Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 10:20 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Long ago, I gave up expecting clothing (particularly pants) to fit me “off the rack”. I err on the larger size, and have them tailored to fit me perfectly.

And I actually prefer shopping for shoes online, as long as it’s someplace that offers free shipping both ways. I order whatever sizes I want to try, and return whatever doesn’t work. For me, it’s easier than going to a store.

Same for me. Plus, I try to remember to ALWAYS remember to read the reviews, if there are any.

I can't say I've never made a blunder, shopping online...but reading the reviews have helped me be smarter about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 10:31 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
If only it was that easy. Sizes make no sense at all to me. Right now in my closet are clothes from size S to XXXL that fit me.

Old 05-09-2018, 11:04 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
If only it was that easy. Sizes make no sense at all to me. Right now in my closet are clothes from size S to XXXL that fit me.

I hear ya.

Since so many online clothes come from China, I really pay attention to reviews, to see if they're true to size or not. (Usually not. LOL) But it helps me to know if I need to size up or down, or not.

Old 05-09-2018, 12:26 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desperatedogadvice View Post
I just diet or eat more until I fit into one or the other.
That doesn't necessarily help. You may not be proportioned in a way that makes fitting into clothing easier. if you increase or decrease in weight. I was easiest to fit at the higher end of my weights. The lower end just means more problems with waist and hips.

Old 05-09-2018, 12:45 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Glad you all can relate.

But it's just aggravating to have to charge FOUR pairs of shoes to my credit card -- knowing I'm going to return three of them.
I guess I just haven't accepted that inconvenience yet. I shouldn't have to order four pairs, when I should be able to try them on in a store, an just get the one I want. But c'est la vie. I'll live.

Besides, some companies flag customers who order lots of items an return them.

I would like to buy reasonably priced quality shoes....but I think I'll just hit a few Payless stores, find what fits in person, and then order more pairs online. I just hate buying cheap, non-leather shoes. (In my opinion SAS shoes are just not stylish. And I'm sorry, $150 for a pair of shoes is above my price point.)

Lest I be accused of basing Payless -- I don't want to disparage it too too much.....I do shop there by default. And it does carry some leather shoes.....but let's not kid ourselves the shoes are not the best quality. If DSW had more 12 and 13s, now that Aerosoles and Easy Spirit stores have closed...DSW would be my go-to shoe store. But it doesn't carry many 12 wides at all. And no 13s. Same with Clarks...if it had more 12w shoes in stores, I'd just suck up the higher price point, because at least they are bigger quality.

Oh well, off to Payless for shoes that will make my feet sweat!
Don't you have some independent shoe stores? They might be a start.

But I'm used to having my stuff altered...one way or another, just part of life. Most of us aren't exactly "average."

And, there are brands out there that fit better.

Old 05-09-2018, 01:24 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
I'm not one size in anything. I wear multiple sizes in pants and a large in tops.

Old 05-09-2018, 01:29 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,077,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Yep, there's no universal sizing so it's all over the place. I have pants ranging from size 2-6. Shirts XS-L.
I utilize their sizing charts, but it would be easier if companies weren't so dramatically different.

You also really have to watch where it comes from. Many cheap, trendy items online come from China and run very small.

Old 05-09-2018, 02:37 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,126,824 times
Quote:
Don't you have some independent shoe stores? They might be a start.
Independent women's shoe stores, for sizes 12 and 13?
(I think they went the way of the horse and buggy.)

Tell me more.
Even if they're not in my area, I'd be willing to check out their website.

Old 05-09-2018, 02:46 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,429,204 times
I just bought two new tops in Marshalls today, one is a Medium and the other an XL. I always try clothing on because sizes vary from make to make.

Old 05-09-2018, 03:48 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,608,438 times
If you have any Tanger outlet malls in the area, you might be able to find shoes. The clothing tends to be too young for me, but I find boot cut jeans and plain A-line skirt periodically.

As a matter of course, I generally need do a little tailoring. Last summer it was adding hems to ill-fitting shirts and re-working plunging necklines: I added cotton inserts. The shirts were $1 each at a garage sale, so it was worth fixing them. This summer, I'll turn the ill-fitting pants I ordered online into shorts -- not worth returning because I knew I could re-use them, and they will make nice shorts.

I don't know how people who are between sizes or somehow get stuck with ill-fitting clothing get by without a sewing machine. The decent tailors in my area charge an arm and a leg, even for straight-forward hems on jeans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty