Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 03:03 PM

71 posts, read 63,672 times

Advertisements

As I came here with a question, I saw the ‘men over 25....’ post which mine is a similar question. My question is what is an appropriate walking shoe for a 62 year old woman— me. I wear sketchers go walk but I just saw a pair of sneakers I really like. Sperry too sider Pier View. They’re a pull on sneaker with laces you don’t lace. I put them in my basket when it occurred to me that maybe they’re too young for me? Yikes. I wear black yoga capri pants a lot when walking and even meeting someone for lunch, shopping etc. i thought they’d be cute with but now I’m not sure!
Oh and while we’re on the subject what about cold shoulder tops? I picked one up that’s kinda a tee shirt style and then had second thoughts. Maybe I’m just getting too old for this stuff?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 03:40 PM

5,449 posts, read 4,043,852 times
If you like them, wear them and don't worry about your age or what other people think. I bet you will look great in them!!

Myself, I like my walking shoes to be either all black or all white - I can't stand the ones in bright colors and swooshes. That is about all I wear so they have to look fairly sober.

Old 04-26-2018, 03:49 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
I agree with VTsnowbird. If YOU like them, and YOU think they're cute, than get them!

And I'm 60.

Old 04-26-2018, 03:56 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
The last thing I worry about when picking walking shoes is appearance. What good does looking cute do if you can't stand to use them?

Old 04-26-2018, 03:57 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,055,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip flops 3878 View Post
As I came here with a question, I saw the ‘men over 25....’ post which mine is a similar question. My question is what is an appropriate walking shoe for a 62 year old woman— me.
To respond only to this part of your question. If you have any foot troubles at all then seek out a good foot doctor to see which type of shoe is harming you then go from there.

Today's women's , and some men's, shoes are not foot wear at all. They are cruel torture devices for the vain and foolish. Vanity can mislead the most wise and seasoned at times so beware.

Old 04-26-2018, 04:08 PM

71 posts, read 63,672 times
Fortunately I don’t have any foot problems or knee problems. I actually love my sketchers, they’re extremely comfortable but was looking for something different. These would be black, I’m not into the colored show thing either.

Old 04-26-2018, 06:18 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Sperry’s are cute and all ages. Although they are kinda hip for a few demographics. Don’t forget they started as boating shoes. Not usually popular with the young’ins.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:12 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,504,547 times
I agree with wearing what you like that feels good!

I love my Skechers, too. My daughter has taken my GoWalk for herself which is a great reason to get a new pair

Old 04-26-2018, 08:56 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,690,565 times
Age has nothing to do with footwear. Nope.
Wear something that's comfortable, that gives your feet good support, and looks come second. I assume these shoes are mainly for walking and when you want to look fashionable, change into something else?

I mean who cares or sees you when you're walking?

A friend asked about tennis shoes as she was going on a trip with her husband and it'll be with a lot of site seeing. She said she went into a store and was overwhelmed with the selection.

I'll tell you what I told her. Don't worry about price. A good pair of shoes to walk in will pay for themselves. If they're well made they'll last a good year or longer. I prefer light weight shoes and no I don't look at shoes by 'labels' -- Like designated 'walking shoes' 'cross training' 'running', etc. No wonder she was confused.

The brand I use is Asics. I wear running shoes because this company does the research and keeps improving on their shoes. It is the shoe two of my boys were told to buy when they were in Cross Country / Track. If you find the right style that works for you, you'll notice the difference and your feet will thank you. I'd say go to a store, try on various shoes, and see what you like. Then look online and visit a few sites and blogs and find what you want.

Again, it depends on how much walking you'll be doing. I wear my Asics all day and never have any foot or back problems - They're that supportive and well designed.

Old 04-26-2018, 09:54 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaces View Post
Age has nothing to do with footwear. Nope.
Wear something that's comfortable, that gives your feet good support, and looks come second. I assume these shoes are mainly for walking and when you want to look fashionable, change into something else?

I mean who cares or sees you when you're walking?

A friend asked about tennis shoes as she was going on a trip with her husband and it'll be with a lot of site seeing. She said she went into a store and was overwhelmed with the selection.

I'll tell you what I told her. Don't worry about price. A good pair of shoes to walk in will pay for themselves. If they're well made they'll last a good year or longer. I prefer light weight shoes and no I don't look at shoes by 'labels' -- Like designated 'walking shoes' 'cross training' 'running', etc. No wonder she was confused.

The brand I use is Asics. I wear running shoes because this company does the research and keeps improving on their shoes. It is the shoe two of my boys were told to buy when they were in Cross Country / Track. If you find the right style that works for you, you'll notice the difference and your feet will thank you. I'd say go to a store, try on various shoes, and see what you like. Then look online and visit a few sites and blogs and find what you want.

Again, it depends on how much walking you'll be doing. I wear my Asics all day and never have any foot or back problems - They're that supportive and well designed.

I have a pair of ultra-light Asics racing shoes that I wear for most of my running workouts and if I wanted to wear them out prematurely, I would use them for walking also. I've found that the best running shoes are also the best for walking. But they are decorated like a pair of clown shoes, as are most models that give good performance. They are the fastest shoes I've ever had for running and after a year of service, show no sign of breaking down. I have developed no injuries or strains during this time and one nagging pain in a foot went away, after I began using them.

For other purposes, I bought a pair of 361 Degree cross-training shoes, the Bio-Speed model. They are solid black and are in between ordinary and high-performance shoes in weight and built very sturdily. They are excellent for comfort and I wear them for all workouts, except serious running. But sometimes, I do run in them and they are passably good for that. They are quite expensive ordinarily, but I got them on a special sale, at less than 1/4 regular price. These 361 Degree shoes are engineered by the team of Jim Monahan, who previously played a big role in improving the Asics shoes to what they are. It is a Chinese brand, but how many shoes that we can buy, are not made there or in some other country in the region?

A drawback to the Bio-Speed shoes, is that they must have their laces loosened to put them on and even then, require some work to get your heels inside. But their qualities make them worth this effort. Another thing that may be in common with all the 361 Degree models, is the deep, longitudinal cavity in the middle of the outsole. They occasionally pick up and carry rocks and also fir cones, which are abundant in my area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty