Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 09:46 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Exactly my point.
Note that Amazon fulfills most Prime items including those sold by third party sellers, so Amazon's 30-day free returns policy for clothing applies for them regardless of whether or not it is actually sold by Amazon. Where the policy typically doesn't apply is for seller-fulfilled items (i.e. items shipped by third party sellers directly), most of which are non-Prime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 10:06 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I was wondering, if you ever buy clothing from eBay, under what scenarios would you buy from there?

There are two scenarios that I would buy from eBay. The first scenario is that if somebody likes a product from a previous season that is no longer available in department stores nor on Amazon. This just happened recently on a shirt from Spring 2017 that me and my pastor own that my father wanted, and it is no longer available in department stores nor on Amazon, and luckily I was able to find it in his size on eBay.

The other scenario is for low-cost basic needs such as T-shirts which would otherwise get flagged as "Add On" items on Amazon.

What are your scenarios where you would buy clothes from eBay?
I buy most of my clothes on eBay. The only problem I have ever run into is sellers trying to pass off used clothing as new. Some of them even go to the trouble of repackaging the clothing to make it look like it is new. Then when I ripped open the plastic, I realized that the clothing was not even clean, and in some cases was even torn. So I tend to stick to the larger sellers who have sales in the thousands of items, and who I can trust the items are factory sealed.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:39 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I buy most of my clothes on eBay. The only problem I have ever run into is sellers trying to pass off used clothing as new. Some of them even go to the trouble of repackaging the clothing to make it look like it is new. Then when I ripped open the plastic, I realized that the clothing was not even clean, and in some cases was even torn. So I tend to stick to the larger sellers who have sales in the thousands of items, and who I can trust the items are factory sealed.
Larger sellers vs small sellers--it doesn't really matter. You can tell what they're like by checking their feedback before bidding or buying. Also, try to find a more experienced seller. Some of the newbies don't know what they're doing and they may get booted off ebay, but if you stick with the sellers who have been there for a while and haven't been kicked off, and have around 99% or 100% positive feedback, you have a very good chance of success.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:46 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,238,711 times
Anything I bought new..... if I searched on Amazon. I found it cheaper on Ebay.

I bough some used vintage specialty T's you otherwise can't find. Some I collect and some to wear. I bought a antique classic gas Parlor Stove already as the priciest item to date. I bought over the years .... a few hundred things. Only a couple issues that did get addressed in communication with a seller.

Old 05-01-2018, 12:00 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
Yes to some vintage attire! Naturally its 'used'. Its vintage .
Only four sellers get my interest when they post . I usually stay in budget and within days its at my doorstep. One seller has me on her early preview list! I love it,since she knows my taste and will let me know if it was stored properly. Sometimes vintage can actually get moldy from how it was stored.

Old 05-01-2018, 03:29 AM

836 posts, read 1,777,615 times
Quote:
The first scenario is that if somebody likes a product from a previous season that is no longer available in department stores nor on Amazon. This just happened recently on a shirt from Spring 2017 that me and my pastor own that my father wanted, and it is no longer available in department stores nor on Amazon, and luckily I was able to find it in his size on eBay.
I was just looking the other day for exact brand (in a bigger size) and model of shoes that my son had recently wore out... he is very stubborn about wearing new unfamiliar things/styles! (sensory issues)
Wore the same jacket for 3 years straight (luckily, I bought a bigger size). Before then, he wore exactly the same one in a smaller size for 2 years. For last winter, I went on eBay to look for one just like it... nope, no luck this time! Bought one that looked VERY similar, but came apart at every wash (so I had to stitch back together various spots) - SO much unlike the previous one that really took a beating, and not a single stitch came loose! (simple Walmart jacket)

Old 05-01-2018, 08:10 AM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times
Also, beware of dropshippers who sell clothing from Amazon for inflated prices on eBay. I usually can spot those listings since they will have the exact same color and size selections as Amazon.

Old 05-01-2018, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Larger sellers vs small sellers--it doesn't really matter. You can tell what they're like by checking their feedback before bidding or buying. Also, try to find a more experienced seller. Some of the newbies don't know what they're doing and they may get booted off ebay, but if you stick with the sellers who have been there for a while and haven't been kicked off, and have around 99% or 100% positive feedback, you have a very good chance of success.
Yes, experienced sellers = larger sellers. If somebody has 10,000 plus sales of the same item, and 99% positive feedback, they are probably doing something right. If they have just five sales of that items, it's a gamble what the items might actually be. They could just be selling a few items of used, or returned clothing.

Old 05-01-2018, 09:13 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Yes, experienced sellers = larger sellers. If somebody has 10,000 plus sales of the same item, and 99% positive feedback, they are probably doing something right. If they have just five sales of that items, it's a gamble what the items might actually be. They could just be selling a few items of used, or returned clothing.
Experienced sellers can be large or small. From personal experience, I have a relative who sells high end men's clothing on ebay. He messed up a lot when he was new. After he got the hang of it, he knew enough to look the clothing over carefully before listing, how to take great pictures, how to write a meaningful description. He knew how to communicate with the buyers. He does great now and has a following on ebay. He does have an ebay store now (fairly large seller) but he will never have a huge store because he is only one person. He doesn't want to hire employees or rent a storage unit.

I have internet friends who used to be big sellers on ebay but have downsized. They are really good sellers who either retired and are just doing ebay part time or they got real life jobs and downsized their ebay job. But they've been selling on ebay for 15-20 years! They might have only 20 listings--but their feedback is 100% and that's with maybe 2000+ feedbacks. Beware of people with low feedback, like ten or so, and mostly beware of people with less than a 99% or 100% feedback rating. CHECK THE FEEDBACK.

Old 05-01-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Also, beware of dropshippers who sell clothing from Amazon for inflated prices on eBay. I usually can spot those listings since they will have the exact same color and size selections as Amazon.
There is nothing wrong with dropshippers on eBay. Yes, you have to compare the price to Amazon and Walmart to see what the markup is. But I buy many items on eBay for 50 cents to $1 over the Amazon Prime price. For that I get the items in two day free shipping, and don't have to pay $100 a year for Amazon Prime. The extra markup for it, doesn't come close to the price I would pay for Amazon Prime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty