Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 10:28 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,826,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
He's looking for emotional support from others to go ahead and wear them, that there's nothing wrong with graphic t-shirts and whatnot. I'm not criticizing him for it, just calling it like it is. You ask for an opinion, then be prepared for all opinions both good and bad.
I know people on this forum have mocked other fashion trends that I personally wear, and I could care less what they think. Like cargo shorts for example, cargo shorts are one of the most mocked articles of clothing in the fashion blogosphere, but I proudly wear them on vacation as they actually serve a useful function (instead of carrying a fanny pack which is far worse).
Incorrect. I didn't start this thread for "emotional support". I started it because I found four perfectly good T-shirts, that I almost forgot about, and I don't want them to go to waste. So far, it looks like I can still wear them. Just less often than I could when I first bought them. Which is normal and understandable.

Oh, and I like cargo shorts too. They work great in the summer, when I don't have a jacket with extra pockets, but I still carry a lot of stuff around. Better cargo shorts than a man-purse (murse?), at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2018, 10:43 PM

7,665 posts, read 5,381,769 times
You don't need to wear them out in public. Wear them around the house, perhaps as tops to jammy-bottoms.

We always bought souvenir T-shirts for hubby on vacations with the names of islands or whatever on them and that's what I have suggested he do with his, especially the ones that are of lesser quality.

Old 05-16-2018, 10:55 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,236,223 times
To each his or her own. Personally I've never been a fan of graphic tees on anyone but young children.

Old 05-16-2018, 11:12 PM

3 posts, read 1,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I was going through my closet, and found four graphic T-shirts I haven't worn in at least a year. I originally bought them when I was 27 or 28, but didn't wear them all the time. I usually saved them for "nice casual" occasions like at an outdoor concert, or for hipster-oriented events like a Renaissance Fair. So they're still in good condition, and I can wear them without looking messy or careless.

The graphics are hipster-esque indeed: a spoof of Salvador Dali with electric guitars instead of watches, a row of broken telephone lines set against a mountain backdrop, a black-and-white Windows XP logo getting smashed by a rock, and an abstract rendition of the Golden Gate Bridge in dashed and dotted lines.

However, I'm 35 now, and can't help but feel like I'm too old for these T-shirts. I also vaguely remember reading these things on men's fashion sites, that you shouldn't wear graphic tees if you're over 30. But I do like the designs, the fabric is good-quality, and they still look presentable.

What does everyone else on here think? Feel free to elaborate.
I think you should wear the T-shirt if you want to and not to worry about what others think.

Old 05-16-2018, 11:31 PM

1,517 posts, read 977,657 times
Sure, why not? If you like it, wear it.

I'm 34 and I have a closet full of logos, graphics and such and I couldn't give two S-words what other people think of me for it. It's their insecurity, not mine.

FYI, a graphic of anything destroying a Winblows logo is definitely *not* "hipster-esque", since most hipsters likely don't have the sense or intelligence to convert to Linux as you apparently have done (or even know what it is, living in the vacuum of detergent-eater videos and cat pictures inside their portable telephones). If anything it shows the wearer has a brain, because ***** Microshark.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:18 AM

16,342 posts, read 12,311,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttark View Post
FYI, a graphic of anything destroying a Winblows logo is definitely *not* "hipster-esque", since most hipsters likely don't have the sense or intelligence to convert to Linux as you apparently have done (or even know what it is, living in the vacuum of detergent-eater videos and cat pictures inside their portable telephones). If anything it shows the wearer has a brain, because ***** Microshark.
Hipsters aren't on Windows or Linux. They're all on Macs.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:08 AM

188 posts, read 200,687 times
I agree with everyone else who's saying fashion sites are BS and graphic tees are fine to wear in causal occasions as long as they're not crude or inappropriate in some way.

I don't wear graphic tees myself, but I think they're cool because they tell you a little bit about the wearer's personality or hobbies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I know people on this forum have mocked other fashion trends that I personally wear, and I could care less what they think. Like cargo shorts for example, cargo shorts are one of the most mocked articles of clothing in the fashion blogosphere, but I proudly wear them on vacation as they actually serve a useful function (instead of carrying a fanny pack which is far worse).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Oh, and I like cargo shorts too. They work great in the summer, when I don't have a jacket with extra pockets, but I still carry a lot of stuff around. Better cargo shorts than a man-purse (murse?), at least.

I only wear cargo pants and cargo shorts anytime I leave the house (except to work) so that I don't have to carry a purse. A surprising number of people don't understand why, as a female, I don't want to carry a purse. :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I'm a 40+ woman who unapologetically wears graphic tees. Some of my favorites: Dorothy and her Oz friends taking a selfie with her cell phone, a Stars Hollow Dance Marathon tee (from Gilmore Girls), a "Goonies Never Say Die" tee, and one that says "I crochet because killing people is frowned upon."
I love that! XD

I saw one recently that references the Spoon Theory that said, "No more spoons...only knives left." If I didn't have a zillion t-shirts already I'd get it.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:12 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,826,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttark View Post
I actually like Windows. I've used Linux at work only once in my whole career. (I work in IT.) But back in the Windows XP era, I lost count of how many times people messed up their computer in stupid ways, that took hours to fix, because they were a local administrator by default. So I do enjoy seeing a Windows XP logo getting smashed with a rock. (They probably made it black-and-white so they could say it's a parody, and not have to pay Microsoft for using its copyrighted logo.)

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 05-17-2018 at 08:23 AM..

Old 05-17-2018, 08:17 AM

34,829 posts, read 30,898,649 times
My dad just turned 60 and one of his favorite shirts is a graphic T-Shirt with a chess piece overlaying a fingerprint that says "it's in my DNA." He loves to play chess. I think it makes him look younger and more energetic.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:35 AM

3,841 posts, read 4,491,118 times
Default Hubby and I are geeks...

...so we have a collection of T-shirts we've collected from Comic-Con over the years.

Every so often we weed them out and give them away, but we do have our favorites.
These days, now that my hubs is over 40 he rarely wears any, but does wear one on certain occasions for fun, like his Spock one to a Marvel movie or con. His non Comic-Con shirt with logos are usually science, space or computer related and he might wear one under an open button down if hanging out with friends who are all pretty like minded, but it really depends on the occasion. So yeah, he's definitely "grown out" of wearing them over the years and even though he's an uber geek, never wore them very often anyway. He feels most comfortable in a loose casual buttoned up short sleeved shirt with collar and a plain white t-shirt underneath.

On the other hand, I'm a crazy ol' lady and don't care what people think, ha ha!

My faves for any casual use is a black T with a small Comicon logo patch on the arm and in front the phrase "Klaatu barada nikto", from the 1950's film "The Day the Earth Stood Still", a black T with the Targaryen Red Dragon Crest from Games of Thrones. I also have a blue T with a very colorful Chewbacca face. It's a bit more garish, but it's fun and really comfortable, and I get to play the eccentric grandma when out with the grandkids, ha ha... of course I'm not wearing any of these shirts in any serious setting, so again it depends on the occasion. I work part time so I wear them around the house, running errands, movies, etc. so I can get away with it... most of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty