Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 10:24 AM

522 posts, read 342,612 times

Advertisements

I'm talking turquoise, light green, yellow, light orange, salmon (ok that is a bit darker but not a color I am used to wearing).

I went shopping with a female friend lately and she was trying to convince me to buy shirts in those colors. I typically wear darker colors like navy, black, and the like.

She also suggested some white shorts as well as turquoise flat front type shorts. They were white shorts with light gray stripes and she said they look beachy and would look good on me. I typically wear khaki or olive cargo shorts.

I'm open to changing up my style a bit but wanted to get some more feedback from other ladies. What do you like to see on guys in the summer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 10:53 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Depends on the guy. I have no color preferences, but I like when guys are game to make bold choices.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:55 AM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
I like darker colors in the fall/winter and lighter/brighter colors in warmer weather.

Old 05-17-2018, 11:16 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
I like whatever colors are seasonally appropriate and look good on the wearer.

Old 05-17-2018, 11:52 AM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times
While I am a guy, I tend to wear mostly lighter colors, especially lighter shades of pink such as Fairy Tale. I don't only wear them in the spring either. I even have some pink fleeces. I sometimes get positive comments on my pink shirts.

Old 05-17-2018, 02:51 PM

188 posts, read 202,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm4256 View Post
I'm talking turquoise, light green, yellow, light orange, salmon (ok that is a bit darker but not a color I am used to wearing).

I went shopping with a female friend lately and she was trying to convince me to buy shirts in those colors. I typically wear darker colors like navy, black, and the like.

She also suggested some white shorts as well as turquoise flat front type shorts. They were white shorts with light gray stripes and she said they look beachy and would look good on me. I typically wear khaki or olive cargo shorts.

I'm open to changing up my style a bit but wanted to get some more feedback from other ladies. What do you like to see on guys in the summer?
I don't have a preference for what guys wear. I expect them to wear what they are comfortable and confident in. Colors don't really matter as long as it fits pretty well and is clean. It's nice to know guys with different styles.

For the record though, I do prefer neutral and dark colored shorts (like khaki cargo) and shirts for myself, and would be happy to know a dude with similar tastes. I don't like light colored clothes because they're a dirt magnet. (I have a couple shirts with white sleeves and within an hour of putting them on I seem to find a way to stain them.)

Old 05-17-2018, 08:47 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,504,547 times
If it looks good on a guy and fits well, then it works for me.
That being said, I'm a bigger fan of darker colors for myself. (I'm a woman)

Old 05-17-2018, 08:50 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,952,361 times
How they fill them out is more important.

Old 05-18-2018, 12:42 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,766,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm4256 View Post

This is why women have no business dressing men. Those colors in knit shirts, are FINE, if they work with your coloring and build, and if they are appropriate for your social class, your ethnoreligious group, and your locality. Bright/Light colors for men, tend to be accepted by upper crust, WASPy, Old Stock, Protestants and Reform Jews. And those men in the brights and pastels, tend to be bigger and blonder and richer than average. Men who have little to fear (economically or socially) are more apt to be seen wearing lights and brights.

Men in rougher communities (such as virtually all American inner cities), and from backgrounds which include a lot of gender-obsessive "values" from "The Old Country", tend to have incorporated homophobia and gender obsession into their sartorial choices, and are more limited to the dark, colorless clothing. Men from cultures of fear and predation, tend toward clothing that is dark and dull.

Remember, the America where virtually everybody was the same race (Norse) and social class (Middle), is GONE. Fashion is getting to be as balkanized the rest of American life. Your girlfriend could get you Gay-bashed, or mugged because you looked vulnerable (or "disrespected"/discounted/belittled by peers), because she dressed you inappropriately for the realities of your personal world.

Different colors work with different skin tones. And then there are figure problems which can be made better or worse with your choice of colors.

Men are supposed to look V-shaped (wide shoulders and narrow pelvises). Dark makes things look smaller, while light tones make things look bigger. Cold colors minimize the perception of size, while warm colors increase the apparent size of objects. All of this being RELATIVE - relative to our surroundings, and to the colors of other things we're wearing (and relative to our hair color, and our skin color).

Women are SUPPOSED to have wide hips. And narrow shoulders are not viewed (on us) as being marks of loserhood.

A woman can wear a dark grey top, and bright yellow pants, and the resultant bulbous effect, will be OK (assuming she has an average build). The average guy, however, will look... well, beyond the negative social statement.... will look like, to quote Mr. Kruger from Seinfeld, "...a pear-shaped LOSER." (https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/5e9d465...1-5b6e0f7aa8f0)

Being accepted and respected by other men, is far more important to a guy, than is pleasing a woman (...just as we gals, if we're being honest, package ourselves to gain the approval of other women. We fear the contempt of the mean girls, more than we crave the gaze of men.).

Women are turned-on by pretty much ANYTHING. And we tend to be far more bisexual than are men. Women don't really mind as much, if you're pear-shaped and femmy-looking. We're turned-on by other women, just as much as by men. (well... not ME... but women in-general) That's why women have swooned over the likes of Prince, and Michael Jackson. So, if those yellow seersucker shorts make your hips look a yard wide, and make your butt look like a gargantuan daffodil bulb, most of us won't care - as long as that nice blue shirt makes your teeth look whiter. We tend to see DETAILS, while men tend to see the whole. To us, those white-appearing teeth are more important than your body's proportions - at least while we're dressing you.

Of course, after we're through dressing you like a tourist, with the white shorts and the sky-blue shirt all tucked-in so nahssss, we'll be eyeing the guy who just walked in. You know... the one who looks like a total gorilla - the one with the extreme V-shape - the one with the narrow butt and yard-wide shoulders - the one in the black jeans and the white wifebeater. https://goo.gl/images/Dum5zo That's the one we'll dump you for, the second he pays us any attention.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 05-18-2018 at 01:55 AM..

Old 05-18-2018, 08:51 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
This is why women have no business dressing men. Those colors in knit shirts, are FINE, if they work with your coloring and build, and if they are appropriate for your social class, your ethnoreligious group, and your locality. Bright/Light colors for men, tend to be accepted by upper crust, WASPy, Old Stock, Protestants and Reform Jews. And those men in the brights and pastels, tend to be bigger and blonder and richer than average. Men who have little to fear (economically or socially) are more apt to be seen wearing lights and brights.

Men in rougher communities (such as virtually all American inner cities), and from backgrounds which include a lot of gender-obsessive "values" from "The Old Country", tend to have incorporated homophobia and gender obsession into their sartorial choices, and are more limited to the dark, colorless clothing. Men from cultures of fear and predation, tend toward clothing that is dark and dull.

Remember, the America where virtually everybody was the same race (Norse) and social class (Middle), is GONE. Fashion is getting to be as balkanized the rest of American life. Your girlfriend could get you Gay-bashed, or mugged because you looked vulnerable (or "disrespected"/discounted/belittled by peers), because she dressed you inappropriately for the realities of your personal world.

Different colors work with different skin tones. And then there are figure problems which can be made better or worse with your choice of colors.

Men are supposed to look V-shaped (wide shoulders and narrow pelvises). Dark makes things look smaller, while light tones make things look bigger. Cold colors minimize the perception of size, while warm colors increase the apparent size of objects. All of this being RELATIVE - relative to our surroundings, and to the colors of other things we're wearing (and relative to our hair color, and our skin color).

Women are SUPPOSED to have wide hips. And narrow shoulders are not viewed (on us) as being marks of loserhood.

A woman can wear a dark grey top, and bright yellow pants, and the resultant bulbous effect, will be OK (assuming she has an average build). The average guy, however, will look... well, beyond the negative social statement.... will look like, to quote Mr. Kruger from Seinfeld, "...a pear-shaped LOSER." (https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/5e9d465...1-5b6e0f7aa8f0)

Being accepted and respected by other men, is far more important to a guy, than is pleasing a woman (...just as we gals, if we're being honest, package ourselves to gain the approval of other women. We fear the contempt of the mean girls, more than we crave the gaze of men.).

Women are turned-on by pretty much ANYTHING. And we tend to be far more bisexual than are men. Women don't really mind as much, if you're pear-shaped and femmy-looking. We're turned-on by other women, just as much as by men. (well... not ME... but women in-general) That's why women have swooned over the likes of Prince, and Michael Jackson. So, if those yellow seersucker shorts make your hips look a yard wide, and make your butt look like a gargantuan daffodil bulb, most of us won't care - as long as that nice blue shirt makes your teeth look whiter. We tend to see DETAILS, while men tend to see the whole. To us, those white-appearing teeth are more important than your body's proportions - at least while we're dressing you.

Of course, after we're through dressing you like a tourist, with the white shorts and the sky-blue shirt all tucked-in so nahssss, we'll be eyeing the guy who just walked in. You know... the one who looks like a total gorilla - the one with the extreme V-shape - the one with the narrow butt and yard-wide shoulders - the one in the black jeans and the white wifebeater. https://goo.gl/images/Dum5zo That's the one we'll dump you for, the second he pays us any attention.
While some of this may have been true a while ago, younger people aren’t really as caught up in these so-called norms you mentioned. Even in the so-called inner city. More shapes and coloros are being worn by all types of men. Men are becoming a lot more fashion forward as well and tge hard and fast rukes are going away, particularly with color and fit. It is no longer “gay”to wear slim fitting jeans or other clothing. It is ok to wear weird colored pants - check out the NBA guys off the court. This is all way out of date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty