's hard to know where to begin. So many seem to be new products by startups and small companies. Thanks.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 04-03-2018 at 11:32 AM..

Old 04-08-2018, 08:17 PM

323 posts, read 129,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericjustin2 View Post
Is there any big difference between say spf 45 vs 55 vs 70 vs 85 vs 100? I checked that the higher it is the better it protects etc.

Im talking about neutrogena sunscreen.
Yes of course there's a major difference!! The higher the better!!! You should be using nothing under 55.

Old 04-08-2018, 08:20 PM

323 posts, read 129,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Any good recommendations for a man (i.e. no makeup products), SPF 30, broadband, and without harsh chemicals? Ideally, it would be made by a company who's been around awhile, and has lots of experience with their products. It wouldn't need to be waterproof, although those would be good to know about too.

A bonus might be something popular in Europe or Canada that might be available in the US, or from the US but based on European/Canadian formulas (they usually have higher and safer standards). There are so many choices, it's hard to know where to begin. So many seem to be new products by startups and small companies. Thanks.
Neutrogena® Men Triple Protect Face Lotion, Nivea Men Original Protective Lotion.

Old 04-08-2018, 08:22 PM

27,330 posts, read 30,540,296 times
I use L’avene Thermale. It is mineral and doesn’t t leave me ashy.

https://www.aveneusa.com/concerns/su...-lotion-spf-50

Old 04-08-2018, 08:35 PM

27,330 posts, read 30,540,296 times
Quote:

Check out the one I recommended!

Old 04-09-2018, 12:09 AM

18,327 posts, read 11,145,530 times
Quote:

The response right above yours

https://www.ewg.org/sunscreen/best-s.../#.WsGw9-jwbrc

Old 04-09-2018, 12:43 AM

7,388 posts, read 2,672,309 times
Coola Cucumber SPF (for face)- the stuff goes on smoothly and leaves the skin dewy cool not greasy and the cucumber scent is light touch.

Old 04-09-2018, 07:29 AM

1,997 posts, read 3,396,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I use L’avene Thermale. It is mineral and doesn’t t leave me ashy.

That looks like a good one. I've been using this Josie Maran spf 47 moisturizer as my daily sun protection. It's also mineral, and leaves no white cast on my face. It comes in a tinted version, too:
https://www.josiemarancosmetics.com/...h-sunboost-atb

I prefer mineral sunscreens, for their stability, and also because they don't leave orange stains on light colored clothing. This is a problem with chemical sunscreens containing avobenzone, especially if you have well water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty