Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 12:38 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,077,558 times

Advertisements

I wasn't invited, but I did see where I can try to request an invite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 01:08 PM

4,232 posts, read 6,909,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Nordstrom and Neiman Marcus have such excellent returns, and I get free shipping with both, it would kind of be a step down for me to start with Amazon. However, I am a Prime member.
Right? Many/most high end brands have free shipping and free returns these days anyway. I don't see the real benefit of this from Amazon.

Old 04-04-2018, 01:29 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
My only issue is that not all the products are sold by Amazon, so you're dealing with third parties and the retail arbitrage set who think they're going to make a fortune from buying at another store and selling at/close to list on Amazon. When buying from Amazon, I have no worries, but third party sellers may not be selling authentic merchandise, and may be selling factory seconds, something that the try before you buy would alleviate.

However, I do not see the same deals as I can get elsewhere, when I looked for a product that I need to purchase, well, want, not need, would be more accurate, another color of the Persol sunglasses. I found them on the service, but from third party sellers, who assert that they are new, but that's a no-go for me because there's no warranty on the purchase as XYZ person is not an authorized retailer, and the product is only fulfilled by Amazon, and it's close to the list price. The last pair that I bought in store at Saks were less expensive, though they were on sale, and that's an authorized outlet so if there's a problem, I can bring them into the store and the issue will be solved.

I think that for some clothing items, it could be a good thing, but from a third party seller there's really no difference than eBay and no consumer protection/warranty may be in effect because the item was not purchased through an authorized retailer. For fast fashion, or something inexpensive, that could work, but for something that I would buy at Nordstrom, Barneys, Saks, Bergdorf Goodman, or individual stores, I am not sold on the service. Why pay retail, or close to it, without consumer protection, and potentially purchase a counterfeit item? If I have the time from when the item is delivered and have to authenticate the purchase, it's just easier to complete it via an authorized website from a partner department store, or direct from the manufacturer if they offer online sales.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 04-04-2018, 07:49 PM

87 posts, read 58,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
it does say invite only, but i have it and ive never ordered a stitch of clothing from amazon so who knows.

I order lots of clothing from Amazon. I used to be a personal stylist so I don't need the help, but, I have lots of friends that are style deficient and might like this service.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lexie View Post
I order lots of clothing from Amazon. I used to be a personal stylist so I don't need the help, but, I have lots of friends that are style deficient and might like this service.
i guess im missing what the wardrobe service actually offers besides free shipping and returns. I understand the point behind Trunk Club or stitch fix etc. - I'm a guy and a lot of my guy friends ask me to help them buy clothes or pick out suits when they're buying them etc. I enjoy it and they are people who aren't necessary naturally fashion-perceptive. So I get the market for that.

Amazon Prime Wardrobe just looks like anyone can buy X amount of clothes and ship them and return what they dont want and get discounts for choosing multiple items. But from a fashion standpoint, there is a poor selection with hardly any personal curation. Perhaps I'm missing something

Old 04-05-2018, 08:06 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
For clothing, I will ONLY buy from a brick and mortar store. I don't care if there's a free return/trial. Returning is a hassle for me. i'd rather just try on at a store and then buy.

Old 04-05-2018, 08:21 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
For clothing, I will ONLY buy from a brick and mortar store. I don't care if there's a free return/trial. Returning is a hassle for me. i'd rather just try on at a store and then buy.
I find it to be the opposite. Brick and mortar is more hassle for me. I have stuff shipped to my home, keep what I like, and what I don't like goes right back in the packaging it came in. I slap the provided label on, seal it up, and I drop it in the UPS or USPS dropbox that's on my way to work. I don't even have to get out of the car. Even better if it's FedEx ... they pick up from my office. That's a lot less effort than making a trip to a store.

Old 04-05-2018, 08:22 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,338,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I usually only bought brands that I know that fit me well on Amazon (usually IZOD, with Nautica on rare occasions if I can find a good deal) since I know I am unlikely to deal with a return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I find it to be the opposite. Brick and mortar is more hassle for me. I have stuff shipped to my home, keep what I like, and what I don't like goes right back in the packaging it came in. I slap the provided label on, seal it up, and I drop it in the UPS or USPS dropbox that's on my way to work. I don't even have to get out of the car. Even better if it's FedEx ... they pick up from my office. That's a lot less effort than making a trip to a store.
Amazon doesn't offer a FedEx option for returns; it is usually UPS with USPS offered on some items. Since Prime Wardrobe will require at least 3 items, I presume returns will be via UPS.

Old 04-05-2018, 08:48 AM

USPS, UPS, and FedEx can all be picked up at my office which is nice. Brick and Mortar stores are good for seeing certain items but often don't carry my size + cut combo in store (or carry a very low stock). I also shop at a few more boutique stores that just have fit-shops and all the merchandise is ordered online. As long as the shipping and returns are free, I prefer it. However, these are also stores who are very consistent in fit and quality so I find I return far less than I used to when buying from other brands.

Old 04-05-2018, 08:56 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
I prefer brick and mortar because of the lighting and mirrors. I get lots of things online but not clothes unless they're from retailers that also have a store presence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty