Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 02:15 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,313,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna4k View Post
She always tells me she can’t cut shorter layers if my hair is too long yet I’ve seen woman with hair to the middle of their back and layers at their neck area. Does she just nor know how to cut it that way?
Well the title of your post is:My stylist says you can’t have short hair with short layers so which is it? Do you have short hair, medium length hair or, literally, long hair? No way to advise from the perspective of a hairstylist without knowing...so, as others have already suggested...take a photo of the style you want and take your chances; simple.

More simple

photos of long hair with layers

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...yers&FORM=IGRE

photos of medium length hair with layers

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...58B81B5560F8EA

photos of short hair with layers

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...0E8665BBCA342E
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 02:31 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,542,738 times
Do you by chance have fine or thin hair?

Years ago, my hair was about bra-strap length and a stylist insisted the shortest top layer she could cut was around my neck area. Intuitively I knew she was wrong, but didn't feel confident enough to argue with her.

Later, I found a stylist who understood exactly what I meant. I now have just about bra-strap length, with my top layer in back cut to the top of the occipital bone. This would be way too much layering for someone with fine or thin hair, but I don't so this amount of heavy layering works, and helps keep my hair much less bulky/poofy looking.

Old 04-03-2018, 08:51 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,125,092 times
The last person that cut my hair (and she is very good) told me she couldn't do it...that it can't be done. And yet, the stylist I used to have did it. Unfortunately, she moved away and now I'm on the search for someone that can replicate the cut.

Old 04-03-2018, 02:08 PM

3,097 posts, read 2,000,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
The last person that cut my hair (and she is very good) told me she couldn't do it...that it can't be done. And yet, the stylist I used to have did it. Unfortunately, she moved away and now I'm on the search for someone that can replicate the cut.
Could you elaborate a little, WW? Did she tell you why it couldn't be done? Was she commenting on texture of hair, density of hair, that hair is too straight or curly? I'm confused that someone is a "very good" HD, but is telling you a hairstyle cannot be done, when someone else does it.

Old 04-04-2018, 07:59 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,125,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
Could you elaborate a little, WW? Did she tell you why it couldn't be done? Was she commenting on texture of hair, density of hair, that hair is too straight or curly? I'm confused that someone is a "very good" HD, but is telling you a hairstyle cannot be done, when someone else does it.
It was strictly on having the layers starting shorter on the top and keeping the length of my hair (little past shoulders).. really, more of a shag but not quite. I wore it that way until my stylist left town. Now I'm being told it can't be done. I do have thinning hair and I like a lot of texture so I know I'm somewhat limited there and accept that. I don't want perfectly laying layers and I don't want a sudden jump in length between any layers.
I recently found out where she (old stylist is) is and she's 95 miles away... guess where I'm going next week?!!

I say she's good because I've seen lots of styles she's done on a lot of people and they are great. She's high up the Paul Mitchell ladder and even drives an official Paul Mitchell van to conferences and shows nationwide and teaches at those. Her real expertise tho is coloring.. which I don't do. Even tho I brought some pics similar to what I wanted (I couldn't really find a pic of what I had) I don't think she quite understood and therein lies the problem.

Old 04-04-2018, 12:08 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna4k View Post
She always tells me she can’t cut shorter layers if my hair is too long yet I’ve seen woman with hair to the middle of their back and layers at their neck area. Does she just nor know how to cut it that way?
That sounds like a very bad weave.

Long hair with neck length layers in the back is usually a glaring sign of a weave.

Old 04-06-2018, 09:31 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,188,904 times
Back in the day it think it was called a shag hair cut, you want a short shag. It was worn fairly straight. The only example I could think of is on Joan Jett, the rocker. Both girls and guys got this cut. The styist probably wasn't trained for this particular cut. Maybe go to someone older who has experience with shag cut.

https://youtu.be/1bzyWVvPZQ0
A more current picture of her, looks like the same cut.
Joan Jett https://g.co/kgs/F3FGCX

Last edited by Izzie1213; 04-06-2018 at 09:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty